BNSF Railway Conductor Interview Questions | Glassdoor

BNSF Railway Conductor Interview Questions

Updated Sep 7, 2016

2.7

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Worth, TX

Application

The process took a week. I interviewed at BNSF Railway (Fort Worth, TX) in March 2015.

Interview

interview process was pretty good; maybe too many people on the panel board. it is always hard to really focus on one person talking and getting ready to listen to someone else. maybe a 2 person panel will be sufficient enough

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for BNSF Railway

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minot, ND

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at BNSF Railway (Minot, ND).

Interview

Online app, and assessment test then just a waiting game. If you really do want into the industry be willing to relocate its your best change to get the upper hand! Minot, ND needs people bad. Went to a hiring session for 45 positions and only eight people showed up. One guy was two hours late, missed the whole thing and they still hired him. So if you don't mind a move and putting time in the trenches in nowhere land all you gotta do is show up and you got the job. Everyone got an offer!

Interview Questions

• To be truthful at this location they know how bad they need folks and the interviewers weren't even taking the whole this serious.   Answer Question

I accepted another Rail job in a better location.

Conductor Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at BNSF Railway.

Interview

Applied online. Basic orientation and interview questions. Safety is key. Take notes during the brief. Dress business casual. Plan for the interview process to take all day. Individual interviews last 20 to 30 minutes.

Interview Questions

• Very basic questions, some pertain to information given during the orientation.   Answer Question

Negotiation

no negotiation

Anonymous Employee in Flagstaff, AZ

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at BNSF Railway (Flagstaff, AZ) in October 2014.

Interview

went to 3 interview process terribly long and they usually hire 10 of 100. I always wanted this job now I wish I never left where I was due the crazy stress ive put on myself and worst my family.

Interview Questions

• Why do you feel the railroad is a good fit for you?   1 Answer

Negotiation

There was no negotiation

Anonymous Employee in Barstow, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at BNSF Railway (Barstow, CA) in August 2014.

Interview

Safety and be honest. Dress nice. I interviewed with over 60 applicants that passed the extensive prescreening for 11 positions. It takes a long time but they work fast. You will take a drug test so if you can't pass don't even apply. It was a good process I believe overall and weeds out a lot of people that would have a problem passing the very demanding school.

Interview Questions

• Have you ever had a problem with a co-worker and how did you deal with it?   Answer Question

Negotiation

The pay is set up by the union and trust me they do a good job

Anonymous Employee in Aberdeen, SD

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at BNSF Railway (Aberdeen, SD) in February 2014.

Interview

I got a email 4 days before the interview I had to be in South Dakota ( I was in California) for a interview and I could not change the date or location.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at BNSF Railway (Denver, CO) in July 2013.

Interview

The hiring process moved fast and efficiently as I received my first step in the process about a week after applying. It consisted of taking a test that consisted of technical and reading comprehension questions. It took only two or three days to receive notice that I was successful and would be contacted with a hiring session date which only took another week. During the interview an hour was devoted to discussing the company lifestyle and that of a conductor as well as company benefits and questions were answered. After that another reading comprehension test as administered for a total of 90 questions. When the results were posted those who passed were schedule for an interview later that afternoon and we went to the next step which was collection of a hair sample for drug testing should we be offered a position. The interview was brief was a heavy focus on safety and reliability as an employee due to the hazardous nature of the railroad.

Interview Questions

• The most difficult question for me was how I handle conflict with a coworker or supervisor just because I struggle with human relations and typically I don't know how to best answer that type of question.   Answer Question

Conductor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at BNSF Railway in May 2013.

Interview

group interview drug screening and one on one interview. emailed a few weeks later with conditional offer. accepted the offer. received an email a few weeks later with information on a physical test to take. took test. few months later they emailed the class start date. not a quick process!

Interview Questions

• Are all accidents avoidable?   1 Answer

Conductor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at BNSF Railway in March 2012.

Interview

very difficult process. took a test to qualify for interview. if you pass you get interview. take a hair drug screen before interview then panel interviewed. Interviewis mainly safety related questions and how you deal with being outside in elements. Preach safety safety safety and you should be fine as long as you aren't completely incompetent.

Interview Questions

• Name a time you had a disagreement with a manager how did you handle it.   Answer Question

Negotiation

had to jump through a ton of hoops. thorough background check that takes weeks to month. Very thorough physical and strength test. Sleep apnea test on your own dollar if bmi is over 32.

Anonymous Employee in San Bernardino, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at BNSF Railway (San Bernardino, CA) in April 2009.

Interview

Begin online, Submit Online Application for listed available positions as advertised. www.bnsf.com. You will receive an email regarding the application upon receipt in approximately a month. then followed by a written letter inviting you to an in person group interview and orientation. Soon after passing the in person group interview you will receive a written offer letter upon being selected for the available position.

Interview Questions

• Safety oriented industry demands dedication. What routines do you use throughout the day that would demonstrate your safe behaviors?   1 Answer

Negotiation

we would like to welcome you to our team if you accept we will send the letter of agreement for your review and acceptance to sign and return. UNION ESTABLISHED RATES FOR TRAINING, AND WORK WITHIN THE CRAFTS GOVERNED BY UNION CONTRACTS.