BBC Interview Questions | Glassdoor

BBC Interview Questions

Updated May 24, 2017

3.1

Operations Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Manchester, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at BBC (Manchester, England (UK)).

Interview

Initial phone interview with a recruiter, then attended an assessment day. First part of the day was a group exercise with other candidates: a troubleshooting and problem solving activity where we had to gather information and then discuss our findings. Second part was individual competency-based interview and a technical test.

Interview Questions

• Describe an occasion when you had to make a difficult decision.   Answer Question

PMO Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at BBC.

Interview

There was a telephone and then a face to face with situational type questions. The reason for this was to see how I will react when faced with a similar type scenario at work

Interview Questions

• Tell me a time you had to work with a difficult colleague   Answer Question

Broadcast Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 7 weeks. I interviewed at BBC (London, England (UK)) in April 2017.

Interview

Applied online, HR contacted me to arrange an interview time which they changed last minute. The Interviewers apologized for the mistake, seemed friendly and nice in the interview however I needed to chase them in order to get a response regarding their decision. They didn't answer any email and instead just put unsuccessful on the job board. I didn't bother asking for feedback.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for the BBC? What do you like/ not like about the show? What would you change? What shows do you want to create? Tell me about your self.   Answer Question

Designer In Visual Journalism Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at BBC (London, England (UK)).

Interview

Very slow process. Applied online on BBC careers website, received an email to complete a task and attend an interview about a month later. Went for the interview and didn't receive any feedback for 3 weeks so emailed one of the people who interviewed me to know what happened with the interview.

Interview Questions

• In the last couple of weeks, was there a story that you think wasn't covered well or at all? What is it and why is it important?   Answer Question

Data Manager Role Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at BBC (London, England (UK)).

Interview

30 Min phone call followed by 2 interviews. For the 1st Interview I was asked to prepare a presentation on the role and it's challenges at the BBC. The Second was more around my experience and fit for the role.

Interview Questions

• Lot's of questions that give an opportunity to demonstrate previous experience and how this could be applied in new role   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at BBC in March 2017.

Interview

There was a phone interview with 2-3 people on the other end. The interview started like 15 minutes late and at first the phone voice quality was catastrophic and the fault was not on my side. Then we switched to Hangouts, which improved things.

It was mostly a friendly conversation about my technical abilities. I described architecture of a previous project, described most of technologies we used and stuff like that. I told them about the Agile processes we follow at the company, sprint planning, our daily meetings, retrospective meetings etc. At the end of the interview I got the feedback that I have been working and dealing with the same problems they are working on and that it was a good thing.

After a week, I got a call from HR person to tell that while the team liked me technically, I was short on experience in working in a team, which is absurd. I told the HR person that I wasn't asked anything specifically about working in a team and that the interview was mostly about technical things. I live outside of UK by the way. So be prepared for such things, don't waste your time...

Interview Questions

• Describe the architecture of a project you worked on   Answer Question
    • Describe a technology that you are interested in lately (in the last two months).   Answer Question

Trainee Broadcast Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Birmingham, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at BBC (Birmingham, England (UK)) in February 2017.

Interview

Online application with standard motivational style questions. Followed by quite a lengthy situational judgement test. I was invited to an assessment center about a month later.

The assessment center consisted of four tasks. A brief multiple choice test which asked a very broad mix of software, production, maths and electronics style questions. There was nothing particularly advanced but you can be stretched for time if you are too relaxed.

The second task was a one on one "technical" interview. Here I was required to talk through a pre-prepared presentation on the production of a television program. I spent quite a lot of time preparing and was very disappointed my interviewer kept reminding me that they were behind schedule and I would have to skip over bits. I was then asked some very basic technical questions again in a very rushed manner.

This was followed by a 'strength based' interview. In this you are bombarded with around 50 short strength questions and given about 30 seconds to answer each. Again my interviewer reminded me that they were behind schedule and I would have to hurry up. There is no back and forth in this interview style and they will move on as soon as you pause. Many questions made poor grammatical sense and my interviewer refused to provide clarification on any when queried.

Final stage was a group task which was essentially a prioritization task. This was quite a lot of fun and was a good task at allowing everyone to get involved.

At the end of the assessment center we had a tour of the building and told we would hear back in just over a month. Around six weeks later I was told I was unsuccessful and given very brief feedback. I was frustrated to hear the only negative in my performance was that I could have conveyed more passion for the role. This was a single question in the strength based interview where I was given 30 seconds to convey my answer before the interviewer moved on. I would definitely recommend preparing numerous very brief statements for interviews at this role, as there is no chance to get across motivations in a discussion.

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Manchester, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at BBC (Manchester, England (UK)) in February 2017.

Interview

they are looking for junior developer, not sure why they still want a interview with experience senior role. I got interview by same level developer, which I feel not being review by a level upper. They tend to want candidate answer text book answer.

Graduate Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at BBC (London, England (UK)) in January 2017.

Interview

A coding question. Make sure sure to write unit tests, comments and maintainable code. Asked for an assessment centre, which consisted of a group exercise, technical interview and then a competency interview. People are friendly and there is no trick questions. Be confident when answering.

Interview Questions

• Why you want to work for BBC? Where do you see yourself in 5 years? Have you used any build tools? Explain MVC?   Answer Question

Human Resources Role Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at BBC in December 2016.

Interview

No news after a 4 weeks of applying then an email out of the blue to say they wanted to see me for an interview. Interview was competency based and the interviewers were very personable. The recruiter at the BBC was unprofessional and also failed to do what they said they would do.... typical recruiter!

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you have had conflicting priorities   Answer Question