BHP Billiton Interview Questions | Glassdoor

BHP Billiton Interview Questions

Updated Aug 13, 2017

2.9

HSE Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at BHP Billiton in October 2013.

Interview

Phone interview followed by one on one interview with Human Resources then moved to panel interview by senior managers including hiring manager followed by interview with future business managers I would work with or support.

Interview Questions

• Why I left previous company, back ground , skill set and perceived value I could bring to the organization.   Answer Question

Negotiation

They were very firm on salary - small room for negotiation but not much

Corporate Security/Investigations Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I interviewed at BHP Billiton (Houston, TX) in August 2013.

Interview

Received a telephone call stating that they were with BHP Billiton in Houston Texas and that they didn't want to waste my time or theirs so she wanted to ask me a question. She asked my current salary. I gave her my current salary but made it clear that I would be willing to accept less if given the opportunity as my main interest was to work for a quality company like BHP. I later received an email stating that they decided not to consider me. No reason given although I was more than qualified for the position after working as a Special Agent/Federal Criminal Investigator for over15 years. I feel I was not considered due to my current salary and they ignored the offer to work for less.

Supply Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 7+ months. I interviewed at BHP Billiton in July 2013.

Interview

It is a very lengthy process. I applied earlier in the year and got an interview call 4 months later. It then still took another 3 months to get the offer out. However, the salary and benefits are competitive.

Interview Questions

• There were a lot of questions of personal intergrity and work ethic.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Did not need to negotiate as offer was well above expectation.

Trading/Marketing Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at BHP Billiton (Houston, TX).

Interview

Applied online. About a week later, HR calls to set up an interview with the hiring manager. Before meeting face to face, I received an email to take an assessment. I suppose I "passed it" because my interview wasn't cancelled...LOL.

Hiring manager had a script but did not read from it. Nice question mix. The conversation flowed very smoothly. One of the best interviews I have had.

A few days later, I get a call from HR telling me that I will receive some emails that contained links for more assessments. I had to do personality test, verbal reasoning, and a somewhat challenging math test. I was certain I was toast after the math test (fractions were a loooong time ago)

More days pass, I get a call from HR asking my salary requirements. I gave them my range and their response was "cool". I knew then and there, BHP is where I wanted to be. The next day, I get an email from HR with background check and drug test consent forms. Filled out the paperwork. Took the drug test the next day.

Fast forward 5 days...offer letter emailed to me!! Can you say stoked?

Verdict: Awesome interview process. All contact is with HR after the interview. Their HR department is very competent and responds quickly.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you were working on a tight deadline and priorities changed.
      How do you deal with stress?   Answer Question

Negotiation

I decided not to negotiate because I was pleased with the salary and super pleased with the benefits.

Planning Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Albuquerque, NM

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at BHP Billiton (Albuquerque, NM) in May 2013.

Interview

Presentation of past experience and skills. Targeted selection to provide specific behavioral examples of past performance. Five questions asked using the targeted selection process. Focus was on how I influenced, contributed and took control of a situation and demonstrated leadership. Positive experience, but preparation of past examples was essential.

Interview Questions

• Describe a complex problem or project that you completed   1 Answer

Category Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Farmington, NM

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at BHP Billiton (Farmington, NM) in May 2013.

Interview

Phone, then in person panel that included all behavioral questions. The panel was made up of 6 people. All were friendly and professional. I interviewed around 8 AM and had an offer by noon. The negotiation was quick and painless.

Interview Questions

• Describe situation as that you dealt with difficult person, a project that went sideways and how you handle stress   Answer Question

Negotiation

Straightforward

Reservoir Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at BHP Billiton.

Interview

I arrived in Houston for the interview. They gave me a tour of some updated floors as a sales pitch and then I met with a few experienced engineers. I was mostly asked questions about my past experience. I was told repeatedly they would find out if I didn't know my stuff.

Interview Questions

• Why are you still looking for a job considering your other offers?   Answer Question

Marketing Manager Interview

Interview

- Self starter
    - Good communications skills
    - Fluent in English, Spanish and Portuguese, advanced French
    experienced team Manager

Contracts Specialist Interview

Application

Interview

Interview was fine; very informal and conversation-based. The hiring process took a long time, which I now realize is the norm at BHP.

Supply Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at BHP Billiton (Houston, TX) in March 2013.

Interview

Unorganized and unprofessional. The department personnel were not prepared and asked canned questions. HR asked only questions relating to personality. Waiting for feedback was near impossible. I was surprised to get the offer because I got the call a full 3 months after the interview. It was at best an easy interview because it felt like I was managing it due to the lack of experience and professionalism of HR. The outcome was good because the department managers saw that I had the necessary skills.

Interview Questions

• How do you get along with others   1 Answer

Negotiation

I was able to negotiate.