BBC Interview Questions | Glassdoor

3.2

60 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Assistant Editor/Production Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

The process took a week. I interviewed at BBC (New York, NY).

Interview

The staff was extremely kind and professional and made me feel welcome at the office. They took the time to ask great questions and really seemed to value my time. I ended up not getting the job, but they sent a very kind follow up email saying that they would consider me in the future if a position more fit for my specific skills came up. Great hiring team and overall fantastic learning experience that will inform how I handle future interviews.

Interview Questions

• They asked for a portfolio of my editing and film work.   1 Answer

Sales and Marketing Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edina, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at BBC (Edina, MN) in July 2016.

Interview

First I was phone screened. The next was a one on one interview performed by an Assistant Manager in his office. And the next was performed by a Corporate Trainer offsite at a coffee shop. The Corporate Trainer was very knowledgeable and interviewed well, and free coffee is always a win. After meeting with the Corporate Trainer, the had me meet with an Office Manager to go over any questions that I may have.

Interview Questions

• Where do you see yourself in five years?   1 Answer

Brocater Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rochester, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at BBC (Rochester, NY) in March 2016.

Interview

Online application followed by a two person panel interview. The whole process took about 4 weeks. 40-minute competency-based interview + news test – compose a running order from a series of press releases.

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at BBC (Boston, MA) in December 2014.

Interview

apply through university and get an interview in a career fair in Boston.
     overall easy interview.
    the interviewer seems not excited about his work and pretty tired.
    The overall experience is not good.
     would decline the offer if granted.

Accountant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at BBC in July 2013.

Interview

asked questions about my background and what I would bring to the table. Also asked my strengths and weaknesses in regards to the business and business professional lifestyle. They liked my interest in marketing which was shocking for an accountant role. So talk up marketing

Sales Operation Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at BBC (New York, NY) in September 2007.

Interview

First I got a call from the HR contact and did a very brief phone interview. She asked that I come in for an in-person interview. Since I was living out-of-state at the time (they are based in NYC), my time was limited to only days I knew I was already planning on being in NYC. When I went in for the interview, I met with the same HR contact. She was dressed in a hoodie sweatshirt, a skirt and flip flops. I was surprised at the lack of professionalism at such a large, reputable company. The first face-to-face meeting was pretty short. The HR contact told me (after at one point saying the word “sh*t”) she wanted me to meet with the sales director the following day, but she wouldn’t know of the exact time until later that day so she would call me. She did call me later and asked for a 9am interview. The following day, at 8:45am when I was already outside the building, I got a call cancelling that interview and asking if I could come in around 3pm (a definite time was not scheduled because she wasn’t sure if the sales director would want to leave early given it was a Friday). So she asked that I call ½ hour before I come. I thought this was very unusual and highly unprofessional, but I wanted the job so I agreed. At 2:30 I called and she said they I would not be meeting the sales director in person after all, but instead would do a series of phone interviews the following week. At this point, I was not interested in this position or BBC America anymore. No phone interviews were ever done.

Interview Questions

• Describe my current responsibilities (very easy interview, lasting about 15 minutes).   Answer Question

Broadcast Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 7 weeks. I interviewed at BBC (London, England (UK)) in April 2017.

Interview

Applied online, HR contacted me to arrange an interview time which they changed last minute. The Interviewers apologized for the mistake, seemed friendly and nice in the interview however I needed to chase them in order to get a response regarding their decision. They didn't answer any email and instead just put unsuccessful on the job board. I didn't bother asking for feedback.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for the BBC? What do you like/ not like about the show? What would you change? What shows do you want to create? Tell me about your self.   Answer Question

Designer In Visual Journalism Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at BBC (London, England (UK)).

Interview

Very slow process. Applied online on BBC careers website, received an email to complete a task and attend an interview about a month later. Went for the interview and didn't receive any feedback for 3 weeks so emailed one of the people who interviewed me to know what happened with the interview.

Interview Questions

• In the last couple of weeks, was there a story that you think wasn't covered well or at all? What is it and why is it important?   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at BBC in March 2017.

Interview

There was a phone interview with 2-3 people on the other end. The interview started like 15 minutes late and at first the phone voice quality was catastrophic and the fault was not on my side. Then we switched to Hangouts, which improved things.

It was mostly a friendly conversation about my technical abilities. I described architecture of a previous project, described most of technologies we used and stuff like that. I told them about the Agile processes we follow at the company, sprint planning, our daily meetings, retrospective meetings etc. At the end of the interview I got the feedback that I have been working and dealing with the same problems they are working on and that it was a good thing.

After a week, I got a call from HR person to tell that while the team liked me technically, I was short on experience in working in a team, which is absurd. I told the HR person that I wasn't asked anything specifically about working in a team and that the interview was mostly about technical things. I live outside of UK by the way. So be prepared for such things, don't waste your time...

Interview Questions

• Describe the architecture of a project you worked on   Answer Question
    • Describe a technology that you are interested in lately (in the last two months).   Answer Question

Trainee Broadcast Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Birmingham, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at BBC (Birmingham, England (UK)) in February 2017.

Interview

Online application with standard motivational style questions. Followed by quite a lengthy situational judgement test. I was invited to an assessment center about a month later.

The assessment center consisted of four tasks. A brief multiple choice test which asked a very broad mix of software, production, maths and electronics style questions. There was nothing particularly advanced but you can be stretched for time if you are too relaxed.

The second task was a one on one "technical" interview. Here I was required to talk through a pre-prepared presentation on the production of a television program. I spent quite a lot of time preparing and was very disappointed my interviewer kept reminding me that they were behind schedule and I would have to skip over bits. I was then asked some very basic technical questions again in a very rushed manner.

This was followed by a 'strength based' interview. In this you are bombarded with around 50 short strength questions and given about 30 seconds to answer each. Again my interviewer reminded me that they were behind schedule and I would have to hurry up. There is no back and forth in this interview style and they will move on as soon as you pause. Many questions made poor grammatical sense and my interviewer refused to provide clarification on any when queried.

Final stage was a group task which was essentially a prioritization task. This was quite a lot of fun and was a good task at allowing everyone to get involved.

At the end of the assessment center we had a tour of the building and told we would hear back in just over a month. Around six weeks later I was told I was unsuccessful and given very brief feedback. I was frustrated to hear the only negative in my performance was that I could have conveyed more passion for the role. This was a single question in the strength based interview where I was given 30 seconds to convey my answer before the interviewer moved on. I would definitely recommend preparing numerous very brief statements for interviews at this role, as there is no chance to get across motivations in a discussion.