BMW of North America Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at BMW of North America

2.7

Corporate Strategy Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Woodcliff Lake, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at BMW of North America (Woodcliff Lake, NJ) in May 2016.

Interview

Applied through the BMW career site, and then heard back from the intern coordinator about a month later. It was surprising because I applied for two other positions that I had thought I would have a higher chance of landing.

According to the e-mail, I was supposed to do phone interview with two people. However, I only interviewed with one person. It was supposed to be 15 minutes, but we talked for 20 minutes. The guy seemed very busy though because he told me that he had to wrap it up unfortunately.

He really liked it when I told him about my passion for cars since I was very little (like my grandpa used to buy me little cars, and I still have them today). But now I think about it, I may have made a mistake by just answering his questions afterwards, but not trying to really have a conversation.

I also sent them a BMW PowerPoint presentation I had done at school, and sent it to the intern coordinator. She shared it with the hiring manager also, and according to her, they were both really impressed by it. I am not sure if they really meant it since I did not get the offer.

However, it was overall a pleasant experience because the hiring manager did provide a comfortable vibe during the phone interview. I also took this as a lesson, and then applied what I could have done better for the other interview later on, and got accepted for that one.

After all, I did compete against people who were graduates, and also attending grad school. I was only a junior at college, with some experience, but not too impressive. I would still like to work at BMW someday.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself / Tell me about your work experience, starting from the top of the resume.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Came as surprise with no email in advance
    with questions like:
    Describe the process you use for writing a piece of code, from requirements to delivery.
    What is the difference between re-engineering and reverse engineering?
    What type of language do you prefer for writing complex algorithms?
    How do you design scalable applications?

Interview Questions

• How to build group of test cases.
      Whene to build test case fornew code.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at BMW of North America (Chicago, IL) in April 2016.

Interview

Had with a nice interaction with some engineers at the university career fair.
    Received an email with a coding test a month later.
    Within a week got a call for an onsite interview. There were two back to back interviews. One with a couple of engineers and then with the manager. Got the offer 3 days later.

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at BMW of North America (Chicago, IL) in January 2017.

Interview

I gave the recruiters my resumes during the school career fair, then they suggested me to attend to the info sessions. During the info sessions we talked a lot about the work culture and work experience at BMW. Then later that night, one of the recruiter called me and asked me to schedule an interview next morning. All those recruiter are really nice and friendly and I am waiting for their response.

Interview Questions

• First part is basic OOP design? What you gonna do with this project? What are the classes or data structures you need?
      Second part is debug a small block of codes.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at BMW of North America in April 2016.

Interview

1. got a phone call from hr. a senior guy sounds nice
    2. assessment that needs to be finish within 1 hour, easy but with a complicated online system
    3. another phone call with tech. phone screen for some coding questions
    4. on site half day no food back to back interviews. 5 interviews one or two interviewer each

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at BMW of North America (Chicago, IL) in January 2016.

Interview

There was a screening interview (campus recruiting event) followed by an onsite interview comprising of 4 rounds of interviews: one HR and others technical. Ranging from data structures, algorithms to system design.

Interview Questions

• I was asked to detect common ancestor of two nodes in a tree, and system design I would go for, if i were designing a data collecting car.   Answer Question

Software Engineer I Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at BMW of North America.

Interview

1.Started off with a phone interview with the technical manager who asked me about my background and my familiarity with certain technologies. There was an emphasis on agile development.

2. After initial phone conversation, I was given a simple homework assignment to do within 24 hours involving 2 coding tasks and answering 3 simple technical questions.

3. After that, I had another phone interview, except this was screen sharing technical interview. We shared a screen and I was asked broad questions about knowledge of OO programming i.e what is a virtual function, explain polymorphism, write code demonstrating polymorphism. I was asked to write a class that would serve as a vector. I was asked to write code to remove some given node within a linked list. I was asked to write code to traverse a BST. Lastly, I was asked a simple database question. This session went well and I moved on to the final round.

4. The last round was an in-person 4 hour interview onsite. Met with 4 groups of people, for a total of 4 sessions. First, spoke with manager who just got to know me. This went really well. The second session was technical with software engineers (they seemed to be senior engineers). I was asked questions: write code to find n raised to the m. I had to write it in both recursion and iteration. After doing this, I was asked to pros and cons to each method. Also, they wanted it optimized, which I thought of at last moment (for powers of two, you can used the shift operator). I was asked some more questions about memory stuff. Then they asked me about little and big endian which I forgot about. They wanted me to build a method to change a value from little endian to big endian which I struggled on so much so I think didn't get me the job. The last question they asked was to write bst traversal, and do in different orders.

3rd session was with software engineers (i think newer engineers) which i was to design a card game and implement the class. I wrote some UML on the board and then coded it. Also write a shuffle method.

4th session was with product owner and architect. I had present from an engineering standpoint a design for a keurig coffee maker notification system.

After all this, I was told about the benefits and whatnot.
    I left and was emailed the following week I wouldn't receive an offer.

Interview Questions

• traverse bst?
      remove node within LList?
      implement a vector class?
      write method to change value from little endian to big endian?
      write method to take m raised to the n (optimal)?
      Design a keurig from an engineering approach?   1 Answer

Client Advisor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at BMW of North America (Baltimore, MD) in August 2010.

Interview

I was initially contacted after posting my resume on-line; I was moving to the area so I requested a phone interview as opposed to in-person at first. They loved the fact that I sounded excited and welcoming over the phone since a large part of the industry is getting clients in the door.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about our BMW Product Line?   1 Answer

Negotiation

The pay plan was pre-set, but I negotiated my paid training, which turned out nicely. Make sure their pay plan is something that allows you maximum commission options if you do not have salary.

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Woodcliff Lake, NJ

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at BMW of North America (Woodcliff Lake, NJ) in April 2017.

Interview

The interview process was smooth and the actual interview was laid back. I was actually able to get to know my potential manager.

The only delay in the process was waiting on the background check.

Interview Questions

• There were no difficult or unexpected questions. It was a typical interview.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at BMW of North America (New York, NY) in December 2017.

Interview

2 weeks after applied online, got a phone call from HR to schedule interview time with hiring manager. I have completed only the phone interview so far. No any feedback after interview.