BT Interview Questions in United Kingdom | Glassdoor

BT Interview Questions in United Kingdom

Updated Apr 20, 2017

2.9

Call Centre Agent Interview

Anonymous Employee in Warrington, North West England, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at BT (Warrington, North West England, England (UK)).

Interview

The first step was a series of online tests that included number patterns and word relations. This was followed by a telephone interview, where an agent marked the answers given and said on the same call that I had passed. This was followed by an assessment 'day' (3 hours) at the call centre I would be working in. This was informal, and included a group discussion. This was followed the next day by a formal offer over the phone, and I started two months later.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at BT in April 2017.

Interview

Online assesment - scenario multi choice questions and data entry test. Took about 30 minutes. Didnt think i had done too well but got thru to next stage. Telephone interview took about 20 minutes. I think this stage is to assess your speech and ability to think quickly. Final stage was group interview at centre. This included talking about yourself and interacting with others. Sitting in on some calls on the floor then discussing them later. Also a one to one interview, very personable and informal. The whole of the group interview was very welcoming and friendly.

Graduate Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ipswich, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at BT (Ipswich, England (UK)).

Interview

Step 1 - Applied Online
    Step 2 - Skype Interview (General questions asked: See below)
    Step 3 - Technical Test (Fairly simple, don't leave it till last minute)
    Step 4 - Assessment Centre (See below)

Interview Questions

• • Skype Interview Questions:
      - Why BT
      - About BT's values
      - Describe a time you took leadership / teamwork etc...
      - What is BT's business model.

• Assessment Centre: (No vague answers are accepted, they will go into detail)

Stage 1) Individual Interview - All about your CV, some basic technical questions asked. E.g.
      - What is a class and describe a project that required you to use multiple classes. Describe those classes.
      - Describe your favourite project you've worked on and why?
      - Give me a time where you learnt something new and how did you apply it? (In detail)
      - Describe a time you had to take leadership and how?
      - Describe how you went about solving a technical problem, explain any concepts you applied.

Stage 2) Group Interview - They expect you to look very motivated and display leadership
      - They give you a study you have to read in groups and then discuss, nobody waits for you, everyone skim reads and quickly starts bashing out information before you even finish.
      - They then start giving you additional pieces of information on the case study that you must also discuss.
      - You must finally come to a solution based on what you've read and present the solution.
      TIP: This is a really important part of your assessment centre, probably the most important.

==== Food Break Provided By BT ====

Stage 3) Technical Interview:
      - They go through your project and its efficiency
      - They ask you questions about it and ask you how you think you can improve it.
      - They then provide you with some sort of mental activity to see how your brain functions or test your coding ability with a programming exercise. They tested me on the algorithms I knew through sorting cards.

Stage 4) Personal Presentation:
      - You have to present the presentation you were given (I had to present to 1 assessor, they might change this, so be prepared to present anywhere you're put).
      - The assessor then asks you questions and sees your handouts.
      - The assessor writes a report.

==== End Of Day - You Go Home ====
      Answer Question

Customer Service Advisor Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at BT.

Interview

You apply online, thereafter do an online assessment. If successful you are called by manpower for a telephone interview which can last for 30 minutes. You are told of the outcome after the interview and if successful you are booked for assessment at BT call centre.
    Assessment day entail, a short summary of your self and job experience, a group task about prioritising calls, a short interview and listening to some calls on the floor. You are sent a mail of the outcome after some days

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at BT (London, England (UK)).

Interview

Excellent, very nice people, very nice environment, excellent location, famous UK brand, I thoroughly enjoyed the experience, I only wish all the other interviews to have been like this one. Huge company with a familiar feeling, what else could I say to feel these fifty words minimum count 50 words is quite a lot, isn't it fifty already, five tens would be just right by now

Customer Service Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newcastle upon Tyne, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at BT (Newcastle upon Tyne, England (UK)) in March 2017.

Interview

After completing the application form, i was sent some online tests which were fairly simple. They then contacted me the next day for a phone interview. Almost every question i found on this site was asked to me. i went ahead and wrote down my answers to make it easier for myself. Took about 20 mins and I thought it went really well. Received an email hours later stating i was unsucessful

Customer Service Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newcastle upon Tyne, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at BT (Newcastle upon Tyne, England (UK)) in March 2017.

Interview

Completed an online assessment with a series of tests (none of the usual questions like asking for references or qualifications which I thought was odd). I then had a telephone interview which I was successful at before attending the Assessment Centre. Received a notification that I was unsuccessful before calling for feedback.

Interviewers were professional and nice at the Assessment Centre but I felt part of it was unfair... you have to listen in on telephone conversations in the actual call centre before explaining them back to the interviewers. And while I was lucky enough to do so next to someone who was getting lots of calls, some of the other candidates did not and were forced to sit around for 15 to 20 minutes while the person at their desk was busy doing paperwork or chatting, I saw some of them only able to listen in for about 1 or 2 minutes in reality. The interviewers noticed this but didn't do anything. This meant they didn't have as much to talk about. There were also a few other interviewees from Manpower (who has their call centre right next door), whom the hiring managers clearly had a huge bias towards but I guess that's understandable.

Overall process was OK, although I was left with a very bad impression by the Manpower staff I called for feedback... they were rude, pretended there was a problem with the line and kept telling me multiple times I didn't get the job when I knew I hadn't anyway. Also turned down because I informed them I'd be starting a Masters in autumn 2018, when they said it wouldn't be a problem during the interview itself.

I don't know if I would apply for a job at BT again as though I learned from the interview I felt the hiring process was a little biased tbh. As an outside candidate who hasn't worked for either BT or Manpower it was offputting.

BT Graduate Scheme Interview

Anonymous Employee in Ipswich, England (UK)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at BT (Ipswich, England (UK)) in March 2017.

Interview

Application form with questions relating to 'Why BT', and 'Why this graduate scheme'. Then a Situational Strengths test. Next, a skype interview which was clear, concise and very personal - questions include; 'how do people perceive you for building relationships', 'a time where you drove a project' etc. I'm now at the technical interview stage, if I am successful - will move onto final assessment centre.

Interview Questions

• A time where you drove a project?   1 Answer

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at BT (London, England (UK)) in March 2017.

Interview

Interview focused on evidencing capabilities and skills required for the job role. Asked to elaborate on how hypothetical scenarios would be managed and examples of how one has helped deliver change.
    This was a my second interview with BT -- Learned that on this occasion as well, the job went to an internal candidate. Be aware that BT has a substantial 'bench' that can bid for these jobs up until an offer is made to a successful candidate and in which case the external candidate is just a 'benchmark' to place an internal candidate. Unfortunate for candidates like me who have to incur considerable expense to get to the interview (outstation candidate, day off from work) Also, the feedback in this is case likely to be non existent for the external candidate unless they know someone on the 'inside' (as I did, after being unable to get a response from the proper contact)

Interview Questions

• How would you handle conflicts between stakeholders and how would you convince then of the need to align to your intentions ?   Answer Question

Research Summer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Ipswich, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at BT (Ipswich, England (UK)) in March 2017.

Interview

-- Please note that even though this role is not very commonly opened the application process is similar to the Graduate Programme --

My application process was comprised of 4 stages: online application, online tests, telephone interview and assessment centre.

. The online application was just filling the online form, attaching the CV and answering two motivation questions.

. Online test invitation is sent thereafter and is easy and similar to other you might have/will encounter(ed). It is a situational strengths test. You get the result few days (or hours, don't recall) later. A more complete feedback is provided couple of days later.

. I was invited for a telephone interview around three months after passing the online test. I hadn't a good impression from it... It lasted around 35-40 minutes and I think I was asked around 20 questions, ranging from motivational questions (ex. why work to BT) to technical questions relating to the area applied to (ex. what is the main challenge of the fibre optics for the next 10 years etc). I found it poorly conducted and tiresome. In the end, the call was wrapped up with a short "wait for a couple of weeks for a response, but bear in mind that we still have a lot of interviews to conduct". I though I had failed the interview due to this sentence. Some candidates do a "Skype" (video interview) instead/or too and it has basically the same questions as the telephone.

. A month after the telephone interview I was invited to the assessment centre in Ipswich. I think they advise you just a week before due to one of the tasks you are submitted (it follows). The assessment centre is comprised of 4 main tasks (1-to-1 interview, team case analysis, differential exercise - business case - and the presentation). The order is different to each candidate. It took place from 09am until 02.30pm. The presentation is to be prepared beforehand, I think that is the reason why they invite you to the assessment centre just a week before... You stay "locked" in a room with the other candidates and, on my case, with other two graduate programme intakes from past year, for the whole day. You are invited to change the room for each activitie. All activities are conducted by the managers of the roles that are opened and I felt like being "picked" by them. You always get different assessors for each activity. My 1-to-1 interview was a bit weird but comforting. The interviewer was more nervous than I was and s/he was agreeing with everything and carrying on asking the questions before I even finish answering the previous. In the end I felt I did well. Then you are invited to the case analysis (the only task you do in group) and it is about reading a case and presenting three feasible solutions to it. After 10 minutes you are started to being bombed with different informations that you might want to consider each minute. My team was pretty good and the discussion was well spread around us three. In the end of the time, you are prompted to present the three solution in a 5-minute presentation to be sketched during the group work. Then, lunch break. After the 45-minute lunch break you are quickly taken to the differential exercise. A business plan role play for a breakthrough project that can be approached by a SWOT analysis. You need to role play with the assessor being the project manager and you need to present plans for taking the idea further. I did not do very well on this one, because I failed to answer some commercial and business processes aspects. The assessor needed to ask thrice before getting my answer. Right after this activity finishes, you are invited to do your 10-minute presentation. I should say that you need to thoroughly prepare to it and know what you are talking about. Some questions are asked in the end of the presentation. I realised I did great when the assessor did not have much to ask just if I would take my solution further if I succeed on the interview. After this you are free to go. I was expecting a very stressful and tiresome day, however, it ran smoothly, along friendly candidates and two smiley graduates. We went for a walk around the campus after the end of the activities. Plus, do bring the required paperwork (proof of right to work) to the assessment centre. One of the candidates did not and it did not look OK for the assessment centre team leader.

I got a call offering the job early morning on the second day after the assessment centre. You get a thorough feedback of your strengths and weaknesses around 4-5 days after. They say that that if you are unsuccessful it is likely that they will get back by email instead of calling.