BMW of North America Interview Questions | Glassdoor

BMW of North America Interview Questions

Updated May 16, 2017

2.8

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at BMW of North America (Chicago, IL) in January 2017.

Interview

I gave the recruiters my resumes during the school career fair, then they suggested me to attend to the info sessions. During the info sessions we talked a lot about the work culture and work experience at BMW. Then later that night, one of the recruiter called me and asked me to schedule an interview next morning. All those recruiter are really nice and friendly and I am waiting for their response.

Interview Questions

• First part is basic OOP design? What you gonna do with this project? What are the classes or data structures you need?
      Second part is debug a small block of codes.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Mobile Developer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at BMW of North America.

Interview

Contacted by a recruiter and asked to make a sample application that fetched a JSON payload from an Azure web server. The recruiter also scoffed at my salary requirements, which are not at all out of line with what I was paid at my last 2 gigs. That was my first red flag. They seemed very pleased with the work I did and asked to do a technical phone screen and online whiteboard session.

I thought, great, a chance to show my skills. Nope. The interviewer lacked all personal skills and was very robotic. My greeting was barely returned at the start of the conversation. Second red flag. I was asked to sort arrays and wasn't allowed to use any of the built-in SDK API's. Third red flag. This is something that never needs to be done in mobile development and seems like they're looking for senior-level, fresh out of college graduates. Good luck. I came up with a solution that worked, but it clearly wasn't what the interviewer was expecting. I looked up this person and found that they graduated 2 years ago. Figures.

Corporate Strategy Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Woodcliff Lake, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at BMW of North America (Woodcliff Lake, NJ) in May 2016.

Interview

Applied through the BMW career site, and then heard back from the intern coordinator about a month later. It was surprising because I applied for two other positions that I had thought I would have a higher chance of landing.

According to the e-mail, I was supposed to do phone interview with two people. However, I only interviewed with one person. It was supposed to be 15 minutes, but we talked for 20 minutes. The guy seemed very busy though because he told me that he had to wrap it up unfortunately.

He really liked it when I told him about my passion for cars since I was very little (like my grandpa used to buy me little cars, and I still have them today). But now I think about it, I may have made a mistake by just answering his questions afterwards, but not trying to really have a conversation.

I also sent them a BMW PowerPoint presentation I had done at school, and sent it to the intern coordinator. She shared it with the hiring manager also, and according to her, they were both really impressed by it. I am not sure if they really meant it since I did not get the offer.

However, it was overall a pleasant experience because the hiring manager did provide a comfortable vibe during the phone interview. I also took this as a lesson, and then applied what I could have done better for the other interview later on, and got accepted for that one.

After all, I did compete against people who were graduates, and also attending grad school. I was only a junior at college, with some experience, but not too impressive. I would still like to work at BMW someday.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself / Tell me about your work experience, starting from the top of the resume.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at BMW of North America (Chicago, IL) in May 2016.

Interview

The initial round was coding where every selected student is asked to program a given standard question. I have completed only the coding round so far. Then there is going to be a set of rounds including phone interview and the onsite interview.

Interview Questions

• It was a DBMS question. I cannot give further details.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at BMW of North America (Chicago, IL) in April 2016.

Interview

Had with a nice interaction with some engineers at the university career fair.
    Received an email with a coding test a month later.
    Within a week got a call for an onsite interview. There were two back to back interviews. One with a couple of engineers and then with the manager. Got the offer 3 days later.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at BMW of North America in April 2016.

Interview

1. got a phone call from hr. a senior guy sounds nice
    2. assessment that needs to be finish within 1 hour, easy but with a complicated online system
    3. another phone call with tech. phone screen for some coding questions
    4. on site half day no food back to back interviews. 5 interviews one or two interviewer each

Process Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 7+ weeks. I interviewed at BMW of North America in March 2016.

Interview

Interview was a Friday evening. A few days prior had a phone screen with HRBP. She explained the job and that the following week final interviews would occur. Went to the in person interview on Friday and Interviewers called me a couple hours prior and explained would be 30 minutes late. When they arrived the guy had to fumble through his bag to find his access card so we could go to the office. I was told by both interviewers I would hear back from HR mon/tues - didn't happen so I had to follow up myself. At that point HRBP responded to my email explaining they had selected another candidate. Not getting selected is one thing, but disappointed by lack of communication and not given accurate information about the hiring process, I.e., being told final interviews would occur, though they explain someone was chosen on Monday.

Interview Questions

• Talk about some challenges you will face in handling vehicle damage   Answer Question

Mobile Architect Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Woodcliff Lake, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at BMW of North America (Woodcliff Lake, NJ) in March 2016.

Interview

Lengthy and convoluted, took a long time for them to get back to me with any news of whether they could offer me the position or not. The interviewer reached out to me via email to schedule a phone interview and then an in person one eventually. The in person interview went smoothly, with the interviewer sending a greeter to meet me in the lobby of the building. Finding the building was difficult, given the size and breadth of the candidate but the interview itself was straight forward and the interviewer promised to get back to me soon with their final word. Unfortunately, it took much longer and many delays to get my final word.

Android/IOS Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at BMW of North America (Chicago, IL) in January 2016.

Interview

1. Call from recruiter talk about basic job description. My interest and sent a coding problem.
    2. I did the coding problem. Then got a call for phone screen. During this round, I was suppose to code 3 problems as asked by the interviewer. I think I was able to all the three code. But after a couple of hours I got a reject email.

Interview Questions

• Merge two sorted arrays, design array list and string count   Answer Question

Android Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ann Arbor, MI

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at BMW of North America (Ann Arbor, MI) in January 2016.

Interview

I interviewed them during the campus career fair. They first go through my resume and let me talked about the experiences on my resume. Then they asked some technical questions according to the resume. A white board programming problem is at the end. You could choose any language you prefer and the programming problem is pretty easy and standard.