BMC Software Interview Questions | Glassdoor

BMC Software Interview Questions

Updated May 11, 2017

Business Development Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cary, NC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at BMC Software (Cary, NC).

Interview

Best idea is to contact someone already in the company, preferably your field. Reach out to us! 1st call is from internal recruiter, then usually single mgmt call, then a case study of some type, then on-site mtg/s. Be smart and understand the backgrounds and social side of those you interview with

Interview Questions

Negotiation

very small negotiation window, better to blow out your quota

Senior Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at BMC Software (San Jose, CA) in December 2015.

Interview

Applied thru linkedin and got a call from recruiter to discuss the opening and my experience. Set up a call with the manager of the hiring team. Discussed further about the role and my experience and set up a call for a tech screen and sent an invite for a coding exercise from hackerrank. Phone interview went well, but the person interviewing seemed very dis-interested in the conversation and asked generic questions. Ended the call by saying 'we develop this good product which is used by several clients to do several things'. Got an automated reply a few days later saying they were not moving ahead with this. Recruiter and the Manager seemed enthusiastic and welcoming tho.

Interview Questions

• 1. How do you find duplicates in an array of objects?
      2. How does a hashmap work internally?
      3. Hash code/equals relation/function?
      Answer Question

MBA Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at BMC Software (Houston, TX) in December 2015.

Interview

Straight forward, very easy. Not a formal interview process. Just with the direct manager and his manager and some team members. .............

Java Software Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at BMC Software (San Jose, CA).

Interview

Recruiter emailed me to set up onsite interview with 4 interviewers and 3 hours. Three interviewers were nice but one was extremely disrespectful and unfriendly. He looked at his mobile phone during the interview while I talked, did not make eye contact, criticized me, and immediately tried to point out any possible mistakes in a answer I would give him. He had a complex and looked very nervous when he thought he pointed out a mistake but was proved wrong. Interview was basic but the disrespectful interviewer made me learn that it is not a friendly working environment. Also job description did not include preferences of interviewers. It had some qualifications, but in the interview they ask if you are familiar with other topics like networking and really prefer that you have taken those other classes so make sure that you ask the recruiter additional desired skills otherwise they just select applicants who know the most about various different areas, not just what is on the job description. They do not seem like they want to do training, they want someone who knows everything already.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at BMC Software.

Interview

Pretty quick process. Had one phone interview with the HR department followed by two phone interviews with the managers. I was then brought on site for a face to face interview with the management staff, as well as a peer interview.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at BMC Software in January 2015.

Interview

I had 6 interviews total. One with each manager, recruiter, in-person, and a phone case study. It was a difficult process and you have to study the products bmc offers very well. 1.5 months to complete the interview process and receive an offer.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation, they said the pay was X amount of dollars in the initial call

Staff Platform Systems Administrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at BMC Software (Austin, TX) in January 2015.

Interview

Interview started with a phone screen with hiring manager and his direct report, which was pretty awkward at best. it was difficult to tell how was asking questions at times, and the interaction of the two interviewers was contradictory at times, almost akin to good cop/bad cop routine. Typical phone screens I've had with other employers are one on one with just a hiring manager, typically followed up by an on-site interview if the employer feels it is worth the time to bring the candidate in.

The first phone interview was followed up about a week later with two more additional phone interviewers that were one on one with higher management. (three total phone interviews within about two weeks)

Contact to this employer was via referral of employee who had provided info on job months before it was posted. A resume was provided to hiring manager months before the job was posted also. Initial hiring manager feedback was very positive, over several weeks, and right before on site interview, it was cancelled abruptly, with no explanation. HR contact was also hard to reach, and seemed aloof at times in follow-up, (sent emails and no phone contact), but eventually provided feedback that job was filled.

Learned later thru employee referral that the job was filled internally. No explanation provided as to why the feedback changed from very positive to "we cancelled your on-site interview, we already talked to you", basically, have a nice day, don't call us, we won't call you.

I have worked at many companies and was a hiring manager myself for many years, and this has to be the worst interview experience I've ever come across from a major employer. Avoid this company, or at least expect a very unusual interview experience to say the least.

Advice to company: Treat your interviewees with respect and some level of dignity and don't lead them on for weeks and then provide no explanation as to why you were dumped.

Interview Questions

• Specific questions centered around knowledge of hardware products that would be managed and configured as well as software skills.   Answer Question

Lead Product Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at BMC Software (San Jose, CA) in January 2015.

Interview

A recruiter contacted me after looking at my resume on Linkedin. We exchanged emails and then I got sent a list of technical questions, most of which were design questions and how I solved a technical problem. The questions were also asking on my knowledge of concurrency. Then I got on the phone with one of their Lead developer. We chat about what I do at my current job and about various technologies. Then he asks about my knowledge on multi threaded programming and concurrency. After around 20 minutes I am asked a question "What feature did you develop from scratch at your current job?" I reply with a litany and he then says "But these are just small additions to existing features". We go back and forth with variations of the same exchange and it gets to a point where I tell him, "In enterprise software, it is very rare that one builds a brand new feature from scratch which includes a complete framework. Only startups have such privileges". At that point I thought no more interviews.

I was surprised pleasantly when the recruiter calls me next day to schedule on-site. The onsite interview consisted of meeting with three people 1:1, two of them architects. With both we go over design challenges and questions on some of the architecture of my past projects. The third person then goes about asking questions around Garbage Collection (its basics like generational), then how to implement hashmaps/tables. Most of these questions are typically geared to college students and almost none of the questions seemed relevant to the job on hand. It is unclear how the internals of java data structures will be used in day-to-day coding. Internals of data structures are used to design, but the level of questioning seemed a bit condescending and incredulous on my display of the lack of knowledge.
    Seemed as if they wanted someone to write for loops and sorting (quicksort/merge sort) instead of a lead who can write real code using existing libraries and best design practices.

Two reasons why I gave a negative on the interview (has nothing to do with the result)
    1. Condescending nature of couple of interviewers
    2. Most of the interviewers had not even read my resume.

Interview Questions

• Explain garbage collection and generational garbage collection   Answer Question

Lead Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at BMC Software (Houston, TX) in January 2015.

Interview

Very simple process almost completely driven by humans - no automated systems to deal with. Corporate recruiter kept the ball moving and ensured I knew next steps and got feedback very timely. There was one phone interview followed by an on-site interview where I met with 3 different people, including 1 executive. All were very personable, non-intimidating interviews that prodded into my background, philosophies, and personality.

Interview Questions

• Have you ever had a "run-in" with a colleague - what happened and what did you do about it?   1 Answer

Senior Commissions Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at BMC Software (Houston, TX) in January 2015.

Interview

I the interview was very brief. 1st call was a recruiter with a couple of questions about my background and job description. The 2nd interview was with the employer. There were a few situational questions. I received the offer the same day as the interview.

Interview Questions

• They asked about my technical skills   1 Answer