BP Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Sep 20, 2017

3.2

Completions Interview

Anonymous Employee in Norman, OK

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at BP (Norman, OK).

Interview

Just had one on campus interview. It was known as one of the hardest interviews to undergo though. The have a verbal portion, and a technical portion. The verbal was the basic STAR material. In the technical portion, they tested your technical competence by presenting problems associated with your major.

Interview Questions

• Analyze the stress on a beam and determine where is would fail.   1 Answer

Downstream Electrical Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irving, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at BP (Irving, TX) in October 2016.

Interview

It was a video interview, around 12 questions were asked, 8 or so were behavior. Interview was difficult in general, They gave me 3 minute time to answer a question and 30 seconds to prepare for each question. Questions were long with multiple parts

Interview Questions

• What do you know about this position and explain what previous experiences made you want to pursue this path   Answer Question

BP Scholarship Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at BP (London, England (UK)) in March 2015.

Interview

The interview was 1 hour long, with 2 interviewers present. First they presented themselves and the BP scholarship programme, the money and events involved. Then they asked me competency questions relating to their 5 core values: Safety, Respect, Excellence, Courage and "One Team". I had prepared a story for each of the core values, but unfortunately I was caught off guard when the question related to "Courage" did not fit the answer I had prepared in advance.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at BP (Houston, TX) in November 2015.

Interview

First, I had an virtual interview. This consisted of behavioral based questions and occurred about 7 days after I was notified I had an interview. About a week after that, I filled out an online test consisting of math, logic and reasoning questions. This all culminated with a two day, on campus interview, consisting of a dinner, two 45 minute interviews, a group case study and an individual case study.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you witnessed something unethical happen and what did you do about it.   Answer Question

PO Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kolkata (India)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at BP (Kolkata (India)) in January 2016.

Interview

it was good experience for me to attend this interview .online test also went well.very easy questions . hoping to be selected in this organisation. give me good luck. thank you very much.

IT Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at BP (Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)).

Interview

The hiring process took almost 1 month. First HR will call you for verification, then phone interview with one of the global Manager mostly to check your current job responsibilities if its a fit on the job that you are applying to. If everything goes well, you will be invited for face to face interview with HR manager, hiring manager and SME from the team. Comprises of technical and behavioural interview and its not easy.. Its the hardest interview i ever went to.. Then if they like you, they will ask you to take online assessment (that is also hard). Then if everything went well after a week, you will received the greatest news of your life..

Research Chemist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Naperville, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at BP (Naperville, IL) in October 2013.

Interview

I was recruited out of a career fair at my school. My resume was passed along, I was emailed in less than two weeks to set up a phone interview. Interviewer told me that there were 20 people interviewed on the phone. I found out that I was getting an on-site interview by the end of the week. The on-site interview was 2-3 weeks later. I presented a 50 minute presentation on my thesis work. I had several interviews with teams of one or two all day. All questions were behavioral yet technical at the same time. They want to hire someone that can work with people at all levels, outgoing, overachieving, intelligent, ethical, moral, and personable. They will ask you the same question 2-3 times that day so you can change answer or clarify later. I met mostly with other research scientists and once with HR. By the way, THE OTHER THREE FINAL CANDIDATES WERE THERE ON THE SAME DAY. You see them, have lunch, stay at the same hotel, have the HR benefits presentation with them. Don't get freaked out, be genial, not personal with other candidates. At the end of the day, they told us that we would know if we had the job or not the next day. The next day, I received an email to schedule a follow up phone interview with my would-be line manager about mostly technical questions and why I wanted to work for an oil company. The next day, he called me, told me I had the job, explained the benefits, and had 10 days to decide. I accepted. It was an EXTREMELY fair process. BP's travel agency works with you to create a seamless trip and they put you up in the best accommodations, refund all expenses you incur.

Interview Questions

• When did you have to use influence to make a colleague see your point of view to complete the project?   Answer Question

Negotiation

I asked my connections at the company if the compensation was fair, they said it was a very high offer. I decided not to negotiate. Furthermore, the negotiation process for people just coming out of school is extremely complicated. BP offered me 20-35% more than Exxon and Shell offer for the same position. Everyone is well paid. My offer was contingent on passing a background check and a full drug test (hair, etc). Don't even attempt to work for BP if you have been a user of drugs, drunk driver, etc.

Principal Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at BP in November 2013.

Interview

Interviews were panel interviews, which are challenging, and can be intimidating. There was also a Kubiks evaluation which entails a series of online psychological questionnaires, and a grueling 4-hour interview.

Interview Questions

• The Kubiks evaluation includes questions asking you to choose between two undesirable or unethical actions or outcomes.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Difficult. I did push back on the offer, but was not successful in getting much consideration

Project Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at BP.

Interview

Uses behavioral interviewing questions and techniques. You'd better be prepared because the hiring decision is made based on the points you make whilst answering the questions. It's subjective - yes, but that's the process. Suggest you brush up on the typical behavioral type questions you'll find on the web or in one of the popular interviewing books.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time when you had to make a unpopular decision? What was the situation and what was the decision? How did you manage the team's reaction and convince them that it was the right thing to do?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Smooth and short

Senior Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at BP in April 2013.

Interview

The hiring process was straightforward, but the interview was not. A BP recruiter contacted me about the position, I filled out a detailed application online, then the recruiter organized the on-site interview.

The interview started with a one-on-one with the department manager. He spent about 30 minutes detailing the size and complexity of the site and highlighted how he was so understaffed.

Then I had a series of three panel interviews, each one consisting of 3-4 people asking a variety of technical and behavioral questions. The technical questions were quite difficult and are not ones easily answered in the time allotted. The behavioral questions must all be answered in the STAR format: Situation, Task, Action, and Result. I felt the questions got progressively harder and more nebulous until I was unable to answer. The occasional shaking of heads and grimacing at each other only made me more nervous. Then that was the end of each panel.

I came away from the experience feeling very inadequate and really doubting my abilities as an engineer. I know I provided some excellent answers, some of which could only be obtained through years of experience and not from a book.

LESSON LEARNED: it appeared that each interview panel was not as concerned about the accuracy of my technical or behavioral answers but HOW I handled the pressure of the situation. I only wish I had known this going in -- I would have been more relaxed.

Each of the people I met implied how stressful it had been for the previous year, while the plant was commissioning a major capital expansion. A tour of their offices and working facilities showed the same. The folks seemed genuine, although their written remarks did not agree with the intangibles I picked up throughout the day and even over lunch.

Interview Questions

• I was given a verbal description of a multicomponent distillation column (probably right from Kister) with partial condenser, thermosiphon reboiler, and several sidedraws. They asked me to sketch the column, including each of the major control loops. Then they asked several what if scenarios such as: reboiler duty spiked sharply, reflux cut back, and the accumulator drum flooded: what do you do to fix it? Add to the previous situation if overhead liquid product is getting lighter? We spent a good bit of time on this stuff.   1 Answer
    • Give an example of where you had to disagree with an engineer's or manager's work who was more senior than you.   Answer Question
    • What color was the receptionist wearing?   1 Answer

I did not feel we had a mutual fit.