BP Chemical Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

3.6

16 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Upstream Chemical Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at BP (Houston, TX) in September 2016.

Interview

I spoke to them at the career fair and got an email about a virtual email about a week later. The interview consisted of videos of various BP employees asking questions and then a 30 second period before you have to start answering the question. In my opinion, the interview was badly structured and the questions were hard to answer when there was no real person receiving them on the other side.

Graduate Chemical Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at BP in September 2016.

Interview

1st round is applying online. 2nd is webcam interview, you record responses to a set of questions. I was not invited to continue past this point. Also, you may apply to only one graduate development program at BP.

Interview Questions

• A set of standardized questions via webcam. You have 2.5 mins to respond with no facial feedback from your "interviewer".   Answer Question

Chemical Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at BP in October 2015.

Interview

Typical behavioral questions for 15 minutes then technical questions for an addition 15 minutes. They were looking for real world examples to answer each behavior question. For example, give me a situation where things didn't go as planned and how did you solve the problem. They also told me it wasn't about my answers but they mostly interested in my though process.

Interview Questions

• What needs to be considered for designing a specific heat exchanger? What are some equations you would use?   Answer Question

Chemical Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at BP.

Interview

BP has a career fair in my university. I had an on-campus interview for one and half hours. Most of them are behavior questions. After two weeks, I was invited for the on-site interview. May questions were repeated by different interviewers such as challenge, safety, and leadership. They did not ask any case study questions. The presentation is about 45 minutes and people asked about technical questions.

Chemical Engineer Co-Op Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dayton, OH

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at BP (Dayton, OH) in October 2013.

Interview

BP had an info session at my university where I could learn more about the company. At my university's career fair, I was able to submit my resume. I was called for an interview soon after the career fair. I was interviewed by two nice ladies, they made me feel at ease. Probably the easiest interview I've ever done because my interviewers were so nice. Said they would let me know in 2-3 weeks, offered me the job after 2 weeks and one day.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you had to give someone bad news and how you handled it.
      There was also a technical question about an oil pipeline constructed over a mountain range- not too hard just talked my way through it.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation, salary was way more than I expected.

BP Chemical Engineering Co-op Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dayton, OH

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at BP (Dayton, OH) in September 2013.

Interview

Applied online and at Campus Career Fair, notified by e-mail that I had been selected for an interview

Chemical Engineer Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at BP (Los Angeles, CA) in October 2012.

Interview

Applied through school recruitment website and received an on-campus internview through its pre-selection process. They were also on campus for infosessions and career fairs and I talked on a few about their experience at BP. But they were only hiring for the soon-to-be sold carson refinery.

Interview Questions

• The technical question about a long pipe with elevation differences. What needed to be consider for building the pipeline. How would temperature affect it? What would its long length (~100 miles) affect it?   Answer Question

BP Challenger; Chemical Engineering Interview

Anonymous Employee in Anchorage, AK

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at BP (Anchorage, AK) in February 2012.

Interview

Applied on the website. Got a call from HR for a phone screening 3 hours after applying online; took 30 minutes. Basically went over my resume and asked what I was interested in. Got an email a week later saying i was accepted for the first interview, which was all behavioral questions. The first interview was with two people (one hiring manager who is a senior engineer and a BP Challenger program coordinator). The first interview lasted an hour and was a phone interview. Got a call the next day saying I was accepted for a second interview which would be all technical related questions and would be flown to Anchorage, AK for it. Two weeks later I flew there. The technical interview was for 45 minutes and then 45 minutes of questions I had for them (basically a discussion). The technical interview was with two people both engineers. They try to make as you as relaxed as possible and are basically looking for your thought process. Overall found the people very friendly, and the work environment was very relaxed.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiations needed. They made an offer i could not refuse; although I really considered declining it for personal reasons. Amazing offer.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at BP (Houston, TX) in September 2010.

Interview

Basic interview questions and resume run through. Favorite class, least favorite class, study abroad experience and language abilities. Later, a behavioral run through about working in groups, ethical dilemmas. Finally, a skills-based question about fluid dynamics and building a pipeline to a reservoir at the coast.

The interviewer was very nice at first but then tried to fluster me during the skills interview. Be ready for them to be confrontational.

Interview Questions

• Take about how to build and design a pipeline from the mountains to the coast in california, including pumps, flow meters, reservoirs, etc.   1 Answer

Application

Interview

There were general questions at the beginning, such as "Tell me about yourself?" and it was quite conversational for the first 15 minutes. Then we moved on to behavioral questions and final there was a technical component where I had to analyze a chemical engineering related problem. The whole interview process lasted a while, about an hour and 10 minutes.

Interview Questions

• Give an example of a time where someone on your team was hard to deal with, and how did you handle the situation?   Answer Question