BHP Billiton Interview Questions | Glassdoor

BHP Billiton Interview Questions

Updated Jul 20, 2017

2.9

Graduate Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brisbane (Australia)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at BHP Billiton (Brisbane (Australia)) in May 2017.

Interview

Online application and subsequent testing lead to a phone interview, and ultimately a place at the assessment centre. Assessment centre consisted of mini interviews (approx 10 minutes) with different managers followed by a group Q&A, as well as a separate group case study and presentation.

Very lengthy periods of time between communications from HR, with two months of silence following assessment centre before receiving rejection email.

Interview Questions

• What's the most interesting thing you have found about BHP Billiton through your research?   Answer Question

Senior Mine Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at BHP Billiton (Denver, CO) in February 2013.

Interview

They flew me to Denver, Co. The interview went great. They wanted to get to know me by conversation. This was much better than having to answer all of the irrelevant HR questions.

Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Melbourne (Australia)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at BHP Billiton (Melbourne (Australia)) in May 2017.

Interview

Initial telephone interview. I was called for a 30 min telephone interview. Two people on the panel.. one from HR and one technical. HR asked the general questions and the technical person had a couple of questions

Interview Questions

• Tell me where you initially thought you could not do the challenging job, but were able to overcome and deliver   1 Answer

Engineering Interview

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at BHP Billiton.

Interview

After completing online testing and phone interview, moved onto the engagement centre where a large group of diverse students were interviewed. The group included students from many majors such as law/engineering/occupation therapy etc etc. It was a 2.5 hour session involving a group session and a 'speed dating' interview session where applicant interviewed with 5 bhp employees from all facets of the business. Overall, a great experience. HR staff and interviewers made applicants feel very comfortable. Nothing to be worried about. Great experience.

Interview Questions

• Where have you noticed an issue with safety on a project and how did you overcome it?   Answer Question

Category Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Farmington, NM

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at BHP Billiton (Farmington, NM) in May 2013.

Interview

Phone, then in person panel that included all behavioral questions. The panel was made up of 6 people. All were friendly and professional. I interviewed around 8 AM and had an offer by noon. The negotiation was quick and painless.

Interview Questions

• Describe situation as that you dealt with difficult person, a project that went sideways and how you handle stress   Answer Question

Negotiation

Straightforward

Reservoir Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at BHP Billiton (Houston, TX) in February 2017.

Interview

I applied online. The whole process took 5 months. Got contacted 2.5 months after application. First interview was phone screen interview. The second was a panel of 3 with senior managers including hiring manager. I got the job offer 1 month after second interview. Another 3 weeks of negotiation.

Interview Questions

• What did you like the most/the least of your previous employers (each one)?   Answer Question

Graduate Geologist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brisbane (Australia)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at BHP Billiton (Brisbane (Australia)) in May 2017.

Interview

Online testing, phone interview, assessment centre, medical.

The whole interview process was fairly straight forward. However, the attention to detail was a lot better than other companies. BHP sent constant email updates about the next steps of the process, and were very friendly in all stages.
    All of the employees that I met during the process seemed very satisfied with their jobs and seemed enthusiastic to be involved in the interviewing process.

Interview Questions

• why do you want to work for BHP Billiton?   Answer Question
    • What are the core values of BHP, and which one resonates with you most?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at BHP Billiton.

Interview

My overall experience can be summed up in 1 word; unimpressed.

Process is simple: Apply Online > Online Testing > Submit Transcript / ID > Phone Interview > AC Day.

I made it all the way through to the phone interview scheduled for 45 minutes. During the phone interview the person calling rushed through the whole interview and finished it in 15 minutes. I could barely hear the interviewer and I could hear a child screaming in the background. There were no time for questions afterwards either and the whole experience told me one thing: BHP were not interested.

I get an email the next week saying that they weren't hiring in the area I was applying for.

Which leads to me to suggest the obvious to streamline the process: if you are not hiring for that area then don't open up an application process for it and perform phone interviews for it.

Tip: Be careful of where you apply if you don't want to waste your time.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time where you had to act for safety reason.   Answer Question
    • Do you want to work on site? / Can you cope with living in a remote location?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at BHP Billiton in September 2016.

Interview

Online application, Online psychometric testing, 45 mins phone interview, half day assessment centre with individual interview (behavioural) and group work on case study, presentation with HR, D&A testing then offer

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Perth, Western Australia (Australia)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at BHP Billiton (Perth, Western Australia (Australia)) in June 2016.

Interview

The whole application was as follows for the 2016/2017 Australian Internship:

1st round: resume and cover letter, some generic info questions
    2nd round: series of cognitive and emotional intelligence testing
    3rd round: telephone interview
    4th round: assessment centre
    5th round: (FIFO site workers) physical assessment

Overall, the experience was really good but HR may take quite a while to get back to you - so don't worry about that.

Interview Questions

• Why BHP?
      What issues may arise from FIFO for you personally?   Answer Question