BNSF Railway Railroad Conductor Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Aug 18, 2017

2.6

20 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Railroad Conductor Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at BNSF Railway in August 2017.

Interview

I applied at BNSF for a position as a railroad conductor. I was sent a link to a assessment test. passed the test, few weeks went by I heard back from them inviting me to a hiring event. 75 people showed up for 10 positions . they went through the what the company is about and benefits then hey had scheduled interviews immediately after. while waiting to interview you provide a hair sample for a drug screen. I was in and out by 11 Am starting at 7 am I got a contingent offer 2 days later flowing the interview
I did not have a phone interview or a phone call. I am currently undergoing background check and medical exam. BNSF is quick on the process after accepting offer.

Other Interview Reviews for BNSF Railway

Railroad Conductor Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at BNSF Railway.

Interview

Apply online and be invited to a session where you will be with lots of other candidates. Managers talk about the benefits and dangers of the job as well as what you can expect. You will give a hair sample and have an individual interview time that could be much later in the day. A contingent offer means that you will have to pass a physical endurance test and a medical exam.

Railroad Conductor Interview

Interview

They bring you into a big room with tons of people. Tell you how hard the job is and it will be tough on your family. They also try to tell you how scary the job is.

Interview Questions

• They ask about your past work history.
      Also, they drill on safety.   Answer Question

Railroad Conductor Interview

Interview

Getting hired to the railroad is always a mass hiring event. The official will present information about the company, the benefits, the work environment, aspects of the work environment, and will give notice that drug testing and background checks will be performed. You cannot get hired if you have a felony on your criminal record. Talk about how committed to safety that you are and your willingness to work on weekends, holidays, and perform on a 24 hour on-call schedule.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a task that you performed with a previous employer and how you safely performed the task.   1 Answer

Railroad Conductor Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at BNSF Railway.

Interview

Interview was quite far to travel - 2 hour drive and a VERY long wait time. More than 50 people showed up for 27 vacancies. After a briefing which pretty much said work would not be steady and union dues would be high we were told to wait in a cue for interviews. Interviewers rapidly fired very easy questions but did not make eye contact. Not a whole lot of time was afforded for responses. Following the interview I had to wait another 3 hours to get a hair sample drug test.

I did not get the position, I assume based upon the reactions I was given I was overqualified. I did not like the way prospects were treated and as a former professional in logistics I am not sure if starting over again from the bottom would have been a good match. The wait time if hired to get into the training program was over 2 months. unacceptable.

Interview Questions

• What skills or capabilities do you have to bring to this job?   Answer Question

Railroad Conductor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at BNSF Railway in January 2015.

Interview

Very long process but I think itll be worth it in the end. I have seen on this site that there are pros and cons about this company. But nothing can be any worse than where I work now. I am used to long hours and time away from home. It'll be nice to get rewarded for it now.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vancouver, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at BNSF Railway (Vancouver, WA) in October 2014.

Interview

First completed the aptitude test online. Was called for an interview at a hotel in the city where the position was. During the interview was asked questions about my ability to work outside, work different shifts, report to location within an hour and a half, work overtime. All the same questions over that were on the initial application.
    A series of behavioral based interview questions were also asked such as: how do I handle stressful situations, how do I deal with conflict with a coworker, have I ever seen someone doing on safe and how to handle it.
    Was also asked who is responsible for for my safety, and what was my criminal history.

Interview Questions

• Was able to work out of doors   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at BNSF Railway (Seattle, WA).

Interview

The hiring and interview process is not like any other hiring process I have ever seen. The company does the interviews in large groups. 40-50 people show up for interviewing. Once there they are given a test. It is a basic congnitive skills assessment test. Upon completion of that then you go to the interview. While waiting for your turn to interview you submit a hair sample for drug screeening as well as a urine sample. After giving your samples you move on to the interview. There 3-4 people that as you pre written questions. You won't know your answer for 4 or more weeks.

Interview Questions

• Not really any difficult questions.   1 Answer

Negotiation

There is no negotiation phase. You are either hired or your not.

Railroad Conductor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at BNSF Railway in August 2014.

Interview

Hiring process is very long. It took me 4 months to recieve a conditional offer from the alternate position. They took hair for the drug test and then a long line for the interviews. They were very down to earth, but it helps to bring pictures of what if any machines you operate or whatever you do. Just stay calm and get your point across.

Interview Questions

• None but easily noticeable if they are not interested in you. Just explain why you fit the position.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Oak Lawn, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at BNSF Railway (Oak Lawn, IL) in July 2014.

Interview

Met with about 2 guys and we spoke about previous experience dealing with safety. Company is real big on safety so scenario they give you, make sure your taking the safe route and no short cuts.

Interview Questions

• If a co worker had a easier way or shortcut to get the job done which compromised safety, would you take it ?   1 Answer