Avalara Senior Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Avalara Senior Software Engineer Interview Questions

Interviews at Avalara

2.0

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Avalara (Seattle, WA).

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter, who seemed nice, but really had no detail about the position. Next, there was a phone interview with the hiring manager. I thought it was odd that the manager seemed interested in bringing me in when the position clearly wasn't what I was looking for. But, it seemed like a good practice opportunity, so next was a three hour on-site interview. I was kind of shocked in my first round when a senior engineer argued that I couldn't use the += operater with a string variable. In my second round, I had someone who apparently didn't understand callbacks. He wanted to execute a list of functions, and always have 3 executing. My idea was to have a queue of functions, and a common callback for all the functions so that when one finished, it popped the next one off the queue and executed it. I couldn't get this idea across to my interviewer. At the end, asked him what his solution would have been, to which he replied he would use a while loop which would continually check a counter. I tried to explain why that was a bad idea, but he didn't understand. At that point, I just wanted to leave, but lunch was next, and why turn down a free lunch? The answer is because the whole team was at lunch, asking questions the entire time, and not allowing you to eat. Most companies have lunch interviews as a time for you to relax and ask any questions you have, but in this case, I just felt ganged up on. I left my interview thinking how I had just met the nicest team I would never want to work with.

Interview Questions

• Write a function that given a list of functions, will execute them concurrently, but only allow 3 to be running at any given time.   Answer Question
  • Given a string of characters such as "AABBBCDD", write functions to compress and decompress the string.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Avalara

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Interview

A better answer puts the company’s goals at the forefront. “People aren’t just hired to do a job; they are hired to be part of the company as a whole, a company that has very specific objectives and goals to achieve,” she says.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Interview

There are number of ways they do the hiring and interview process. Either through Telephonic round followed by face to face round. After that there will be Lab round where people have to sit infront of Laptop and solve one of the task assigned to him. After that there will be HR round and later discussion with Director (optional).