BNSF Railway Consulting Systems Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at BNSF Railway

1 Interview Review

Consulting Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Fort Worth, TX

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at BNSF Railway (Fort Worth, TX).

Interview

The employment web site did not work well. I submitted my resume several times but it never got through. I finally got in touch with a recruiter. A recruiter or personal contact is the best way to get in. the interview was two phase. There was a telephone panel interview with the hiring manager and the team. Following that there was a face to face interview with the hiring manager and director. The phone interview was a technical interview but was mainly about my work experience. I had to describe my past experience and how it would be relevant to the position. The second interview was less formal. It was mainly just so they could "size me up" to see if I were a good personality fit. They like to do contract to hire. I started as a contractor before I became an employee. Be aware that BNSF hires many contractors, especially in IT. If you are interviewing for a contract position, do not expect it to become a permanent position. Contract slots are contract slots and do not become perm just because you do outstanding job. I now people that have been contractors for 15+ years with no chance of ever being perm.

Interview Questions

• I don't remember specifically, that was almost 4 years ago.   1 Answer

Negotiation

It was a contract to hire initially. I started as a contractor where the hourly rate was fixed. There were no real negotiations. When they asked me to become an employee, They simply asked me how much I wanted to start. I told them, Then they came back and said it was a little over what the salary band would pay. It was not much off, about 5K/yr. They counter offered with an extra weeks paid vacation. I accepted this offer.