BNY Mellon Marketing Specialist FMTS Interview Questions | Glassdoor

1 Interview Review

1 Candidate Interview ReviewBack to all Interviews

Marketing Specialist FMTS Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at BNY Mellon (New York, NY) in September 2012.

Interview

Applied through their career portal on the back end of the BNY Mellon site. Had a call from a recruiter next morning. She was very polite and easy to speak with, asked brief questions regarding former career history, skills and technical knowledge. The job was in NYC and 2 1/2 hours from where I live. The recruiter was respectful of the commute commitment and scheduled an interview for the following week.

Their NYC offices are the A-typical cube farm, as expected - but the building itself and surrounding amenities would be reason enough for sucking up the dread of possibly being confined to a 2x2 space.

The position was a newly created role for the FMTS department to alleviate some of the monotonous tasks involved in their marketing life cycle that were formerly bottle necking other projects from moving forward. The initial interview was scheduled to be with 4 people. One of the interviewers held an administrative position. Puzzled? I was too. She did not end up attending the interview. Only 2 of the 4 were in-person and a third person was listening over conference call. Questions were as expected, going over each bullet point on my resume. They asked "whats your favorite part about marketing?" "whats your least favorite part about marketing?". For the latter, I mentioned something about red-tape, which puts a damper on the creative process. They chuckled and informed me that there was an overabundance of compliance and regulations standards within the company that inhibits many of the marketing processes. Ok, thanks? "Do you have any questions?" in which case I asked about 3-5 relevant questions. Interview ended after about an hour and I followed up via email thanking them for their time.

Was contacted by the recruiter next day to go on a follow up interview. Need I mind you, 2 1/2 hour commute EACH way. Ok, sure, great, I'm excited. Second interview consisted of two people. One of the two people happened to be the person on conference call during the first interview, the other was a new person - senior management. They asked the SAME EXACT questions as the first interview. It was like the Twilight Zone. I thought they would be requesting more detail, ask for a writing sample, references, no. Same. Exact. Questions. At the end: "Do you have any questions?" from the woman who was on the conference call from the first interview. What do you do? Repeat questions that she's already heard? I said politely that I had been corresponding over email with one of the people in the 1st interview regarding any questions. The interviewer snapped back at me by saying "Well, we ask if you have questions so we can see if this is a good fit... for the both of us!". Who gets scolded in an interview? Apparently, I did. I felt very unwelcomed and unwanted.

Regardless, I left the city, got home and wrote another follow up. Didn't hear anything for a few days, emailed the recruiter - she emailed back a very short and unprofessional email saying "they went for another candidate". The process started out very professional, and ended messy. This is very likely department specific, and I don't think it reflects on BNY Mellon as a whole.

Interview Questions

• Do you have any questions, asked 3 times total...   1 Answer