Avanade Interview Questions in Chicago, IL | Glassdoor

Avanade Interview Questions in Chicago, IL

Updated Apr 6, 2017

.NET Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Avanade (Chicago, IL).

Interview

I was contacted for a phone interview with HR, a second phone interview with a technical employee for any questions I had, and an on-site interview. The on-site interview consisted of two one-on-one interviews and group presentation, roleplaying as consultants.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Avanade (Chicago, IL) in February 2017.

Interview

I had a couple of basic interviews with the HR lady who was very nice and explained everything in detail.
    Then first interview went great, we talk about technologies , projects that i worked on.
    Second one the guy asked me similar questions about projects i worked on and gave me a coding challenge to create a method to check for valid email address. He didn't tell me i could use .net string built in functions.
    Later on I got a call from the HR lady telling me that the second interviewer said i was not interested. What?? where did he get that?
    Completely opposite of the first one. My advice is , get the guy to like you ( not sure how to do that)
    I really appreciated how HR lady gave me a feedback

Interview Questions

• String manipulation, use .Net string built methods or ask if u can, it will make ur life easier.   Answer Question

.NET Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Avanade (Chicago, IL) in November 2016.

Interview

Very comfortable and lightning fast process
    One HR One technical screen and two in person with senior executives
    The recruiter prepped me a lot in advance
    Interviews were conducted in very professional and timely manner.
    Looking for well rounded engineers to work as consultants.

Interview Questions

• Several questions:
      Round 1: Basic HR
      Round 2: Techical questions on .net, c#, sql
      Round 3: Deep dive on projects you have worked on and patterns used
      Round 4: whiteboarding exercise - string manipulation and recursive methods
      Answer Question

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Avanade (Chicago, IL) in August 2015.

Interview

I had my First HR interview, and within a week had an interview on a Saturday over the phone with my manager, I had the following after a week, and a video interview with a VP within a week after that, so it took me about 3 weeks total.

Interview Questions

• Because I was interviewing for a role that I didn't much experience, I was asked a lot of questions about windows and active directory.   Answer Question

Systems Engineer Interview

Application

Interview

I had three interviews. One was on the weekend, they knew I wasn't a super engineer, but I was able to illustrate more importantly how I find solutions.

The second was with another SE, the third I had to go to an accenture office to do a telepresence with one of the execs.

Entry-Level Solution Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Avanade (Chicago, IL) in December 2013.

Interview

I contacted them through a friend who worked there. A lot of questions about my programming experience and projects, even though I did not have any projects.

Interview Questions

• Name a time where you had to convince somebody to change their viewpoint on something.   Answer Question

Solutions Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Avanade (Chicago, IL) in September 2013.

Interview

Part 1: Phone interview with Avanade recruiter. They will ask some typical STAR questions as well as asking how your technical background is.
    Part 2: Phone interview with someone in Avanade with the same position you are applying for. Make sure you have a lot of questions since you are conducting the interview, not them.
    Part 3: Final interview at the Avanade office. You will be with a handful of other potential candidates as Avanade will be critiquing how well you do in groups. Activities will include talking to Avanade employees in the room (judging how you interact with clients) and a group presentation.

Interview Questions

• What piece of technology do you find the most innovative in the past decade?   1 Answer

Negotiation

There is no travel expense for moving.

Senior Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Avanade (Chicago, IL) in May 2013.

Interview

Mostly remote online meetings with members of the team I would be joining. Very technically challenging to determine what I knew. Lots of good information about them and how they work. One on-site interview in Chicago (closest office) to make sure I am a real person I guess. The remote meetings were well scheduled and included video. I was able to gain a lot of insight into the company from the interviews.

Interview Questions

• What is your availability to travel?   1 Answer

Business Analyst - Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Avanade (Chicago, IL).

Interview

I had three phone interviews the last being a skills assessment followed by a face to face with a Sr Director. The first two interviews were more behavioral and informative. The face to face was more about you would solve a problem. The Sr Director want to see how I problem solved

Interview Questions

• In the face to face the interviewee proposed a problem by drawing a diagram on the board and asked me to ask them about the product.   Answer Question

Group Manager/Solutions Architect Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Avanade (Chicago, IL) in February 2013.

Interview

I first received a call from what was obviously a call center. The caller talked up the opportunity, took my salary requirements (this is important). And then assured me I'd be interviewing for a position within the tolerances of my requirements.

What followed were three phone screens and an in person spread out over the following four weeks.

The first "Skills Level 1" was a technical interview, though not a terribly in-depth one. I assumed this was the smoke test. The usual fluff questions you expect for the most junior of assessments. "Whats the difference between a stringbuilder and a string?", "What are the four principles of Object Oriented Programming?". These questions should tell the observer more about the interviewer than the interviewee. But that's all I'll say about that.

"Skills Level 2" was a little about development methodology. We talked about Scrum and managing people and how I'd run projects in the past. Actually this interview was pretty decent. It reminded me of how I interview candidates so maybe I'm biased. But it wasn't a vocabulary test it was an actual assessment of applied knowledge. Kudos to this interviewer.

At this point I get a call from a woman in HR. She's clearly a cheerleader for Avanade. She dropped what were clearly corporate buzzwords as much as possible. She asked weird questions like "Have you found the people you've spoken with to be 'passionate' developers?"

She droned on about herself mostly. About how much she'd brought to Avanade and how great her performance as a recruiter had been and how much money she was making for Avanade etc. This is really where I started to get a metallic taste in my mouth about the whole experience.

"Skills Level 3" was a little more of the same. These were cultural fit questions. As with level 1 and level 2 the travel requirement was stressed. No new ground was really covered here.

Before the next interview I get a call from the cheerleader again. This time she's talking with almost cultish admiration about my next interviewer. She insists that I study his linked in profile, that I'll be blown away by the guy's amazing credentials etc. It was pretty creepy.

And finally the "in person" (Which was done via teleconference). This was more of the cultural fit. Basically it was designed to see how I handled conversational interaction. I talked with the VP of a division. Nice guy. Really. Easy to talk to no problems there.

Here's where the nonsense started.

I get a call from cheerleader. Only this time she's not chipper. She's affected a concerned voice. You see after this most recent interview they were planning the conference call where all my previous interviewers would discuss my leveling at Avanade and they were concerned that I'd level at a rank lower than the range I'd given four weeks ago. I'd played this game before. I told her I was firm. She didn't like it and implied that I probably wouldn't get an offer. I let her go.

A few hours later I got another call from cheerleader. Wouldn't you know it, they hadn't made a decision yet. But if I could just come a little lower on my range I'd probably get an offer. I indicated again that I was firm. That my salary expectations shouldn't have been a surprise to her, they've been the same for four weeks.

She then tried to play head games. Implying that I just wasn't ready to work for a company like Avanade. That I should be honored to take such a significant paycut to work there. That if I was serious about my career I'd see it was a great offer etc.

The offer finally came the next morning. And it was considerably lower than my lowest estimate. When I turned the offer down I was given a rather pithy and condescending reply once more suggesting that I just wasn't ready to play with the big boys.

Interview Questions

• What do you want to be doing in five years?   1 Answer

The offer was too low. But moreover there was a culture of hubris being communicated by the company. An attitude of "we're doing you all the favors."