Avaaz Foundation Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Avaaz Foundation Interview Questions

Updated Jun 15, 2018

3.5

Campaigner Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Avaaz Foundation (London, England (UK)).

Interview

Really detailed interview task which demanded a full weekend's worth of research and planning. Interesting task which I enjoyed, however, after a weird Skype interview with someone in the company, they disappeared off the face of the earth and gave no feedback. I accept that very often you don't get feedback at the CV stage, but when you've asked someone to complete an extensive task for you it is incredibly rude not to give feedback. I don't normally have such strongly negative feelings after an interview process, but this was terrible. I had been really excited about the prospect of working for them, but after this series of interactions (or non-interactions), I have a very low estimation of them. Interviews can be a chance to build advocates for your company, even among those you don't hire. This was a terrible experience.

Interview Questions

Avaaz Foundation Response

Jun 19, 2018 – Chief Operating Officer

Thank you for posting this -- we absolutely agree that giving candidates feedback after they have dedicated time to an interview and written exercise is important and respectful. Our policy is to... More

Campaign Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Avaaz Foundation.

Interview

Short Skype one on one interviews + written assignments. It seemed rather unfriendly. They came off as quite fearful and combative on their side, like they were trying to prevent certain kinds of people from joining the organization. They repeatedly stated (in both interviews) that Avaaz is very hierarchical and asked if I would be alright in such an environment. I found it strange because most organizations/companies wouldn't be proud of this. I lost interest in the middle of the process. By the end, I had the sense that this was a pretty harsh and cold work environment.

Interview Questions

• What is your trigger? Avaaz is hierarchical. Are you okay working with a hierarchical organization?   Answer Question

Campaigner Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Avaaz Foundation.

Interview

I applied (extensive questionnaire) and moved on to a test. I then did two interviews. They were very odd and felt manipulative. In the middle of one they said "I was going to ask you some questions about emotions but I feel that you've been very closed off and not in touch with your emotions." (Then they asked the crying at a staff retreat question that other reviewers have mentioned.)

Look, I care about workplace culture and fit and don't mind questions about cultural fit, but it is incredibly manipulative to play a trick (likely they ask that of all applicants regardless of how they show up) and force you to emotional openness when you don't even have the job yet. I was really uncomfortable by how disrespectful two white middle-class senior staff were in regards to manipulative questions about emotions. In the end, they rejected me, saying I was very strategic (read: overqualified for the junior position) but needed to work on my self-management. To make such a sweeping assessment after meeting me briefly in an interview rather than making an assessment after working with me is just poor hiring practices and is disrespectful to the applicant.

They invited me to apply again in a year and I decided against it because they came off as very cultlike and suppressive of dissent and protective of the CEO who has been there for years. They don't want anyone who will shake things up.

I am now in a senior position at another digital first organization that has a much better culture than Avaaz and grateful I got to know how they will force you to share more about your emotions than you are comfortable with and then use it against you. I would really advise Avaaz to stop playing tricks in interviews and stop giving sweeping unsolicited feedback. It doesn't actually get you better applicants, but Avaaz isn't actually interested in getting the most qualified applicants, they want to make sure they don't hire anyone who will question authority and shake things up. I'm all for hierarchy when it's used well, but their questions are more about sussing out your loyalty to them rather than your qualifications.

Interview Questions

• How do you like to be managed? What's your best experience with a manager and your worst?   Answer Question
    • We tell personal stories sometimes at staff retreats. If another staff member were to cry during this, what would you do?   Answer Question

Avaaz Foundation Response

Apr 16, 2018 – Chief Operating Officer

First, I want to thank you for your feedback for our team. It's a really valuable reminder of how folks can feel on the other side of an interview. I'm sorry it felt manipulative to you, that's... More

Junior Campaigner Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Avaaz Foundation (New York, NY) in January 2018.

Interview

I sent an application via the Avaaz website.
    A couple of weeks later, I received an email indicating I will have a first conversation with one of Avaaz campaigner. We scheduled an appointment on Skype.
    The interview lasted 1 hour and was divided in 3 parts:
    1/ A lots of questions about management, the way you like to work, collaborate (etc)
    2/ Practical exercises corresponding to the job
    3/ Questions we are free to ask

Interview Questions

• 1/ Do you prefer hierarchical management or horizontal management ?   Answer Question

Campaign Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in São Paulo, São Paulo (Brazil)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Avaaz Foundation (São Paulo, São Paulo (Brazil)) in September 2017.

Interview

There was first a screening interview with indepth strategy questions with another campaign manager, then it progressed to an exercise. A further interview would have been scheduled if I progressed further.

Interview Questions

• How do you like to work? What type of campaign would you do for "x" situation?   Answer Question

Developer Interview

Interview

Filled out a very lengthy personalized questionnaire about why I thought I would be a good fit at Avaaz, my work experience, etc. This process took quite some time. Then received an additional email some time later asking me to give a detailed response about architecting their system, which they expected would take up to an hour. At this point, I had some additional questions about the nature of the role, the team's size, etc. as the job posting had been rather vague, and it's unreasonable to expect someone to spend multiple hours on an interview before even figuring out whether or not the job is a good fit. I received a form response about how they'd be able to give me more information about the job once I'd answered their technical question. I passed -- there are plenty of other companies that are willing to at least chat with me and get some additional detail about the job given my credentials (degree from a top 5 engineering university, have worked for one of the tech giants). I recommend that they streamline their process and get some better HR folks in place who have more of an interest in ensuring that a job is a mutual fit, and not just having people jump through hoops for the sake of it.

Interview Questions

• Avaaz has asked you to propose a high-level design for our code The system has several requirements: We need members to be able to sign petitions. We need members to be able to communicate in message boards, where the topic of each message board is one particular petition. Finally, we need to be easily able to find our most active members, our most signed petitions, and the total number of signatures across all petitions --- Explain without writing code, how you would design this system using an object oriented language. What classes would you create? What methods and properties would they need? How would they interact with each other? Make a note of any design principals or difficult decisions you encounter while answering this problem. *   Answer Question

Operations Officer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Avaaz Foundation (New York, NY) in January 2017.

Interview

Non traditional interview process combines Skype initial interview. Then if chosen to proceed applicants are asked to do a mock work session. Then additional Skype interviews with various Executives. This process seems to work for them but it is cumbersome for most applicants. The interview felt forced in that they expect you to give the perfect, exact answers they are looking for by pushing you through- but then those answers are used against you during the feedback portion. I knew within 15 mins of the start of the interview that I did not want to work for the organization and would not have accepted the next step of the process had it been offered.

Interview Questions

• Sometimes at company retreats we ask employees to tell personal stories and these stories can sometimes be emotional. How would you feel if one of your coworkers began to cry during the retreat session?   1 Answer
    • You planned the company retreat in Greece and filed for all appropriate visas, but a team member has been delayed at the airport- what do you do?   1 Answer

Global Campaigner Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Avaaz Foundation (New York, NY) in October 2016.

Interview

Applied Online
    Contacted within a week
    First Interview with Senior Campaigner
    Was to the point and not very formal. Relaxed via Skype
    Given a written assignment to create an email campaign. Given 24 hours time to complete
    Review of the assignment was insightful and helpful.
    Asked if interested to revise the assignment after the feedback and given 24 hours.
    Re-submitted and Followed up
    Contacted and informed about moving to the next round.
    The process took 3 months

Interview Questions

• How do you like to be managed? A lot of instructions or you like to have a lot of freedom   1 Answer

Operations Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Avaaz Foundation (Boston, MA) in September 2015.

Interview

So destructive that it has taken me over a year to write about it, not just because of the emotional impact, but also the practical effects on my life. In summary: I applied for 2 positions. The first, I was told would have been mine had they decided to actually hire for it (they called after 2 or 3 interviews to tell me the role had been "de-prioritized", but that I was their #1 choice). For the second role, I had several more interviews. During the final interview, the interviewer (the ED), told me that she didn't see how I was qualified for the role. I attempted to counter that by explaining why I thought I was (really I was just bewildered by the statement seeing as I had just undergone several interviews and exercises, and didn't understand why I would have reached this point if I wasn't qualified). They ended up making an offer anyway quite quickly as I had very recently accepted a different offer and explained to them that since I was going to have to rescind my acceptance of offer A, I needed to do it ASAP. I am also a part-time student, which is listed at the top of my resume. I worked for them for 5 days during which time my school schedule became an issue (A total of 5 hours of class time per week. Bear in mind that Avaaz is a virtual organization. I was working remotely. It was very clear that many Avaaz employees did not keep traditional hours. It also says in their handbook that alternative schedules are approved by line managers. My line manager knew about my classes and said it was ok.). They asked that I drop a class in order to make my schedule more amenable to their needs which I succeeded in doing regardless of the add/drop deadline already having passed. Then, they fired me, claiming that I had failed to practice what they call "radical honesty". Needless to say, I was unable to get the first offer back and was thrown into a high pressure job search. This is the most egregious part of the experience. It was also just generally fraught with inadequate internal communication. I should have heeded that as a warning sign during the first round and stayed away, but the prospect of what I thought would be fulfilling work drew me in.

Member Engagement Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Avaaz Foundation (London, England (UK)) in October 2016.

Interview

I was interviewed by a campaigner in a time zone near the one I am based in. She was incredibly friendly and talkative. We talked about my résumé and my experiences, and ultimately how I liked to be managed. If you say you like to work independently, it is unlikely you will proceed in the interview process.

Interview Questions

• How do you like to be managed?   1 Answer