BBC Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jan 12, 2018

3.1

Assistant Editor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at BBC (London, England (UK)).

Interview

The process involves filling in an online application which was successful and led to an interview. I was extremely prepared for the interview. From the moment I walked into the room the atmosphere was negative. I understand this can be an interview technique but I understood it more to be the norm for this organisation. Overall the experience was very disappointing and disheartening.

Interview Questions

• Why I wanted to work for them.   1 Answer

Broadcast Journalist - BBC Sport Interactive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salford, North West England, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at BBC (Salford, North West England, England (UK)).

Interview

Process involved an interview with two senior team members, a 15-min writing test based on how you'd edit a sports story for the website. Interview rounded off with quickfire sports quiz (multiple choice). Really poor show from such a big corporation. Travelled to Manchester from down south at great time and expense but received absolutely no feedback following unsuccessful interview. This was despite requesting it from one of their HR contacts. Leaves you wondering whether to ever bother applying for them in the future! They really need to up their game to save some candidates wasting their time and money.

Interview Questions

• Asked to rank sports events in order of importance to the BBC.   1 Answer

Agile Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Manchester, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at BBC (Manchester, England (UK)) in December 2017.

Interview

It was a competency-based interview in Salford (Media City). There was a request with one of the questions to use a whiteboard. There were 2 interviewers (Senior BA, Product Manager)

Interview Questions

• 1: Describe a time you have used data to come up with something creative.
      2: How have you encouraged collaboration?   1 Answer

Broadcast Journalist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Lincoln, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at BBC (Lincoln, England (UK)) in November 2017.

Interview

Started with a half an hour test compiling a news bulletin and then recording it.

Then went onto an interview with news editor and managing editor of the station.

They grilled me on a variety of topics and robustly questioned why I'd structured my news bulletin the way I did. Much more specific questions than I'd had in the past, be prepared to think on your toes and link your ideas to topics they've suggested.

Interview Questions

• The 50th anniversary of local radio is tomorrow, what creative ways could you cover this?   1 Answer
    • We got bad RAJAR figures, fewer men are listening to us. What would you do to encourage more men to listen?   1 Answer
    • Why did you choose this story for the lead in your bulletin? And why did you leave this one out?   1 Answer

Marketing Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Salford, North West England, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at BBC (Salford, North West England, England (UK)) in November 2017.

Interview

I applied online, got an email stating I had got interview about 3 weeks later. Then I had one competency based interview with two people. They asked situational questions and spoke about my previous experience. I heard back the next day with a phone call.

Interview Questions

• Name a time you have worked under pressure   2 Answers

Junior Mobile Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Manchester, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at BBC (Manchester, England (UK)) in November 2017.

Interview

Very professional interview process, the interviewers were really friendly and the process was smooth. They made me feel comfortable and once the interview started I had no stress.
    However, communication with HR was very poor, I didn't get confirmation of the interview slot booked until 3 days before the interview, even though I explained how i had to fly from another country. Also, no travelling expenses were covered even though I was told that it could happen. Also, no interview feedback was provided after no offer was set. It always took too many days before I got a reply from my Resourcing Advisor, if I got any.

Interview Questions

• Why did you study Computer Science?   1 Answer
    • What technologies do you see emerging in the next 10 years?   1 Answer

Graduate Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at BBC.

Interview

Phone interview, followed by full day of assessments team building and solo interview. ?They also covered expenses for travelling to Manchester. Staff were friendly and casual easy to approach. We also met previous graduates

Web Developer Interview

Application

Interview

I had a technical test were I spent two entire days of my life. When I was invited for the interview the interviewers were kind to me but the interview itself was far too formal: it was difficult to see a smile on their faces.
    I received an answer after a few days saying that the interview was good but they decided not to proceed with me. I asked to specify what I could have improved. They never went back to me: I believe it is unfair that a candidate spends so much time for them while they cannot spend one minute of their time for improving the candidate life.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at BBC in October 2017.

Interview

Applied online, invited to interview within ten days of closing date. Had to submit three example of original journalism beforehand, and the interview comprised an exercise and the formal panel interview.

Children In Need Partnerships Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at BBC (London, England (UK)) in October 2017.

Interview

Firstly had to complete a task as I was the postholder - was given a scenario for a corporate sponsorship opportunity and had ten minutes to prepare a brief verbal presentation (in front of two people) outlining how I would approach the task of preparing a pitch to the partner. Followed by some fairly standard questions, why do you want the job, what qualities can you bring to the role, can you talk about previous times where you have demonstrated the competencies listed on the job description etc.

Interview Questions

See What BBC Employees Are Saying

StarStarStarStarStar     Former Consultant

Pros: “Working here full time after college is the single most important reason I am succeeding at my current job. I cant learn well in huge training groups/ Online, but at BBC they took the time...”“Working here full time after college is the single most important reason I am succeeding at my current job. I cant learn well in huge training groups/ Online, but at BBC they took the time to train me in a single teacher setting so that the trainer could focus all of their efforts only on me. The team was also very friendly and made me feel like I had been part of the team for years after only my first week. I enjoy an active work environment and I was never stuck behind a desk or phone while working at BBC , every day I was learning something new.” – Full Review