BT Interview Questions in United Kingdom | Glassdoor

Updated Dec 12, 2017

2.9

246 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

HR Business Partner Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took a year or more. I interviewed at BT (London, England (UK)).

Interview

Applied for HR Business Partner - a job I have some 17 years experience in - and received an automated rejection email from BT. Then received an email from their talent coordinator inviting me in to interview for a role that I hadn't even applied for - Org Design Consultant. Queried this and was told they were interviewing for numerous roles so come along and they will decide where I might best fit. Attended interview and was led to a room with a broken light - the interview took place in the dark. The interview discussion itself went well, they told me they had lots of HR roles to fill and were looking to move quickly to get them filled. They ended the interview with them saying they are definitely interested in progressing with me and would I be interested? After a positive discussion I was told I would be contacted early the following week about next steps. I never heard from them again, not even a courtesy 'thanks but no thanks' - which after taking a day off work and attending a face to face interview I think is absolutely appalling. I wouldn't, on principle, want to work for this company now. As someone who works in HR, I know full well how to treat a candidate and this wasn't it.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at BT in December 2017.

Interview

1. Upload CV
    2. Situational strengths test
    3. Skype strength-based interview
    4. Programming test and assesment centre

Based on a number of others' experiences, including mine, I wouldn't get excited until you pass the video interview, on whichever platform you use, e.g. Skype. The majority of the process is actually not handled by BT, but outsourced, up until the assessment centre, and it seems very common that one is turned down at the video interview, even though we all seem to be very sure that we did well.

Not the best experience. I wouldn't put too much effort onto thinking about the process until they email you at each stage. They could have you waiting weeks for a video interview, give a week preparing, ask you very simple questions when it arrives, have you thinking that you've answered very well and then turn you down with an automated response a few minutes later, and there is absolutely no feedback, as others have stated, most probably because it is outsourced.

To reiterate, you are not dealing with BT, nor real people that aren't following protocols and checklists, until the assessment centre. Do not get your hopes up and put too much energy in until then. You really just need to look at questions here, go on the 'about' section, on BT's website, and remember the answers.

Commercial Management Grad Scheme Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at BT (London, England (UK)) in December 2017.

Interview

Online questions followed by a video interview and then assessment centre. Assessment centre is a full day and consists of a one-to-one interview, group exercise, and 3 mini one to one tasks

Interview Questions

• Why commercial management?
      Why BT?
      What skills can you bring to the role?   Answer Question

Project Management Interview

Interview

Passed the Video Interview, was told they contacted me to arrange the Assessment Centre. Unfortunately missed their call, tried to call back the same day three times, every time went to voicemail. Also, left a voicemail, but got no response. Called multiple days in the days after and only got through once. When I did get through, the HR assistant said they didn't have access to the system but would get someone to call me back...but they didn't. Emailed, no response. FINALLY got though to them four days later to be told all their assessment centre places have been filled, very annoyed and let down!

BT Graduate Scheme Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at BT.

Interview

Didn't get through the video interview and received no feedback whatsoever, which is pretty poor. I know this is their policy but still disappointing as the rest of the process was good.

Overall they dont seem to care much about applicants until you get to AC stage, as it was all automated responses. Quite impersonal.

Graduate Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Ipswich, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at BT (Ipswich, England (UK)) in November 2017.

Interview

The process was as follows:

1. Application
    2. Situational test - Answer honestly but also keep the client in mind when making decisions
    3. Skype interview - This was purely strength based. I was questioned on my motivation for tech and for joining BT. Try to sound enthusiastic and don't be afraid to ramble (as long as you're making sense). Try to incorporate BT's core values into your answers
    4. Assessment centre which was split into 5 parts:

- Strength based interview (very similar to the Skype interview with more about you, your leadership and past projects)

- Group exercise (presentation) - We were given some fictional scenarios about BT and we had to organise them in order of priority. You then have to present the final list to a few assessors. I think you are mainly marked based on how you interact with your team members as opposed to the presentation itself so speak up, don't talk over others and ask the more quiet team members questions to get them involved.

- Virtual reality task - This was really cool. Using virtual reality, you have to complete a series of tasks. They test your problem solving skills in this task so relax, don't be too overwhelmed by VR and think logically.

- Technical interview - I went through my code that I had previously submitted with a senior developer. I was ask to explain code structure and the steps I took to solve the problem. After this I was asked to sort cards (normal cards with symbols on them) whilst explaining why I was sorting them in the way I was. Here they are testing your algorithmic skills but in a non-technical way. Try to relax and talk aloud as much as possible.

- Reading task: I was given 10 minutes to read and make notes on a booklet on how to fly a plane. The booklet is then taken away and you have to explain to the assessor how to fly a plane. You can use your notes. They want to see how you extract key information and be prepared to explain how and why you extracted certain bits of information.

*Tip for assessment centre*
    Be confident, talkative and most of all enthusiastic (especially with the assessors). Not only will this help you to settle in, but it will show the assessors that you really want to be there. Make conversation and ask lots of questions. The assessors and graduates are really nice so don't be nervous.

Interview Questions

Interview

online application, online SST and then a video interview. The online test was very easy, video interview was okay as well. Just be prepared with research about the company and role, and make sure you know about yourself and your strenghths

Marketing Graduate Scheme Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at BT in November 2017.

Interview

Submitted an application form, then had to sit a situational judgement test. Next stage was a video interview lasting around 20 minutes. The interview gave you 30 seconds to prepare your answer and then 2 minutes to respond. There was in total around 8 questions, ranging from informal questions to competency based questions

Marketing Graduate Scheme Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hatfield, East of England, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at BT (Hatfield, East of England, England (UK)) in November 2017.

Interview

As part of the assessment day I had an interview with one of the managers in the Marketing department. Two types of questions - competency based questions about work experience and skills; second type of questions was related to possible work based scenarios and how I would react. Ice-breaker question was what is your favourite song.

Interview Questions

• Why did you apply for this position and why BT?   1 Answer

Training Contract Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at BT (London, England (UK)) in November 2017.

Interview

Video Interview - series of 10 pre-recorded questions and approximately 2 to 3 minutes answering time. Questions about BT as a company, and the role I've applied for as well as how I could contribute to the company.