BNY Mellon Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Aug 22, 2017

2.6

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at BNY Mellon (New York, NY).

Interview

Very straightforward. I applied and within a few weeks i was contacted by someone in their recruiting department. Everyone was very friendly, and it seemed like a very good place to work.

Interview Questions

• Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
      What are your future career goals?   Answer Question

Sales Associate I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Century City, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at BNY Mellon (Century City, CA) in February 2017.

Interview

I Love BNY Mellon!!!

Applied on Linkedin, a recruiter reached out and set up a phone a phone screening. Did well enough by being enthusiastic with the usual blab on the phone. Recruiter decided to move me forward to interview in-person with the BNY Mellon Wealth Management Team. The date was set for a month out, which felt like a lot of dead-time had gone by until the scheduled date. I was told would meet with two wealth directors, a portfolio manager, a sales associate etc. and did not end up meeting any of the wealth directors.

Spent 6 hours at the office, sat in a room and 1:1 interviewed by many different employees (1sales associate, 2 portfolio managers, 2 investment analysts, 1 recruiter, 1 office manager) all asking different types of the same questions. I was told by the office manager I would hear back from them "soon". I guess in BNY Mellon terms soon means 10+ years to maturity. Have yet to hear back after two months. The office is pristine and it seems like it would be a good place to work for the right type of person. Most of the interviewers were all likeable fellows, felt relatively comfortable, and some were super nice. BNY Mellon expects a lot personally and professionally from the people they hire and most were very sincere and likeable, the recruiter was exceptionally sincere and down to earth.

The interview process was slightly tedious. You feel like you're speed dating (not that I've done it) but they put you in a room for several hours where the manager is essentially playing a shell game by siphoning the employees who aren't busy at the moment to spend 20 minutes of their day to either interrogate or simply chat with you.

Thanks BNY Mellon!!!

Interview Questions

• What do you know about BNY Mellon?
      Tell me about yourself
      Do you have any hobbies or play sports?
      Would you say that you are organized?
      How would you respond to a scenario if your boss throws an assignment on your desk due immediately but you are already swamped with work?   Answer Question

Internal Audit Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at BNY Mellon (New York, NY) in February 2017.

Interview

3 rounds of interviews - HR, hiring manager, department head. Happened quickly, all 3 took place within 2 weeks
    Very happy with the pace of contact from initially applying (within 24 hours was called by HR). Was brought in for in person interview within 4 business days after that phone call.
    All employees who I met were friendly, happy and helpful.
    I received a very competitive offer and eagerly accepted.

Business Process Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. I interviewed at BNY Mellon (New York, NY) in February 2017.

Interview

it was a very short in formal relatively not professional type of on the phone not in person interview and it lasted barely 15 minutes per person i spoke to 2 people

Summer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Waltham, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at BNY Mellon (Waltham, MA).

Interview

The first interview was very simple and the typical interview. It was a one on one behavioral interview and was broken up into 3-4 questions. The interviewer was very friendly and nice.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at BNY Mellon (New York, NY) in January 2017.

Interview

just very basic questions. previous experiences, why you want to work for them, coding question. Question asked: given a string and a number then show all permutations of the string with that size in length

Vice President Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. I interviewed at BNY Mellon (New York, NY) in January 2017.

Interview

first phone call with two interviewers, asking some general knowledge questions. Some questions asking your current job responsibilities. then go to onsite interview by a team lead, a senior member and a senior manager.

Financial Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at BNY Mellon in December 2016.

Interview

I had a short phone call with HR as the first step in the process which went well. It was only about ten minutes at most. The next week I was contacted about an in person interview with the hiring manager and two team members.

I chose to interview at 11:00am and was told it would be about an hour. I also was told the hiring manager wanted me to prepare a PowerPoint presentation on myself.

I received a reminder from HR a few days before my interview which I thought was nice. I showed up at the BNY Mellon building at about ten till 11:00 to go through security. They called upstairs to the hiring manager for confirmation but did not get an answer. They proceeded to call each of the other people I would be interviewing with, again with no answer.

Finally, after waiting for about ten minutes or so, one of the team members called back. The security officer told me that she was told my interview was at 1:00, not 11:00. I told her I had a confirmation email that showed it at 11:00. She apologized profusely for the mix up and I thanked her but told her it wasn't her fault at all. She then printed me up an identification badge and I went up to the appropriate floor.

I was greeted by one team member at about 11:10. She escorted me to a conference room and we both had a seat. She said she had an important conference call at 11:30, so we would have to cut the interview short. She asked me to go over my background and as I was finishing up, the hiring manager walked in.

The first thing she mentioned was again how important the upcoming call was and that things needed to wrap up by 11:30. They proceeded to ask a few standard job interview questions and then they thanked me for coming and told me they had to go.

I didn't receive one apology from them for their mix up. Since there was such a time crunch I didn't even do my presentation.

I've had about twenty in person interviews so far in my career, and this was without a doubt the most unprofessional and poorly run I've ever encountered.

I wasted three hours the day of the interview between practicing my presentation and commuting downtown and back. Not to mention $9 in parking. I also wasted two to three hours the week prior between creating the presentation and practicing it.

I did however, gain valuable insight into how BNY Mellon operates, specifically this department and I will certainly be staying away from them in the future.

I told my brother about this interview, as he is in a similar field as me. He told me that he had interviewed with them about two years ago and had an equally terrible interview experience. In his case, the hiring manager wasn't even in the office the day he scheduled my brother for an interview. So instead of apologizing and rescheduling the interview, they had him interview with a summer intern who had just started the week prior.

This company does not seem to care much about prospective employees and unfortunately, they probably don't have to since they are a large, well known corporation.

Internship Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Interview

three interviewers, one basic stochastic and one stats and one behavior. Basic integration by parts, and the relation between CDF and PDF, Pretty easy. Every interviewer for half hour. But i forgot all stochastic stuff.

Software Dev Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jersey City, NJ

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at BNY Mellon (Jersey City, NJ) in December 2016.

Interview

online assessment with 4 parts, quite long and built on eachother. Lots of parsing input and calculations. Interview onsite in Jersey scheduled and paid for. Group Case Study and technical/behavioral interview.