BTS Research Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at BTS

1 Interview Review

Research Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at BTS (New York, NY) in November 2014.

Interview

Surprisingly simple process, perhaps because I was not interviewing for a technical or consulting position. I applied online by submitting only a resume and they contacted me for a first round in-house interview a week or two after that. There was no phone interview, which was surprising very welcome because it lets you skip a step and go straight to the "real" interview.

Things moved pretty quickly once the interview process began. I met with a fluid cast of characters who talked about the culture at BTS as well as the general idea of the role I was interviewing for. They are definitely looking for a culture fit here. The discussion did often veer towards the higher-level research methodologies that BTS uses, asking for your own suggestions and input about how you might change or improve them, how they relate to your own experiences, etc. These can be tricky because these methodologies can seem so abstract at first, so think on your feet!

The interview concluded and the next day I was contacted about completing a homework assignment, meant to test my creativity in research and analysis by writing a one-page mock blog post about a given topic. The goal was to make you research something that you may not be an expert in (in this case, neuroscience) in order to see how you adapt your writing to the topic. I had approximately one week to finish the assignment, so it was not a major strain on my every day life, which is very considerate on BTS' part. You have the freedom to write about it however you want, so it was very challenging but interesting at the same time.

In the early-mid stretch of the following week, I was contacted by an HR representative with a verbal offer, the official terms of which were ironed out by the end of the next day when an official letter came through. This was exactly two weeks after interviewing, so it was a pretty prompt process.

Very positive experience but I feel that my case is not necessarily applicable to others' here because my role is kind of unique and experimental. Other people post much more technical interview reviews for consulting positions - that was not my experience, but it would not have been anyway.

Interview Questions

• How would you change or improve our research methods in order build more prescient insights?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Very open to my input. Asked me what I was looking for and the offer was exactly that.