Avanade Interview Questions in New York City, NY | Glassdoor

Avanade Interview Questions in New York City, NY

3.1

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Avanade (New York, NY).

Interview

First, you go through phone screen and then 2-3 face to face interview. Phone interview usually runs for 30 min or so and done by HR person. You go through technical interview with their Sr. Managers who is available for the interview at the time.

Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Avanade (New York, NY) in February 2015.

Interview

RADIO SILIENCE after in initial interview - even after follow-up with recruiter and hiring manager -very poor form. POOR EXPERIENCE

I as head hunted by internal recruiter, phone screened and then schedued with the hiring manager.

Interview was informal, interviewer was pleasant and professional but late and interview was interrupted a couple times.

Interview Questions

• How would you handle a situation where we turn down a client engagement because of deal profiability concerns   1 Answer

Solutions Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Avanade (New York, NY) in March 2014.

Interview

They hired me and redacted their offer in the end due to financial reasons. Overall, the interviewing process was very pleasant. I had a personal recruiter who was very attentive throughout the entire process. I had a phone interview with her, followed by a phone interview with a senior manager, and then was invited to an interview day with about 15 other college-aged students. There, we had 1:1 interviews with various staff members, supervised team building activities, and we had to write an essay.

Interview Questions

• How much experience do you have with programming languages, such as HTML?   Answer Question

Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Avanade (New York, NY) in February 2014.

Interview

Received an email about setting up a phone interview about 1-2 weeks after applying online. The phone interview was just a chance for them to know you so it was the basic interview questions like tell us about yourself. She asked about what you know about Avanade. She also gave you information about the position that you applied for.

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Avanade (New York, NY) in March 2013.

Interview

I had an employee referral, just for full-disclosure. After approving my resume I had one phone interview with a HR employee. It was not very technical and just ask general critical thinking questions and explaining technology questions. Then they contacted me about meeting at my schools career fair which happen to be in the coming week so we could just meet face to face and chat before the interview in the coming weeks. The interview day was at their office and consisted of a nice overall experience they had us in a room with other interviewees and recent new hires to talk to while we waited. There was a written interview questions and short essay part. The actual interview was with some upper management and asked some technical questions but also was interested in how you could handle learning new things. I had no experience with any of the microsoft technology they used but had a broad knowledge of other technologies.

Interview Questions

• Although I don't know if it counted but i guess everything does. They gave a list of 15 items and if you got stranded on a boat in the middle of the ocean rank them by importance. It is a coast guard test.   Answer Question

Negotiation

They made it seem non-negotiable but i regret not trying harder.

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Avanade (New York, NY) in December 2012.

Interview

Generally pleasant experience with the first interview consisting primarily of general background and experience information. General questions pertaining to scheduling, leveling resources and the ability to travel up to 80% were covered with excellent feedback in the end.

The second interview similarly en-capsuled the first's general path; with more in-depth discussions about project philosophy and examples of how risk was managed and mitigated in a particular instance. Earned value management expertise was covered and intimated that it was required. The recruiter came back letting me know that she received EXCELLENT feedback from the second director level interviewer.

The third interview was in person (just before the holiday) where I spoke with another director about the delivery practice. Questions about technology in general along with project and concepts of earned value were covered. Also asked about ITIL and what it means. Having a technical engineering background was seen as a positive. It was intimated that there would be a recommend to hire.

After the holidays I was informed that I would have to have a fourth discussion with the overall director. My initial thoughts were that it was a conversation to discuss an offer but instead turned into questions regarding by background and concerns about my "hybrid" classification being a potential concern. There was even a question of whether I would be "comfortable" in the environment which left me a bit puzzled but was taken in stride.

Interview Questions

• Do you feel that you would be "comfortable" here?   1 Answer
    • Tell me what you think ITIL is?   1 Answer
    • Tell me about your experience with Earned Value   1 Answer

Senior Systems Analyst/Solution Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Avanade (New York, NY) in October 2012.

Interview

There are many Sr. System Analyst utilizing various technologies, the one I went for is a Microsft.NET role

***Make sure what you have on your resume is TRUE and Correct, they use a background check service that really CHECKS! Your degrees, the length of each employment, where you've worked, etc. Make sure your resume is telling the truth***

Four stage interview process
    (1 HR, 1 Technical Phone, 1 Technical Phone w. Coding on the spot, 1 In-Person)
    =================================================
    1 - HR called and asked basic question such as "What is CLR?"

2 - Intense technical interview, some of the questions are really in-depth question that really tested on the understanding from basic to advanced C#, Asp.net, JavaScript, to SQL, to Protocols, to Design Pattern, to IIS, to Load Balancer, to Inner Working mechanisms of CLR.

They are not "What is this? What is that?" type of question that ask you the definition of each, the interviewer gave many scenarios.
    "If this happens, what would you do?",
    "Why use this method (or design pattern) in opposed to others?";
    "If Blah-Blah-Blah breaks, how you go by pinpointing the problem and fixing it?";
    "If this (whatever it was I forgot) is not available, what alternative tech/method you choose to use to do what you need and why"

TOTAL TIME: This interview lasted 45-60 minutes
    ------------------------------------------------------------------
    3 - Technical Review that used Microsft Lync (latest live meeting type of software)
    This inteview has further in-depth tech question that really tested on some design pattern knowledge and understandings of software development methodalogies.

Some computer science, Big-O, Big-Theta, Big-Omega questions, search, sort algorithm questions, etc.
    (Lucky that my college research was focused in Algorithms and in solving non-polynomial problems that I needed to determine these all the time, if I get tested on some you-will-never-use CS stuff, I sure would flung it)

After the technicals, they tested my People (Soft) Skills, team management, people management skills, for example.
    "If your team member has disagreements, or fights, what would you do?"
    "If your team member does not follow your instructions, what would you do?"

Total time so far: 25 minutes into interview.

Finally, coding on the spot using the "Whiteboard" feature of Microsoft Lync; the interviewer has many coding questions to select from, the ones I got are:

Q1 - Write a method that takes 2 parameters (lower, upper bound) that returns all Primes between these 2 ranges.

Q2 - Write a method that takes an unsorted list of integers, return the integer that has the highest number of occurences.

As you type in the whiteboard (live meeting) window, The interview can see every key stroke you type, but you are allowed to ask the interview nicely that you need a couple of mins to sketch something on paper before typing (which I did).

The interviewer said that usually they give 3 coding questions, but he's good with 2.
    Time spent on coding: 10 minutes.

TOTAL TIME: This interview lasted 35 minutes.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------
    4 - In Person with the hiring manager.
    Only 1 tech question. "In what scenario that using using LINQ is not a good idea?"

My response was LINQ is great, quick and easy to access, query, retrieve data, however, the weakness comes in when you need to insert or save something into database.

Via LINQ, first there are more lines of coding, then writing a stored proc that does Insert/Update, second, in a multi-thread environment like the web server, like multi-thread application. Commands are not passed over to the database until you call Submit in C#/VB code, concurrency issues, etc. etc.

And eventually the insert/update responsbilities are on SQL server anyway, why not directly write a stored proc for insert/update and call it as a method in C#/VB.

He nodded his head with a smile, but I dont know if my opinion is what hes looking for =D

After that, no more tech questions, he asked me questions on design pattern, pros and cons on a couple of methodologies and more People skill questions.
    EX: "if a customer got angry and started screaming/firing at you, how would you handle that?"

Then the remainder of the interview is him explaining ATS (Avanade Technology Solutions), job duties, etc.

TOTAL TIME: 1 Hour

Interview Questions

• Database Partitioning, Splitting. My SQL is my weakest, so I just be honest that "I don't know the answer and I do not want to guess"   Answer Question

Offer was exceptional, base pay + bonuses and vacation package (that I negotiated) were great and very attractive.

However, I was told that the NY based ATS (Avanade Technology Solutions) is a non-traveling sector of Avanade, which is famous for traveling 70%+ of the time for many consultants, I was like "great, no travel" because of family reason.

But then I found out (after all the rigurious background checks and references) that Avanade's definition of "traveling" is traveling out-of-state, my role will be working off a client-site. Although it is local travel within Manhattan (because they have so many projects in NY that they dont need to send ATS people out) but I dont like the idea of working off the client site and I dont have a location that I go to everyday and call it the "office".

This is the reason I turned down the offer.

IT Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Avanade (New York, NY) in October 2012.

Interview

Phone interview, in-person interview, team-based interview. Phone is easy... In-person is easy... Group is just to see how you do in a team/cooperative environment. They called back and said they were impressed. I got the job and started about three months later. It's pretty easy, assuming you understand the basics of programming and operation systems.

Interview Questions

• What is a method.   1 Answer
    • Describe cloud dtorage as if you were talking to your grandmother.   1 Answer

Applications Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Avanade (New York, NY) in September 2012.

Interview

Recruiter sets up Tech I. Basic stuff about .Net SQL Server, C#, ASP.NET, JavaScript. etc. If that goes well, Tech II is set with Deeper dive into .Net SQL Server, C#, ASP.NET, JavaScript. etc. Third interview with App Dev Lead for North America. Personality and communication interview mostly.

Interview Questions

• If given $1000 and sent into best buy, what would you walk out with?   1 Answer

Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Avanade (New York, NY) in June 2012.

Interview

I applied to the Job online and was contacted for a phone interview within a few days. After going over my background and interests, I had a technical interview the following week. The interview consisted of Hardware, Network concepts Active Directory and IT situation problems. Not to challenging. After a month or so I got a call back that I passed my tech interview, then a few weeks later I was finally given a 1:1 interview with the Director at the local office. Most of the questions were about my background and what I had expertise in. Also he asked a lot about current MS technologies and news.