BASF Corporation Interview Questions | Glassdoor

BASF Corporation Interview Questions

Updated Dec 5, 2017

Associate Chemist Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at BASF Corporation (New York, NY) in September 2017.

Interview

I applied through the career section of their website. I received an email from an HR rep to schedule a phone screening interview. It was a lot more than what I was expecting - basically 30 min of behavior-based questions. They told me at the end of the interview that I could go on to the next stage, which is a one-way video interview using this software HireVue.

It is awkward recording yourself on a webcam, but they (HireVue) give practice questions that I highly recommend doing as it can help you get used to the system, which is important considering they only ask 5-10 questions. The questions were general questions (why BASF, why this position, etc) and questions about my experience related to the position. There may have been a behavioral question or two in there.

About 2 weeks after that, I was invited to an on-site panel interview with 5 people. I was told that the questions would be behavior-based questions, but I’d say about 40% of my questions were technical.

About a week after, I got a call offering the position. I found the HR department to be very responsive. They reimbursed me for travel expenses very quickly, which was great.

Asset Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at BASF Corporation in September 2017.

Interview

The process was straight forward, Hiring was as expected, clear communication and coordination. There was little in the way of miss-communication, miss-understanding. Interface with ancillary groups as well as support functions was helpful in over view and organizational hierarchy.

PDP Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rutgers, NJ

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at BASF Corporation (Rutgers, NJ) in September 2017.

Interview

The interview process was very simple, 2 interviewers, behavioral questions and questions relating to supply chain management. They want to know how well you work in groups and be sure to go through common interview questions beforehand. The people that interviewed me were extremely nice and friendly.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ann Arbor, MI

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at BASF Corporation (Ann Arbor, MI) in September 2017.

Interview

2 interviews, behavioral and technical. 30 minutes were spent with each of the interviewers as well as getting to talk to recruiters in the waiting area beforehand. made it feel very welcoming.

Interview Questions

• What is one of your weaknesses and what are you doing to address it?   Answer Question

Finance Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at BASF Corporation in September 2017.

Interview

Resume drop through on campus recruiting, invited for OCI. Interview seemed to go well, but weren't that interested in hiring a sophomore. Seemed to be a waste of both of our times to have me in for an interview.

PDP - Chemical Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at BASF Corporation (Pittsburgh, PA) in September 2017.

Interview

There were two 30-minute interviews. The first was with two managers/ human resource employees and was behavioral-based. The second was with an engineer and was the technical portion. The technical questions are focused on your method and reasoning, not necessarily a correct answer.

Accounting Finance Economics PDP Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Villanova, PA

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at BASF Corporation (Villanova, PA) in September 2017.

Interview

Lots of behavioral questions in the first round. Interviewer was very friendly. Asked a lot of questions specifically tailored to items on my resume, and proceeded with behavioral part from there. Nothing out of left field, and nothing technical (I didn't get a second round interview though, so I don't know too much about that).

PDP Engineering Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at BASF Corporation in September 2017.

Interview

I applied online and had an employee referral because the PDP program did not recruit at my university. I was first asked to do a video interview where you are given 10 questions and you have to record yourself answering the questions. This is all done within the same sitting. A couple weeks after my video interview was submitted I had a over-the-phone interview with someone who recruited at my university. I was told it was a technical interview however it was another behavioral interview with one technical question that did not relate to engineering. Unfortunately I was not chosen to go to the next step after my over-the-phone interview.

Interview Questions

• How can you figure out how many jellybeans can fit in a pool?   Answer Question
    • What courses related to your experiences more?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time where you have to change your perspective.   Answer Question

PDP Engineering Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at BASF Corporation in September 2017.

Interview

First round interview was mostly technical. Not difficult questions so just relax. They are looking to see how you would solve a problem. Not a right or wrong answer. There will be a chance for you to discuss your past accomplishments and experience. First round interview was with two engineers. The second round interview was with two engineers and HR rep.

Interview Questions

• How many jelly beans can go into a swimming pool   1 Answer

Human Resources Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Research Triangle Park, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 8+ weeks. I interviewed at BASF Corporation (Research Triangle Park, NC) in August 2017.

Interview

After learning about the HR restructuring in the company late 16 early 17, there were numerous HR positions that were posted, initially believing a clean sweep was done. It's not uncommon for very large companies to do this if the business is preparing for major changes either organic or M&A. So I applied for at least 31 reqs (ones that at face value matched up with my years of experience working in HR Corporate/HR Operations and HR Manufacturing.

After 6 weeks, I heard and spoke to two outsourced company representatives that seemed to be stressed and rightly so ( IBM Talent Acquisition Optimization)

After two "pre-screens" discussions and two HireVue (Skype) 15 minute video Q&A scenario questions, a few more weeks went by and was contacted by them to fly up to the upper Midwest for a role I was very interested in my home state (Southeast). A little weird why a company spends money on hotel, car and flight when I'm in the backyard but hey, whatever.

I also had to prepare a 5 page power point slide presentation on two fictitious HR scenarios as part of this onsite interview panel. The "chemistry" I felt was excellent, probably one of the best interview experiences I had. I wasn't nervous. displayed confidence, competency in my presentation and answered all questions in STAR format.

The sinking feeling hit home when I learned toward the end of the interview, not all requisitions were truly real, given internals were moving around within the company so presumably requisitions were developed to serve as the infamous paper trail and to show EEO metrics of internal to external hires.

The other interview was in NC and truly a waist of company money. Spending 3/4's of the day in airports for a 1 hour interview could have been more efficient by Skype. One of the panel members didn't even show up and the atmosphere wasn't as "welcoming" and I'll leave it at that.

So after 4 days straight of traveling for this company, I got a 0 burger and they received probably some of the best intellectual HR information from someone with Fortune 100 Mfg HR experience to use for their use.

Advice to HR Leadership: My perception only is your leaders have waisted my time, company travel budget and built up false hope ( I'll own that one). Apparently you all had no intention of hiring externals for many if not most of these coveted roles for those of us unemployed / underemployed who are highly capable competent professionals . This speaks volumes to your company HR branding. However it is 2017 and BASF proves they cannot differentiate themselves from other large fish, nothing but the last four digits of a SS #.

Interview Questions

• All STAR Q&A's!s so if you want to make it to the airport, give Situation Task Action Result answers.   Answer Question