BNY Mellon Interview Questions | Glassdoor

BNY Mellon Interview Questions

Updated Mar 25, 2017

2.8

Analyst Interview

Interview

Phone interview followed by day of on-site meetings. Team members asked pointed questions regarding the industry of focus. Emphasis on fit and team construct. Met with nearly every team member.

Interview Questions

• Please send over a cover letter detailing your interest in the position.   Answer Question

Financial Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at BNY Mellon in December 2016.

Interview

I had a short phone call with HR as the first step in the process which went well. It was only about ten minutes at most. The next week I was contacted about an in person interview with the hiring manager and two team members.

I chose to interview at 11:00am and was told it would be about an hour. I also was told the hiring manager wanted me to prepare a PowerPoint presentation on myself.

I received a reminder from HR a few days before my interview which I thought was nice. I showed up at the BNY Mellon building at about ten till 11:00 to go through security. They called upstairs to the hiring manager for confirmation but did not get an answer. They proceeded to call each of the other people I would be interviewing with, again with no answer.

Finally, after waiting for about ten minutes or so, one of the team members called back. The security officer told me that she was told my interview was at 1:00, not 11:00. I told her I had a confirmation email that showed it at 11:00. She apologized profusely for the mix up and I thanked her but told her it wasn't her fault at all. She then printed me up an identification badge and I went up to the appropriate floor.

I was greeted by one team member at about 11:10. She escorted me to a conference room and we both had a seat. She said she had an important conference call at 11:30, so we would have to cut the interview short. She asked me to go over my background and as I was finishing up, the hiring manager walked in.

The first thing she mentioned was again how important the upcoming call was and that things needed to wrap up by 11:30. They proceeded to ask a few standard job interview questions and then they thanked me for coming and told me they had to go.

I didn't receive one apology from them for their mix up. Since there was such a time crunch I didn't even do my presentation.

I've had about twenty in person interviews so far in my career, and this was without a doubt the most unprofessional and poorly run I've ever encountered.

I wasted three hours the day of the interview between practicing my presentation and commuting downtown and back. Not to mention $9 in parking. I also wasted two to three hours the week prior between creating the presentation and practicing it.

I did however, gain valuable insight into how BNY Mellon operates, specifically this department and I will certainly be staying away from them in the future.

I told my brother about this interview, as he is in a similar field as me. He told me that he had interviewed with them about two years ago and had an equally terrible interview experience. In his case, the hiring manager wasn't even in the office the day he scheduled my brother for an interview. So instead of apologizing and rescheduling the interview, they had him interview with a summer intern who had just started the week prior.

This company does not seem to care much about prospective employees and unfortunately, they probably don't have to since they are a large, well known corporation.

Internship Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Interview

three interviewers, one basic stochastic and one stats and one behavior. Basic integration by parts, and the relation between CDF and PDF, Pretty easy. Every interviewer for half hour. But i forgot all stochastic stuff.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at BNY Mellon (New York, NY) in November 2016.

Interview

The interview was very short and not what I prepared for at all. The interviewer only asked me six or seven questions, all of which were pretty general. She had only been with the bank for five months so at the end when I asked her a few questions she really couldn't answer them. During the interview she took notes on a piece of paper with her questions listed. She barely made eye contact with me. I think she sends her notes off to someone else who makes the actual decision as it really didn't seem like she was the person making the choices.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you were working in a group and you dealt with a conflict.   Answer Question

Oracle Database Administrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at BNY Mellon (Pittsburgh, PA) in October 2016.

Interview

The interview was more of an interrogation not a conversation. I responded well to the questions but i guess the interviewer had someone already for the position. The interviewer was merely following company's policy. No sigh of proffessionalism, involement . overall Bad experience. I

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at BNY Mellon (New York, NY) in October 2016.

Interview

Interview was 30 minutes long and strictly behavioral. The interviewer only asked me 5-6 questions and that was all he had for me. He did not seem very interested to be there, barely made eye contact, and did not really put any thought into answering my questions. Never heard back from the company either...

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when someone criticized your work.   Answer Question

Summer Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at BNY Mellon in October 2016.

Interview

Applied through my university's career portal and interviewed on-campus. The interviewer was really nice and we talked for about 30 minutes. It was a behavioral interview followed by asking the interviewer questions.
    BNY Mellon never got back to me about the results, even after I sent a follow-up email. I thought it was a little unprofessional of them to just never get back to me, even if the result was a decline.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at BNY Mellon (Austin, TX) in September 2016.

Interview

A behavioral interview at a career fair. I was emailed after submitting my resume to the career fair's database. The recruiter asked me to schedule an interview on site and I was given the link to a hackerrank question.

Interview Questions

• What was one experience in school or professionally where you made a mistake and how did you handle it?   Answer Question

Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at BNY Mellon (Chicago, IL).

Interview

I spoke with a recruiter who set up an immediate phone interview with the hiring manager, the hirin manager and I spoke for roughly 30 minutes and stated when he was in town next (this was a remote position) that he would like to interview me and the recruiter would set up a date/time. 2 weeks passed and I had not heard regarding this interview so I reached out to the recruiter who never replied, a few weeks after that the recruiter reached back out to set up the in person interview. I took time off of work and went in a week later to meet with the hiring manager, the interview was more like a conversation than an interview. I thought it had went well and he stated the next step would be to bring the top candidate back in for another interview with his 3 representatives who I would be working with. again two weeks passed and no response, I emailed the recruiter and never heard back. In my opinion it is very unprofessional for the no follow up after someone takes time off work to interview and the long gaps between steps. I would think twice before applying again.

Entry Level Fund Accountant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in King of Prussia, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at BNY Mellon (King of Prussia, PA) in September 2016.

Interview

Nothing out of the ordinary. Was called by HR about 5 days after I applied to set up an in person interview at their King of Prussia office 1 week later. The interview itself was pretty much just two hiring managers describing the job to me and what it would entail on a daily/weekly basis. They were really laid back and nice people.