Avis Budget Group Operations Manager Trainee Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Avis Budget Group Operations Manager Trainee Interview Questions

Updated Apr 4, 2017

2.7

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Detroit, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Avis Budget Group (Detroit, MI) in March 2017.

Interview

I applied for the Ops Mgr Trainee position, and got an email the next week requesting a face to face interview. The email contained a generic 'we're hiring' job fair email, and that right there raised a red flag. The interview location was at their rundown Detroit office (dirty, dingy and smelly), and you will have to sign in and wait. You'll get a completely random person who doesn't know the first thing about you, or the position you applied for. It is by far the worst recruiting process I have ever gone through. This time last year, the recruitment process was actually somewhat decent, and you'd start with a 1-on-1 phone interview with someone who actually knew the position you applied for. I guess they lost common sense and decency at some point within the last year. I was glad (albeit, not surprised) that I was not moved forward, as the interviewer I got was very blunt. They hire in bulk, so be warned when you work for this company. With weekly hiring fairs, I'm doubtful you'll be there long.

Interview Questions

• Do you have management experience?   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Avis Budget Group

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ontario, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Avis Budget Group (Ontario, CA) in September 2016.

Interview

Email from the company/corporate recruiting sent me to the wrong address so drove to the main rental building then told I needed to go to a 3rd location. Get to actual building and there was no one to talk to except for avery young employee who seemed to be doing new hire on-line training. The young male said both of the managers were out of the office and they shoud be back soon. Finally left after close to 30 minutes of people walking in and out of the office and no one even saying hello or asking what this stranger was doing in the office.

The only contact I had with anyone beyond the kid who said to wait was when I tried to leave and realized the exit was access controlled. At this point I parked and started to walk back to the building when a lady came out asking if I needed help. Told her I didn't know if I needed a code or anything to exit the parking lot and then she stated yes, and moved to let me out of the parking lot. I think I mentioned that I was there for an interview but she didn't seem to care one way or another so not even sure of who she was/what position she was in or if they even knew that someone was there to interview at all

Bad first impression from the Avis/Budget office at the Ontario, CA office. Based on this experience, I would be afraid to see how they treat the paying customer at the airport counter.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Avis Budget Group (Atlanta, GA) in March 2016.

Interview

I filled out an application on the company website. I was contacted by a recruiter and given a brief phone interview. She went over my past experience, resume, etc. I was then scheduled an interview at the Atlanta Airport location.

They were extremely disorganized and unprofessional. HR discussing potential employees loudly in the hallway. My interviewer was late. I was given the once over by several male employees who entered and exited the office while I waited.

The interviewer was dry and lacked energy. He appeared to be bored from the start and just going through the motions. He asked me a specific set of questions and wrote down each of my answers.

Towards the middle of the interview I was able to connect and get him to smile. I think the interview went well on my behalf. I believe my asking salary was too high when in reality I still felt it was low considering the amount of responsibilities. He did emphasize the company car, gas and insurance.

Interview Questions

• What's your management style?   Answer Question
    • Describe a situation when you had to motivate an employee to do their job?   Answer Question
    • What's something a supervisor has criticized you about in the past and how did you take the criticism?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Avis Budget Group (Atlanta, GA) in February 2016.

Interview

First there is a phone interview with a recruiter from the home office. You briefly go over your application and the position in general. After you set up a face to face interview with the manager at the branch you would be working at. I applied for a position at the Atlanta airport, which is open 24 hours a day. This requires them to have someone on staff to at all times. The actual interview was a little different since I previously worked in the industry before and knew the business. All I was asked was can I lead by example and make hard decisions. Overall I was optimistic but was getting a weird vibe when I left.

Interview Questions

• Where do you see your self in 5 years?   Answer Question
    • Are you open to relocation?   1 Answer
    • Have you ever put a team together? Have you ever had to deliver bad news to a team member?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, ME

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Avis Budget Group (Portland, ME) in February 2016.

Interview

Very easy interview. It was a lot of conversation rather than them just drilling me with questions. They only had 5 questions written out to ask, the rest of them came from what we were talking about. I was there for 2.5 hours.

Interview Questions

• What do you think the operations manager position entails?   Answer Question

Other opportunities

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Avis Budget Group (Denver, CO) in October 2015.

Interview

Submitted an application. Was contacted approximately a week later to set up a phone interview. Then was set up for a face to face interview but I was unable to attend due to a last minute medical procedure. After reviewing information from the phone interview, I decided the job did not meet my needs.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Lauderdale, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Avis Budget Group (Fort Lauderdale, FL) in July 2015.

Interview

Applied the first day the position was posted. Received an e-mail a week or two later to call a recruiter. The recruiter was friendly. This person went over the position, what it paid, benefits, hours, etc. We also went through a few questions about what I would do/have done in certain situations. After that, the recruiter set up an in-person interview at the location itself a few days later. This lasted around a half hour and was with two managers. I thought it went well, but two days later, I received the "thanks, but no thanks" email.

Interview Questions

• Why Avis?
      What happened with a difficult customer you encountered in the past?
      What is your managing style?
      How have you coached someone that wasn't meeting company standards?
      Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Reno, NV

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Avis Budget Group (Reno, NV) in June 2015.

Interview

You must apply online for the position. There is a test they will send you online if you are accepted. If you pass this online test/survey, you will be called in for an interview with the airport manager. Then if that goes well you will be passed on to the District Manager where you will have a more comprehensive interview. The District Manager will then make their recommendation to the area Director. If the recommendation is positive you will be asked to interview over the phone or in person with the area director.

Interview Questions

• They want to hear about your sales experience which is required in this field.   1 Answer
    • They will ask for specific examples and ask for experience based answers. such as," Give an example of how you dealt with a situation where an employee you worked with was insubordinate."   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Leandro, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Avis Budget Group (San Leandro, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

First applied for job online and did online assessment. Was contacted by recruiter who set me up with two interviews; one in San Leandro and one in San Francisco. Was told be recruiter job paid between $45,000-$55,000 and can be salary re-negotiated after 18-week training. In interview it was revealed beginning salary would likely be between $35,000-$40,000.

The whole process was unorganized. I was stood up at my first interview and both interviewers were between 15-45 minutes late for my next two interviews. After the interviews, a new Avis recruiter contacted me asking for an interview. I asked him if Avis was interested in offering me a second round interview. He replied a full day later that they decided to go in a different path, but wanted to know if I was interested in interviewing for a Rental Sales Associate position and I declined.

The interviewers were nice and asked basic questions. However, I ended up interviewing with the same regional staff and they asked many of the same questions and my questions for them were already answered in the first interview, so I felt the second interview was very short ad hurt me.

All in all, a disorganized interview process with too much misinformation that lead to late/missed interviews by them.

Interview Questions

• What is the most creative thing you have ever done in your life?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dayton, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Avis Budget Group (Dayton, OH) in April 2015.

Interview

The process moved rather quickly at first. The initial screen is done after you take an online personality survey. My phone interview with seemed to go very well. I was able to tie some of my military experience into many of the questions and they seemed very engaged and helpful. A lot of behavioral interview questions.
    Within a week after the phone interview, I had a face to face with the at the airport of the position. Interviewer was professional, but seemed too busy and/or distracted by having to interview me. I got a nice tour and the interviewer fully explained the position and gave decent insight. I got the obligatory good job for you military service pat on the back. Again, I had many of same behavioral interview questions I answered during the phone interview. Interviewer did give me plenty of time for questions and I used it well. The face to face ended on a high note, or so I thought. He then quickly gave me the " well we have a lot of people to look at but we'll let you know in a couple of days". He didn't give me any feedback after we were finished which was a tell tale sign I probably wasn't a fit.
    4 weeks later, got the form letter-email of "thanks but no thanks". No one returned my inquiry during those 4 weeks either, but that is pretty common these days. Position is still appears to be open after 7 months so I wonder if it really is a viable vacancy. l would be much more inquisitive about what they really want in a candidate and their actual hiring intentions if I had to do it again.