BP Geophysicist Interview Questions | Glassdoor

BP Geophysicist Interview Questions

3.4

7 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at BP (Houston, TX).

Interview

The people who interviewed me are very friendly. They asked behavioral questions as well as some technical questions. They sometimes began to keep notes as you were answering them --- don't need to worry if they do that.

Interview Questions

• how did you handle a conflict in the past?   Answer Question
  • explain the methodology/ technical details in one project that I worked on   Answer Question
  • What is the advantage using your method compared with other methods.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for BP

Geophysicist Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at BP in September 2013.

Interview

Interviewed at job fair, heard back within 5 weeks. Everyone very helpful along the way and I felt that they were really interested in how the experience was for me. I think it definitely helped that I was referred by one of their previous interns and his supervisor. I did have to follow up to get information on my offer.

Interview Questions

• Had to interpret seismic section, relatively simple, kind of poor quality data.   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation for internship.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at BP (Houston, TX) in November 2012.

Interview

I submitted my resume for a student Expo, go a call for interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at BP (Houston, TX) in September 2011.

Interview

After delivering the resume through the career center of our campus, I was notified the time slots to set an appointment with BP. The interview is 1:1. It can be divided into two parts. The first part was about the background (education, research area). The other part was like a test. He pulled out a seismic cross section and let me to interpret the geologic phenomenon.

Interview Questions

• where is the best place to drill a well? (show it on the seismic cross section)   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at BP (Houston, TX) in January 2011.

Interview

Applied through the AGU career center.
    First interview 1x1 at AGU, lasted about 75 mins. A regular discussion of myself/work followed by a scenario based session. Questions to expect, how did you get into your field, strengths /weaknesses, what did you do when you were in a confrontational situation. Next they offered me seismic profile line to interpret.

Second Interview - on-site in TX. 1x1 scenario based interview, first few minutes similar to the first interview, a regular discussion. The scenario based question. how would you develop a basin from exploration to production. Lasted about 60 mins.

Presentation: based on your current research. Lasted about 45 mins. Expect questions. ex. assumptions/alternate interpretations etc.

Interview Questions

• Describe a confrontational situation you under went and your solution.   1 Answer
    • Interpret a seismic profile + explain basin development from exploration to production   1 Answer

Geophysicist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at BP in March 2015.

Interview

I applied in November. After application screening they invited me to the English test exam (grammar , writing and speaking skills). After passing English test I was invited to take an Ability test and after ability test they finally invited to 1:3 interview (HR advisor, geologist an geophysicist asking technical questions). It was my first technical interview experience and I'm glad that it was with BP. Interviewers were always smiling and asked questions clearly. After getting an offer I passed medical check-up and signed the contract.

Geophysicist Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at BP in October 2011.

Interview

Interview was mixture of behavioral and technical questions. Most of the question were asked to find if the personality fits with company culture. Since they have a rigorous training program for the entry level staff they just want to check if the candidate has the basic technical competencies. That's why getting through the first interview is crucial.