BBC Interview Questions in Salford, North West England, England | Glassdoor

2.9

8 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Digital Media Graduate Scheme Interview

Anonymous Employee in Salford, North West England, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at BBC (Salford, North West England, England (UK)) in March 2016.

Interview

When invited to the assessment centre, you are greeted by two developers currently on the graduate scheme who guide you to large meeting room where food and refreshments are provided. During lunch time (either before or after the interview process), you are given the opportunity to chat with both graduate and senior developers at the company.

Firstly, there is a group task with three other people. Our task was to design the layout of an office space. We were given time to discuss it together and agree on a final design before then presenting it to the examiner.

Following this was a ordinary-style interview and a programmings skills interview. In the ordinary interview, two developers were interviewing me for about an hour, but it was quite casual and laid back. They asked me about things related to the tech sector and my soft skills. They were reading off a list of questions to ask me. Questions would sometimes overlap because they related to each other.

For the programming interview, before the assessment day, I was given a challenge to create the Game of Life in one of four languages (I was not asked to make a UI; just the model, logic and unit tests). In the interview, we discussed my code and the decisions that went into it.

The experience was very enjoyable. For both interviews, the interviewers were very reassuring when I answered; continually indicating that they're not trying to catch you out and whether they're impressed by your answers.

R&D Technologist Trainee Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salford, North West England, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at BBC (Salford, North West England, England (UK)) in March 2016.

Interview

I applied in January 2016 for this role via the BBC careers website. I received an email a few weeks later with the information that I've been shortlisted and that I should select an interview slot either in London or Salford. Those slots were selected on a first-come first-served basis. The interview took a total of 4 hours and it was very difficult in my opinion. For the first part there was a panel of 3 employees reviweing my skills. There was also some hard questions about several aspects including complex 3D spatial knowledge of virtual reality systems, audio compression and to give detailed information of how BBC iPlayer works (in terms of streaming). The second part was a short presentation with props, which you have to prepare beforehand and also some technical questions including logic ones related to coding.

Interview Questions

• Explain in detail how streaming technologies like BBC iplayer works   2 Answers

Work Experience Interview

Anonymous Employee in Salford, North West England, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at BBC (Salford, North West England, England (UK)) in February 2016.

Interview

Short task, which you were told about in advance, where had to complete written answers to questions about a story idea suitable for the programme placement applied to, then a short one to one interview about your skills, why you wanted the placement etc. It was relatively casual as only for a work experience placement.

Production Management Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Salford, North West England, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at BBC (Salford, North West England, England (UK)) in December 2015.

Interview

After applying online I got a call from a talent co-ordinator inviting me for an interview in their department's building. A small room is reserved in an office for me, the talent co-ordinator, and a production co-ordinator who was working in the department I was applying for. I was asking about 10 questions. Most were common interview questions i.e. tell me about yourself, describe how you completed a difficult task...

Interactive Researcher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salford, North West England, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at BBC (Salford, North West England, England (UK)) in September 2015.

Interview

Went on to the BBC Careers website and applied online, they then asked me to come down to Dock House and go for an interview, was picked up by a film maker who took me to a interview and the interviewers were the loveliest people around, first interview ever I felt comfortable

Senior Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salford, North West England, England (UK)

Application

The process took 3 days. I interviewed at BBC (Salford, North West England, England (UK)).

Interview

Very disorganised. The interview was done in a room with 3 people and they asked no technical questions.

I was offered the job and declined. When I declined the job, they pushed with a bigger offer. I didn't take it.

Interview Questions

They didn't seem to know what they wanted. I felt no confidence they could manage the projects.

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Salford, North West England, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at BBC (Salford, North West England, England (UK)).

Interview

I had applied for a different and more junior product manager job, as I wanted to get my foot in the door at BBC as it seemed like the perfect place for me to work. I was a bit offended when I never got a call back on that role as I was overqualified and I assumed I'd get a call. A month later I got an unexpected phone call from BBC HR offering me an interview for a mid level product manager role. I accepted the interview and first had a brief phone interview. Then I was invited to a one on one interview with the hiring manager of the team which would occur a week later. The interview went well, the staff were lovely and 6 days later I heard back from them with positive feedback. Then I was invited to London (for a Salford based role) to give a presentation in front of a panel of 3 people, including the hiring manager I had already met once before. The interview took place 2.5 weeks after the first in person interview. I was told that it would take 2 weeks to hear back yes or no for the position, though 4 days later I heard back that I had been offered the role. It was a slow process, but the steps were logical and the people were great.

Interview Questions

• Asking to create a full presentation about the topic the team you're applying for deals with. Fully thought out and requiring very detailed responses. Sometimes well more than you'd be expected to know to do the role. They don't go easy on you in the interviews, but don't be afraid to say you don't know (always remember to say where you would find the answer)   Answer Question

Negotiation

I didn't need to negotiate the pay was a little more than I expected. Was very happy with the offer.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Salford, North West England, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at BBC (Salford, North West England, England (UK)) in May 2013.

Interview

To get the interview I had to complete online assessment forms, I was then invited to submit a written coding kata challenge. After that, I was asked in for morning interview. On the day there were three parts; a face to face interview, a pair-programming exercise, and a group planning exercise.

The face to face interview was with two people from the BBC, who evaluated me based on a list of questions. Similarly, the pair-programming exercise with was two different people, one who was assessing, and the other who was trying to figure out my coding style. Finally, the group exercise had all the candidates, and we were watched by a panel of assessors who watched how we tried to solve a mock planning problem as a group.

After that, the candidates got to see the offices with a mini-tour of the site up at MediaCityUK.

Interview Questions

• Can you draw a diagram of a system you've worked on?   1 Answer
    • What is your motivation for working at the BBC?   1 Answer