B&H Photo Video Interview Questions in New York City, NY | Glassdoor

Updated Apr 3, 2017

24 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Mobile Phone Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at B&H Photo Video (New York, NY) in March 2017.

Interview

The initial interview started out great, but wasn't so great in the end. I had a phone screening plus three in-person interviews.

The initial interview process was good - I was contacted by the recruiter over the phone where I was screened for roughly 10-15 minutes. That process consisted of general questions by the recruiter. After that, the recruiter invited me to their corporate offices where I met the recruiter in person, face to face for a more detailed interview, questions were shot at me about my background and general work history.

After about 20 or so minutes of answering the recruiters questions and going over my relevant work experience, the recruiter then suggested that I meet with the department manager of mobile phones over at 420 9th Ave., on the same day, which was no problem as it was literally a cross the street from their corporate offices.

I walked over to the B&H store in anticipation, wait a little bit and I'm finally introduced to the department manager of mobile phones. This interview process was a bit easier, as he just basically quizzed me on my knowledge of mobile phones, accessories and other related products. This process also lasted out 20 minutes. The department manager seemed pleased, and said that I would be getting a call back next week.

So, I get call back from the recruiter who says that he wants me to come by again to their corporate offices on 440 9th Ave. to meet with their Director of Sales -- I of course agree, and pick a day to come in.

This is where it wasn's so great. I come in and briefly meet the recruiter who then escorts me to the Director of Sales, who starts to ask me about my work experience, as I'm detailing my work experience the Director of Sales cuts me off and proceeds to politely tell me that my 10 years of relevant work experience in mobile phone sales doesn't meet their requirements, he then politely tells me that there are lots of more qualified applicants for the position and ends the interview.

Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at B&H Photo Video (New York, NY).

Interview

Had a short conversation on the phone then was asked to come in for 2 interviews- one with the head of human resources and one with the team you'd be working closely with.

Interview Questions

• What do you consider our strengths and weaknesses, why do you wana work here, what was your biggest accomplishment, do you enjoy working individually or as part of a team   Answer Question

Customer Service Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at B&H Photo Video (New York, NY) in August 2016.

Interview

Was easy to land an interview. Asked to meet at my convenience, briefly looked at my resume, described an appropriate entry level customer service position, he described the responsibilities of the job and importance of punctuality. Overall easygoing

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Not much negotiation

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at B&H Photo Video (New York, NY).

Interview

You go in and speak to the HR person, Avi, then if you're lucky you can go in and speak to the manager and then sales director all in same day. If not, then you have to come back. I got called within a week that I got the job but didn't start until a month and a 1/2 later. It was also right before break so I immediately had 10 days off with no pay.

Production Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at B&H Photo Video (New York, NY) in January 2016.

Interview

Two interviews about a week apart. Mostly on time. The second interview was a little hands on to make sure I could use a computer for what they needed. The office is on the next block apart from their main store.

User Experience Designer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at B&H Photo Video (New York, NY) in April 2015.

Interview

Managers ask you if you know about photography. It's important to them you are aware of their business. They want to know if you're comfortable in their environment since it's so radically different then anywhere you have worked. The ask you a few UX questions but your website work already sold you to them. They want a UX designer with a good design sense. They don't care about your programming abilities.

Interview Questions

• Q. What is your experience and knowledge with photography?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Awful. I felt like I was on a used car lot, haggling for every dollar. Don't be fooled. They don't care about your past experience. They have a number already. They are just trying to see how low they can go.

Content Writer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at B&H Photo Video (New York, NY) in February 2015.

Interview

Bizarre interview experience. The job post was up, but to my surprise, I was interviewed for several positions (all in one sitting), none of which were the content writer position- when I confirmed that's what I got called for, they made a vague excuse about how they're not hiring content writers, even though that's what was on the website. I interviewed for copy editing and a position elsewhere within the marketing department (I believe it was to enter and confirm equipment specifications). I interviewed with them twice in person, and then they called to bring me in for a third interview, refusing to conduct it over the phone. I live a $30 train ride away. When you're unemployed, spending $90 on transit with no guarantee of a job is ludicrous, and I turned the interview down.

Everyone was very pleasant, but the company seemed disorganized and even a bit misleading.

Photo Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at B&H Photo Video (New York, NY) in November 2014.

Interview

Very long. I felt like the interview questions were really strange. Too many to list, but I felt uncomfortable. Too many personal questions unrelated to the job. Asked only a handful of technical questions. Questions were asked and repeated in a different wording. BRING YOUR RESUME!!!! It's been awhile since I went on an interview, but rarely has anyone asked me for a copy of my resume. This time they did and unfortunately it didn't seem to go over so well. After every question I answered I was asked to give an example. The worst experience I've ever had.

Interview Questions

• Is there anyone that looks to you for advice? Can you give me an example?   1 Answer

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at B&H Photo Video (New York, NY) in October 2014.

Interview

Very simple and straight forward. It was with very nice people and no tricks. I was asked for an resume and was asked things like where did I hear about B&H and what I expected out of the job and if I had plans on staying there for a while.

Copywriter Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at B&H Photo Video (New York, NY).

Interview

Interviewed by a well-heeled Senior Copywriter, who had done his research ahead of time.
    Interview was mainly focused on the craft and skill of writing in different forms
    re: short form, bullet form, long form.

Interview Questions

• Pretty straightforward. Senior copywriter mainly concerned with me being able to do the job on deadline and reliably.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Pretty straightforward. Little room for negotiation based on experience.
    They already had an idea of how much they were going to offer
    for the job.