Backcountry.com Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at Backcountry.com

2.5

Manufacturing Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Christiansburg, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Backcountry.com (Christiansburg, VA) in July 2019.

Interview

Called by head hunter from corporate office and interviewed with local factory supervisor. Brief tour with other possible candidates and then one on one with supervisor. Supervisor was friendly. The questions seemed like generic printed form from the internet, nothing original.

Project Accountant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Backcountry.com (Salt Lake City, UT) in January 2019.

Interview

Good Interview. They asked difficult questions involving the industry and length of work history. Interviewer was very polite and informative. Pleased to have been considered. Would consider applying again.

Copywriter Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Backcountry.com.

Interview

It was a bogus interview. I spoke with a bunch of uninterested people who could care less that I was coming in to interview for the position. I only got the job due to someone I knew in the department.

Interview Questions

• There was nothing specific. These employees had clearly punched out (at least psychologically).   Answer Question

Digital Marketing Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Park City, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Backcountry.com (Park City, UT) in August 2018.

Interview

I was contacted by the recruiter for an initial screen, which wasn't anything out of the ordinary. Then I spoke to the hiring manager, one team member, and the VP of the department on 3 separate calls. I was asked to do a 2 part project--the first part was 2 SQL queries. For the second part, I was given a dataset in Excel and asked to pull insights out of it. I was pretty let down by this project for a few reasons. Partly because the data was dirty, which I can deal with, but mostly because some of their dimensions weren't defined and/or didn't make sense. A little more direction on the project would've been helpful. Other projects I've received from other companies at the VERY LEAST contained an explanation of what some of their dimensions were if they weren't obvious. I interviewed with Backcountry's biggest competitor and their project was a lot more clear cut and my end product actually impressed (whereas here, it definitely did not).

I was asked to submit the SQL portion of the project first and then was flown out for an on-site interview at their Park City HQ. I met with the recruiter for an office tour and then was directed to a conference room to present my PowerPoint for the second half of the project. Needless to say, what I'd put together was not impressive. I'll be the first to admit that. I probably could've done more than what I put forth, but let's keep a few things in mind here. 1, this is an interview project--asking people to put in a ton of work to even decipher what your data means in addition to completing the actual project is a bit...self important on Backcountry's part. 2, the data didn't make sense. Sure, I could've pulled out 'insights' (with no clear business question in mind), but they wouldn't have made sense without any context surrounding the data.

After the abysmal presentation, I had 4 separate one-on-ones. One with a very cool analyst who had transitioned into more of a data engineer type position, one with a guy that had been moved from a customer service analyst position into a data analyst position, one with the hiring manager, and one with the VP. The only one that had any actual questions for me was the first person. Overall, the entire morning sort of felt like a waste of time. Why had I even been flown out there to interview? It seemed like they weren't really interested at all.

And apparently they weren't, because after spending time and money in the process (on both of our ends), they never called me back. I was giving it time because I do understand that the process can be drawn out. But it's now been almost 4 weeks, so I feel alright about writing this. Overall, I was extremely let down by the entire process with Backcountry. I'd been so excited to interview and be considered for this position, only to be let down by a lack of professionalism. I'm an avid outdoor enthusiast. I snowboard, ski, mountain bike, hike, rock climb...you name it. I'd been fairly loyal to Backcountry for all of my gear needs...but after this experience, I don't think I can even be a customer anymore. At the very least, they could've sent a rejection email, but I didn't even get that.

Another thing worth mentioning is that they made it pretty clear that this would not be a collaborative environment or somewhere where someone could grow their skills as an analyst. Verbatim, the VP said he expected someone that could come in with very little ramp up time (he said a week) and be able to provide what they needed. So, be prepared if hired -- they want you to be an expert in what you do and their business within a week and they're only willing to pay $60-70k for it. Which is crazy considering the market for these positions at the moment.

Get it together Backcountry, you have more potential than this.

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Park City, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Backcountry.com (Park City, UT) in August 2018.

Interview

I had an initial phone screen with HR, then a phone interview with the hiring manager followed by two more with others higher and lower on the team.

HR was prompt in replying the entire time, until after the third round when I had radio silence. I sent two follow ups and got no response, only to get a generic rejection 1.5 months later. Would it have been so hard to reject me in a timely manner or give some kind of update?

Interview Questions

• What kind of manager do you work best with?   1 Answer

Gearhead Interview

Anonymous Employee in West Valley City, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Backcountry.com (West Valley City, UT) in June 2018.

Interview

Interview process went smooth. I first got a phone call from a recruiter, and made my appointment with her to have an in person interview. I then had my in person interview a few days later.

Team Lead Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Backcountry.com.

Interview

They will pull you into a room with two interviewers and ask you 4 base questions and then some follow-up questions based off of what your responses are. After which the interviewers will chat a while, then send you on your way.

Interview Questions

• Why would you be a good fit?   Answer Question
    • What is your plan for the team going forward?   Answer Question
    • If you had to survive a zombie apocalypse, where would you be, what weapon would you have, and choose one person to be with. Why?   Answer Question
    • How would you go about corrective action.   Answer Question

Director Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Backcountry.com.

Interview

Applied online and heard back to schedule an interview 2 weeks later. The recruiter literally sounded like she was reading an "about Us" script without taking a breathe. Seemed very hipster and talked about how she likes to work alone. She did most of the talking. I did appreciate the specific detail in the company's goals and vision for the next several years. She asked pretty vague questions, like "What experience do you have in compensation, training, etc." Pretty standard. After numerous follow ups, after the deadline she gave for next steps, I never heard back.

Interview Questions

• What's your experience in [compensation, training, budgets, etc.]?   Answer Question

Merchandise Processor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Backcountry.com (Salt Lake City, UT) in March 2018.

Interview

The interview was very easy and took about 10 minutes. Very chill. Was clear in interview that there is high turnover and they need people who can show up, do the work, and accept the fact the work is lame/boring. People basically do the job for the discounts.

Interview Questions

• Can you lift up to 50 LBS?   1 Answer
    • Have you ever had a job that requires you to hit certain performance levels?   1 Answer
    • Can you read/audit labels accurately?   1 Answer

Financial Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Backcountry.com.

Interview

The people I interviewed with were all friendly, and the interview process overall was not overly strenuous or difficult. I performed three phone interviews with different employees, and after the third one, they simply never got back to me. My guess is even after I did well with the interviews, they held back on meeting with me in person because I am a recent graduate and do not have two years of experience yet. Over the phone two people said it wasn’t a big deal and one (first guy I talked with) said it could potentially pose problems. At least they had the decency to talk with me and let me practice interviewing. Only apply here if you have already done an internship here, or if you have more than the recommended level of experience.