BBC Broadcast Journalist Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Oct 6, 2017

3.7

11 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at BBC (London, England (UK)) in September 2017.

Interview

Application made through BBC careers hub.

I was called to interview six weeks after the application deadline with two weeks notice.

The interview was basically dreadful. I spent 30+ hours preparing for a competency based interview as per the BBC recommendations and didn't get the interview I expected.

I wasn't asked about my past work history. The questions were vague and not structured in a manner to give a competency based reply. The role was for a new position and it became clear that one of the panel didn't understand the requirements. Another member of the panel had to interrupt and correct him which was embarrassing.

I was asked nothing about that week's news events or current affairs which I found very strange.

To be honest it was like being stuck in an episode of W1A - and yes I did get stuck in the entrance doors.

I knew that I wasn't in contention for the job about a third of the way through the interview but had to wait 10 days for the e-mail rejection. Ultimately the process took nine-and-a-half weeks and was a waste of time.

If I ever apply to the BBC again I'd scrap preparing for a competency based interview and focus more on how I was saying things instead of what I was saying.

Other Interview Reviews for BBC

Broadcast Journalist Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at BBC.

Interview

An online application and test, then about a two month later an invitation to come for an interview with the direct superior and members of the editorial stuff.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about an original story you found and how you presented it in a creative way   1 Answer

Broadcast Journalist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 7 weeks. I interviewed at BBC.

Interview

An online application, then about a month later an invitation to come for a voice test (recording of a news bulletin), and a news quiz (which involved local knowledge). Once this stage was passed, I had an invitation a couple of days later to come for a three person panel interview. I had about a weeks' notice.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about an original story you found and how you presented it in a creative way   Answer Question
    • What's been the most diffciult day of your career so far and how did you deal with it   Answer Question
    • x is happening soon, how can we cover it in an interesting way?   Answer Question
    • You're alone in the newsroom ten minutes before the bulletin. The phone rings. Anonymous caller says (insert famous politician) has been in a car crash. What do you do?   Answer Question
    • Name and describe the defences for libel   Answer Question

Broadcast Journalist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Newyork, Scotland (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at BBC (Newyork, Scotland (UK)) in June 2017.

Interview

Applied online then after 1 month was called for a written interview, then after 2 weeks was called for a competency based interview And sat before a 4 man panel.... Though they were welcoming And made me feel at ease.
    They said they would get back to me in a month's time.

Broadcast Journalist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cardiff, Wales (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at BBC (Cardiff, Wales (UK)).

Interview

Online application followed by a two person panel interview. Once I was accepted for interview I was offered a choice of time slots over two days (presumably on a first come first serve basis). I had about a weeks warning. It was quite formal, but friendly. It was entirely question based, with a lot of hypotheticals.

Interview Questions

• Based on your knowledge of this role, and the job description, how do you think your skills make you the right person for the job?   Answer Question
    • Euros 2016 is going to be a massive event this year. How do you suggest we cover it in an interesting way?   Answer Question
    • If someone tweeted that {insert famous politician} had been involved in a car crash and it was just you and a producer in the newsroom, what would you do?   Answer Question
    • What did you think of our coverage of the {insert election}? What worked and what didn't work? What could we have done better?   Answer Question
    • If the Queen was visiting {insert place} and you had been sent to cover it, what would you do if security told you you weren't on the list and couldn't be allowed access?   Answer Question

Broadcast Journalist Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at BBC.

Interview

They've massively simplified this process recently. Cv and straightforward application questions on website. 40-minute competency-based interview + news test - compose a running order from a series of press releases.

Interview Questions

• What have you done to prepare?   1 Answer
    • What was your most creative idea in the last 6 months?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a stressful situation at work. How did you deal with it?   Answer Question
    • When have you had to use your persuasive powers to get a guest on air?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at BBC (London, England (UK)) in October 2013.

Interview

Very long from application to interview to offer. Very typical of the BBC

Interview Questions

• Have you worked for a broadcaster before?   1 Answer

Better offer elsewhere

Broadcast Journalist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at BBC.

Interview

Interviewed through board of four people, all newsroom people. Have done a few of these. Worth having a how to deal with a difficult person answer up your sleeve. Also had to do a practical journalism test - some story ideas. Also had prepared a couple of story ideas in advance of the interview which I was asked - and am asked every time I do one of these.

Interview Questions

• Give us an example when ..... also the general knowledge quiz   Answer Question

Broadcast Journalist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New Delhi (India)

Application

I interviewed at BBC (New Delhi (India)) in March 2013.

Interview

had a phone interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at BBC (London, England (UK)) in July 2010.

Interview

This was for a Senior Management position. BBC interviews, or ' boards' as they are called are notoriously tough. Always panel interviews where they are designed to trip you up. A lot of the vacancies they have they already know who they want for the job but have to go through the process of interviewing others. So it can be a waste of time but its always worth going to them for the experience. BBC even have an in house service on how to board well.

Interview Questions

• Justify the existence of part x of BBC. Why do we need it?   Answer Question