BJ's Restaurants Interview Questions | Glassdoor

BJ's Restaurants Interview Questions

Updated Feb 11, 2017

2.3

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at BJ's Restaurants (Los Angeles, CA) in January 2017.

Interview

I applied online on the company's website. It took about a week and I got a phone call to go for an interview. The questions were basic server questions like: What do you know about BJ? How would you contribute to the restaurant? What is a good server? Describe a time you had to deal with an angry customer...

Dishwasher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Burbank, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at BJ's Restaurants (Burbank, CA) in September 2016.

Interview

First interview at different location was a two step interview first was with kitchen manager and called back for interview with general manger Both went well though the interview with the general manager seemed more casual it did seem like I would have gotten the job but I guess someone else was a better candidate as I never worked in a kitchen

Interview Questions

• Have you ever worked in a restaurant kitchen and have you ever done dishwashing at a restaurant   2 Answers

Dishwasher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Roseville, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at BJ's Restaurants (Roseville, CA) in September 2016.

Interview

Called in for interview. Member of mgmt came out from kitchen and sat me down at table and we talked for literally 3-5 minutes. She asked me what hours I was available and asked if I understood the kitchen was a hot, busy place.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Anaheim, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at BJ's Restaurants (Anaheim, CA) in July 2016.

Interview

There were 2 interviews, and both required waiting a long time before meeting with the interviewers. The first interview was very straightforward, and they seemed to have a genuine interest. The second interview consisted of the interviewer telling me they weren't hiring for seasonal positions. Not sure why they didn't just tell me that over the phone, rather than wasting my time.

Food Server Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at BJ's Restaurants (San Diego, CA) in March 2016.

Interview

It was on my laptop on line through their website after I submitted my resume. It was easy, kind of subjective and repetitive, but as long as you answered it honestly if feel as if it would weed out the type of employees they would not want to hire. I have managed in my past and I know what they are looking for. It is an initial weeding out process. It took quite a while, but it is a good way to summarize the style and type of person that is applying for the selected position.

Interview Questions

• How would I handle a difficult situation   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at BJ's Restaurants (Richmond, VA) in January 2016.

Interview

Applied on-line reviewed phone call from the GM a week later, interview next day. Three separate 20 minute interviews, the final was with the GM before I was told they weren't going to offer me a position (even though I have over 5+ years resturant experience and all customer service related jobs).

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Akron, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at BJ's Restaurants (Akron, OH) in October 2015.

Interview

Applied online and received a call the next day. Set up an interview. The interview was fairly laid back and if they like you, you will be invited back for a second interview. Otherwise, they will tell you right then and there that they cannot offer you the position.

Interview Questions

• Describe what you would do if you got triple sat.   1 Answer
    • Where do you see yourself in 5 yrs   2 Answers
    • Why do you want to work here   1 Answer
    • Why would you be a good fit for this position   1 Answer
    • Pick your favorite drink and sell it to me.   1 Answer

Service Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chino Hills, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at BJ's Restaurants (Chino Hills, CA) in August 2015.

Interview

Arrived slightly before appointed interview time. Waited almost thirty minutes after the appointment time. When it was time for the interview I should have realized I was sent down river and that I wasn't going to get the job. Instead of being interviewed by a manager, I was interviewed by the head of the kitchen.
    As we sat at a table in the corner of the restaurant he fumbled through the papers that were probably printed out thirty seconds before he gathered me from waiting in the front. He asked me about my previous employment and what those jobs entailed. I told of recent ones and spoke of ones that were listed on my resume that I attached via their internet application process, but were not listed on their truncated list for their internet application that only allows users to put three previous places that they worked. When I spoke of the one that was on the resume and not their short list a momentary look of bewilderment flashed on his face and he shuffled through the papers again.With that reaction I can only guess that resume does not get seen by those doing the interview and it almost pointless to upload one. I recommend that you bring one to the interview, because they will only have the listing of the jobs you provided on their shortsighted internet application.
    After a few more questions about the other jobs that I had held he decided to be more straightforward and told me that I wasn't going to get the job and partly it had to do with not having a food handlers card, which seems more like a deflection because the law requires someone to get one within 30 days of being hired and it costs 10 to 20 dollars to take a class and tests to get a card.

My advice is make sure you are interviewed by a manager, and bring a detailed resume to the interview.

Interview Questions

• Describe your experience at your other jobs, what you did.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Reno, NV

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at BJ's Restaurants (Reno, NV) in July 2015.

Interview

My first interview went really well. He even called my current boss and then invited me back for a second interview. The first interview went well. He asked me basic questions and explained the job better. The second interview was completely different from the first. They lost my application, so I had to answer the same questions as I did from the first interview. Then the guy I was interviewing with said he was going to get me set up with somebody else. 15 minutes later, a different guy came back with my application (guess they found it). He asked me the same questions the first guy asked me. He started interviewing me for a server which is not what my first interview was for. In the end, he said he couldn't offer me a job and that he has other interviews. I think I might still have a chance to get it (if i understood him correctly; he wasn't very clear), but I don't want it anymore because of how different my interview experiences were. All in all, the first interview was great. It was relaxed and easy. The second interview was a disaster. I was getting anxious because of the time they made me wait. I was no longer nervous about the interview; instead I was getting a little angry that they were unorganized and seemed to know nothing about my first interview (which they had no idea I had). I don't think I tried very hard on the questions the second guy asked me because I was annoyed at how hectic this interview was; plus I was already on the fence about quitting my current job for BJ's. It's my fault I didn't get it, but I still would have liked to have been interviewed for the same job both times. Like I said, it was a completely different experience and I was super uncomfortable in the second one.

Interview Questions

• 1st interview: Why i wanted to work there? Give an example of a time where I went above and beyond for a customer.

2nd interview: My experience, why I wanted to work there (asked twice by both men), what my goals were for the company, my availability, give an example of how I handle rude customers.
      Answer Question

Host/Hostess Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at BJ's Restaurants.

Interview

I never went through the interview process. I applied online. You fill out an application and from there you are required to do a test that determines your skills at numbers and critical thinking. After that the second portion is all about you - no right or wrong answers. It takes about 10 minutes or longer to do depending on how you want to answer so make sure you have time on your hands to complete everything.