Avista Utilities Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Avista Utilities Interview Questions

Updated May 24, 2017

Support Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Spokane, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Avista Utilities (Spokane, WA) in May 2017.

Interview

The interview process was unique/unusual. So much so that I've debated how to describe it here for others in a concise way. This was weeks ago so the memory is fading, but I'll try as best as I can to describe things accurately:

I was called in to have a screening interview (typically these are done over the phone) which lasted about 25 minutes and was conducted by four people (also unusual, as these are usually handled by one, max two people.) Each one had time to ask me one question. I had time for only one. Oddly, all but one of the people interviewing were NOT members of the team to which I'd applied. Also odd, they knew I was driving in from a reasonable distance, and I had been assured that this would be a longer interview in light of that. But it was very short, as it started late and ended early. That seemed a bit hinky, but I was pleased to be selected for round two.

My second interview was via a voice-chat only application, and I was interviewed by seven people for about 20 minutes. This was when I noticed some serious red-flags. Efforts to keep the conversation about what my role, responsibilities and day-to-day work would be were ignored in favor of gushing about their new system. They used so many internal nicknames for software and processes that it was impossible to gauge whether or not I had the skills need to excel at the job (a problem compounded by the fact they didn't seem to want to tell me what the job was.) I tried to rephrase details as generic things (instead of whatever nickname they'd given their supply-chain application, I referred to it as Supply Chain Management, that sort of thing.) They continued to use the random and frankly cutesy nickname they'd given it. I felt that they believed my job during this interview was to flatter them for being so clever for giving their internal applications fun nicknames.

I was given very few opportunities to speak or ask questions, but when I did, I was told that my answer was 'great' or 'awesome' or "wow." It was too much to be believable. If everything I said was the most amazing thing they'd heard from a candidate, something is very off about their recruiting or hiring practices. It left me wondering what kind of people I'd be working with.

Interview Questions

• Did I prefer to drink my stresses away, or engage in calming activity?   1 Answer
    • How familiar was I with Supply Chain Management Software?   1 Answer
    • Did I prefer teams or heads-down time?   1 Answer
    • What did I know about relational databases?   1 Answer
    • What did I know about Avista?   1 Answer

Meter Reader Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Avista Utilities.

Interview

You'll talk to the security guard (not the receptionist) at the front desk and they'll give you a badge. Quick interview, they'll ask common questions as well as situational questions. It was pretty informal. I sat in a conference room in the Meter Reader department with two people conducting the interview.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself?   Answer Question
    • What are your strengths? Weaknesses?   Answer Question
    • Why would we want to hire you?   Answer Question
    • What would you do if you had to give an estimate from reading a meter to meet a deadline?   Answer Question
    • What would you do if you had to enter a man's backyard to read a meter, but he is aggravated because last time, you left the fence open and his dogs ran off?   Answer Question
    • You're driving on the job and an animal ran out in front of you and you weren't able to stop in time. The animal has been hit. What do you do?   Answer Question
    • This job requires to be outdoors and often in bad weather. What experience do you have in working in harsh weather conditions?   Answer Question

Software Engineering Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Avista Utilities.

Interview

Consisted of technical questions and standard interview questions. Took roughly an hour. Was interviewed by 2 members of their software engineering team. Wasn't too bad. Tech-wise mostly focused on C and lower level computing / software testing.

Student Engineering Interview

Anonymous Employee in Spokane, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Avista Utilities (Spokane, WA) in February 2015.

Interview

A few days after the job posting for engineering interns closed I was contacted via E-mail saying I had been selected for an interview. The interview took about 45 minutes and I was rotated between who I believe was the hiring official for interns, a senior engineer, and then an entry-level engineer placed with the human resources manager at Avista. The entry level engineer asked the technical questions, while the senior engineers asked the typical interview questions.

Interview Questions

• 1.) Describe what you believe to be innovation in a young engineer.   Answer Question

Accountant In the Plant Department Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Spokane, WA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Avista Utilities (Spokane, WA) in March 2014.

Interview

1 hour interview with 3 employees

Interview Questions

• The number of questions was a bit draining and they were the typical interview questions. Of course they asked what are my weaknesses.   1 Answer

Oracle Applications Support Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Spokane, WA

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Avista Utilities (Spokane, WA) in March 2014.

Interview

Phone interview with the contract company, phone interview with Avista, and then in person interview with Avista.
    I was impressed with Avista personnel. They were friendly and knowledgeable. They put me at my ease and, therefore, received a true picture of me as an employee and my technical skill set. I felt like my skill set was respected and I was respected as a professional.

Interview Questions

• The most difficult questions were technical about the subject matter of the position. The interviewers knew a lot about the position they were filling and the questions were technical and targeted to receive examples of work I have done in the past.   Answer Question

They needed me to relocate immediately and I needed about a week more time. It felt like a communication issue with the contract company. I wish I had accepted the job.

Customer Service Interview

Anonymous Employee in Lewiston, ID

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Avista Utilities (Lewiston, ID) in November 2013.

Interview

Interview questions were normal. I had prepared before the interview of potential questions & thought to myself how I would answer. This helped me prepare. The mock phone call took me off guard, but I calmed the (fake) customer down to resolve the situation. I was comfortable talking to the manager of the office though it is always intimidating having interviews. *Remember - shake hands*

Interview Questions

• How to calm down an Angry customer   1 Answer

Negotiation

n/a

Customer Service Interview

Anonymous Employee in Spokane, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Avista Utilities (Spokane, WA).

Interview

If you have a relative or friend who already works at Avista, you will have a leg up over anyone else who is also applying.

Interview Questions

• Questions about privacy because information is protected.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I was told the dollar amount. The nice thing about starting in Customer Service is that there are quick ladder increases available.

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Spokane, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Avista Utilities (Spokane, WA) in January 2013.

Interview

Recruiter contacted me and wanted to setup an interview

2 days later I arrived at the corporate Avista offices dressed appropriately
    Met by HR recruiter and had a pleasant conversation about how the day will go
    Ended up being 4 interviews with different lead developers
    2 of the interviews being technical code based questions and 2 being more past experience and cultural fit

Interview Questions

• Nothing unexpected it was a breeze. All nice folks during interview process   Answer Question

Negotiation

there was somewhat of a hrad deck on salary. I took a paycut to take the job but with limited options in the Spokane area it was either take a pay cut or work remote in Seattle.

Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Avista Utilities in March 2008.

Interview

The interview consisted of a group of six people talking about the various tasks the position was required to do and then asking how it was that my previous experience fit with the job requirements. The interview also consisted of asking what I would do given certain situations. The overall atmosphere in the interview was business casual.