B&G Marketing Concepts Interview Questions | Glassdoor

B&G Marketing Concepts Interview Questions

Interviews at B&G Marketing Concepts

1.6

Marketing Executive Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at B&G Marketing Concepts in July 2014.

Interview

I applied for a marketing position with this company. Their secretary/admin assistant contacted me pretty quickly that same day for a small phone interview. She was nice, and offered for me to come in for a formal interview the next Monday. I showed up rather early, and sat in the 7-8 seats they had in their waiting room. To my dismay, more than 20-25 people started showing up right after me. No one had anywhere to sit. One by one, certain managers would walk by and call out the names of us waiting. They were paired up with people who work there, and immediately sent out of the office to do what I later discovered, was basically participate as a glorified street team. I was one of the last people still waiting, when one of the managers finally called my name. I was not sent out of the office with anyone. She sat me down and began to vaguely describe the position to me. I was going to be a "Marketing Executive", she told me. I was intrigued by the position title, but as I began to ask questions about the position, it became clear that she was purposefully being vague about my responsibilities. I later asked about health benefits, to which she just said, "no".

I asked more questions, and she told me that I would be supporting wildlife funds, and other non profit organizations. I liked this aspect of the idea, and after about ten min of talking, she concluded the interview, and I left. When I walked through the office, I realized this office had maybe 5 desks, and the rest was open space. Kind of weird for having about 30-40 people clearly working there. As I walked to the port authority to head back home, I saw a group of the other interviewees who were in the waiting room with me. They were obviously hounding people and asking them to donate for things. Later that day, she called me and offered me the position. I reluctantly said yes, just because I still didn't know what was in for. The next day I came in, and she had me sit down with papers to fill out. I looked over them and then their daily "energizing" meeting started. This basically consisted of about 30 of us standing in a room, while the office manager spouted off generalizations about "reaching our goals" and how to better approach people. I realized then, that this place was just a marketing agency that puts people on the street to try and get people's credit card info. I do believe it's for legitimate donations to non profits, but the way they get people to donate is not very desirable. I was polite, and hung around for a bit, but I left soon after, and did not return for "work" the next day. The sketchy vibe was all around this place.

I don't think you should join this company, unless you're legitimately interested in being one of those people who you annoyingly try to sell you something in NYC as you're walking down the street. Some people who worked there seemed to actually enjoy this job, but they all seemed very young. I'm almost 30, and could just tell right away that this wasn't for me.

Just wasn't a place I'd like to work.

Marketing Executive Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at B&G Marketing Concepts (New York, NY) in March 2014.

Interview

The first interview I went for was with Brittany. She was very personable and made her decision quickly. I then got an email with the details for a second interview.

A few days later I came in for a second round interview. I was set up with a trainer who showed me the ropes of the position. Jade was really fun to be alongside during the day.

The job wasn't fully what I expected but I was pleasantly surprised because I love talking to people and working with nonprofits.

By the end of the day I had seen what the full business in the entry level consisted of.

I sat in the waiting room for a third interview with Brittany. She offered the position to me on the spot!

Interview Questions

• Would you prefer being behind a desk or face to face with clients?   1 Answer

Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at B&G Marketing Concepts (New York, NY).

Interview

Walked in, bunch of kids fresh out of college sitting there waiting. We all know what that means – recruiting for door to door sales superstars. Whoo! Not that I’m knocking commission sales jobs; I’m sure a few people out there enjoy them. But all too often with these positions, they feed you some pyramid scam like they’ll hold 75% of your paycheck to later reinvest it in turning you into a manager. Well that’s another way of saying thanks for working for us, we want our paycheck back now. Good luck ever seeing any of that money you earned.

Also I love the way these companies advertise the positions as “marketing” or “manager trainee”. This isn’t marketing, nor will you be managing anyone. It’s straight up sales with no base pay, and their job postings are dishonest and a waste of time. Recruiters lie like this when the position sucks and no one’s buying into it, so they try to sell something brown wrapped in a gold package to anyone that comes along. But no worries, young job seekers; you’ll learn to filter companies like this one out with practice.

Interview Questions

• Are you ready to become a superstar?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at B&G Marketing Concepts (New York, NY) in February 2018.

Interview

This was the biggest waste of my time. It pays $35 a day and $65 per donation you receive. And how are we supposed to get these donations? You guessed it. Stop people on the streets of Manhattan and pester them until they become a donor.
    They make you feel like you are important and they really like you after the first round interview. But they have a program that churns our solicitor after solicitor tirelessly to bother people in the streets.
    Sure, there’s upward mobility. But you’ll be begging for donations on the street for 2 years before making any real money.
    The second round interview so basically getting on the subway to go to “the field” and observing the interviewer get rejected multiple times while doing her job. It was sad and cringeworthy. Way below anyone’s pay grade.
    Please stay away. I feel like I got scammed out of a couple hours.

Interview Questions

• Name ten good characteristics and ten bad characteristic of a manager.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at B&G Marketing Concepts (New York, NY) in January 2016.

Interview

The interview process itself was really easy. There were lots of candidates there to interview on the same day, so my interview was sandwiched between lots of others and took about 5 minutes to complete. The hiring manager, who was apparently also one of the highest ranking employees, was very nice and made me feel very well liked. I was called back for a follow up interview as soon as I got home, which made me feel a bit suspicious, especially given the large amount of interviewees present in the office at the time I was there that day. I went back the next day for the second interview, where I shadowed an employee "in the field" for a few hours, before returning to the office to meet again with the hiring manager. They were ready to offer me a position then and there, which again, felt a little strange to me, so I went home and thought it over and eventually turned down the position.

Interview Questions

I had a bad feeling about the position.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at B&G Marketing Concepts (New York, NY) in May 2014.

Interview

First interview is just covering the basics of resume and experience and what type of work you're looking for. Second round is a day of observation where you shadow someone through the entire workday. Third round usually happens right after the second and it is based on whether your mentor and the manager liked you/if you liked the job

Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at B&G Marketing Concepts (New York, NY) in May 2015.

Interview

It is a short screening interview. There were only a few questions asked and then they get back to you if they want you to come in for a second screening

Interview Questions

• do you prefer to work alone or on a team   1 Answer

Executive Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at B&G Marketing Concepts (New York, NY) in March 2016.

Interview

First, there was a 20 minute interview, and then there was a 3 hour shadowing process, and then another 20 minute interview. Everyone was nice, but they keep their office beta fish in tiny bowls and I take that as a bad sign -- plus, there was a lot of walking around in the shadowing portion.

Interview Questions

• What are the three most important things you're looking for in a job?   1 Answer

Customer Services Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at B&G Marketing Concepts (New York, NY) in December 2015.

Interview

The process was very odd. I was a couple minutes late for my interview, but sat in the lobby for 20 minutes. I met with a woman who asked me a few questions about whether i wanted a desk job or not. It didn't really feel like she was listening to me though. The whole thing lasted maybe 10 minutes max.

They called me later that day 3 times in 10 minutes without leaving a voicemail, i picked up on the 4th call and it was an offer for a second interview. They also emailed me the details of my interview. I declined to come in, and yet, they called me the next day to confirm my interview time even though i had already said i wasnt coming in.

Interview Questions

• would you feel comfortable doing face to face marketing?   1 Answer

I decided I didnt really want to do the type of job they were offering

Marketing Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at B&G Marketing Concepts (New York, NY) in August 2014.

Interview

This whole interview process felt like the scammiest thing on the planet. The majority of the issues I had with this interview (and this company) was the overall lack of transparency - in regards to both the job description as well as what was happening during the course of the interview.

HOW THEY GET YOU: 1) Estimate the salary at $30,000-40,000/yr (actually, it is $35/day plus commission on the sales, but if you don't sell for 2 days and you are officially making below minimum wage, they will fire you so you aren't a liability). 2) Promise of upward mobility into a management position.

I replied to a general job posting online and was contacted by one of the managers rather quickly. I was scheduled for an in-person interview by their offices. The way they work, the preliminary interview will last about 15 minutes - just you talking with a manager about your background, the marketing models the company likes to use, and a bit about the position. They will then ask you back for a second interview right away - which happens during that same day.

The second interview is where the interview get sketchy. The job - which with the aid of circumlocution, they have neglected to accurately describe - is to be a professional heckler. What the company neglects to mention from the start is that they are a direct marketing company that bigger, better companies outsource to to save money. This means that you will be out on the streets for hours every day, hassling strangers on the sidewalk, and trying to force their hands into subscriptions or donations. And trust me, you get your first awful taste of it in this "second interview", as you join them on the streets.

For myself, I was offered the job (I guess?) though never in so many words. I only realized I had been offered the job when I showed up the next day - I was told I could come observe some of the in-office corporate structure to help make up my mind - and when I sat down, they plopped the New Hire paperwork right in front of me and were pressuring me to fill out the forms and sign. This is the 'tricky' nature of the company that I most despised. I legitimately had to wait for my 'interviewing manager' to walk away before I apologized, said no thank you, and essentially ran out of the offices.

Interview Questions

• My hiring manager gave me an 8 page packet to fill out with a number of questions about predicted career growth, qualities of a leader, etc. Lots of introspection and writing to be done, all the while observing some street-side heckling.   Answer Question

The whole process felt too shifty, and I especially didn't appreciate that they weren't even upfront about offering me the position