Backcountry.com Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Mar 20, 2017

2.7

Marketing Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Park City, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Backcountry.com (Park City, UT) in February 2017.

Interview

If you interview here, prepare for the long haul. The process took a little under three months. There were three phone screenings - not including the recruiter. One of the phone screens was with a Harvard graduate who has a Masters in Biostatistics and another had a PhD in Astrophysics. Once the phone screenings were over, they gave me homework to complete over the weekend which I then presented to a group of eight. In the end I wasn't offered the position because of my experience and short work history.

I've actually interview for three positions here. So either they are very picky (They are), or I just look a lot better on paper than I really am (probably true too). The overall experience was really good though. Everyone was very professional and the recruiter actually called me to tell me I hadn't gotten the job..... does that ever happen? Seriously. Very classy. However, it's disappointing to invest so much time into the process and not get the job based on information they had from the first phone screen (my work history and experience).

There is no growing into a role at Backcountry. Trust me, I have tried three times. You must either fit the role 100% perfectly or be overqualified. It's competitive enough that there is likely someone more qualified than you if you're only at 60-80%. So think about that before you initiate the tediously long process.

Anyways, good luck with your interview if you got one.

Interview Questions

• Using the attached datasets, answer the following:
      1. What is the daily estimated revenue and NTF by channel during January and November 2015?
      a. Explain the methodology used to estimate these values? Summarize any significant explanatory variables.
      b. What are the strengths and weaknesses of your model?
      c. What additional data would you want to increase the accuracy of your estimate?
      2. Assume the aggregate annual marketing cost is fixed. However, marketing spend can be adjusted to a different channel or time period (within the same calendar year).
      a. Would you adjust marketing spend? Why or why not?
      b. What would be the net impact in revenue and NTF? How did you arrive at this estimate?
      c. What additional information would you want and why?
      3. In theory, what factors and considerations are needed to optimize marketing spend? Describe tests you could conduct to set optimal targets. What additional data would be needed for these tests?
      1 Answer
    • Where do you like to ski?   Answer Question

Associate Buyer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Backcountry.com (Salt Lake City, UT) in January 2017.

Interview

I applied on their career site, and about a week later someone contacted me to complete an associate buyer "homework assignment" it was rather simple and straightforward, basically just testing an applicant's ability to navigate excel and communicate clearly.

About two weeks after sending in my homework, I emailed to check up on my application and the hiring process. I heard back and was invited to interview in Park City. The interviewers didn't seem like they were all to prepared, not to be mistaken for the casual laid back culture. I know one of them wasn't listening to what I said as she asked me a question despite I had just stated the information she was asking about. I felt the interviews went well, with typical questions, it was at least easy to communicate with the interviewers.

Following up, I sent an email one week after my interview to the recruiter I had been working with. Two weeks pass- making it three weeks total- and still no reply to my email. Then, just before the four week mark, I get an email at 4:30 on Friday afternoon that I was not selected.

I understand that the recruiting process can be timely, but this was an entry-level, basic position that didn't require as much time and effort as a higher lever job would. I was very frustrated throughout the process at the lack of communication on Backcountry's end.

Overall, super disappointed in the company I once worked for (I had previously spent a year with the company and finished up employment on great terms).

Senior Art Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Backcountry.com (Portland, OR) in January 2017.

Interview

First I spoke to the recruiter. The call went very well we spoke about their company culture, life in Park City, my work experience, and how I might fit into their organization. On a second call I spoke to the creative director. I was asked about my most meaningful work experience. I had hoped to have more time to ask them more about their own work experiences, but was ultimately cut short.

Benefits and Perks Coordinator Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Backcountry.com in October 2016.

Interview

A three hour marathon. The last person who interviewed me acted like he was upset because the previous interview went over and I asked to use the restroom. He worked on his while he conducted the interview.

Interview Questions

• They asked me for ideas on company party's.   1 Answer

Senior Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Park City, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Backcountry.com (Park City, UT) in October 2016.

Interview

Applied online and received a phone call from the recruiter.

The phone interview was extremely difficult because of the amount of filler works the recruiter used. Every other word was "uh" or "um" during the personality questions and previous work experience. At the end she asked for salary compensation at all my previous jobs.

A week later I received a phone call from the hiring manager who was only on the job for a couple of weeks. He explained that Backcountry laid off and cut too deep into the workforce and is trying to refill the positions. A lot of the processes and knowledge were lost in the layoffs so they needed someone to pick up the previous finance roles. The manager said this position is open because he is struggling to keep up because so many people were let go.

I never received any feedback afterwards and Backcountry calls from scrambled phone numbers and automated emails. There is no way to reach out to Backcountry for feedback or information and I haven't heard from them in over two months.

Interview Questions

• What do you like about your current job?
      Why are you looking to work for Backcountry?
      What do you know about Backcountry?
      The pay is lower than the median, are you okay with that?
      I don't know what the current processes are, are you okay with coming on board and figuring out everything by yourself?
      Answer Question

Seasonal Gearhead Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Backcountry.com in September 2016.

Interview

Easiest interview in the world. I was contacted by a recruiter and set up an interview the next business day. I met with one of the Team Lead's she was very nice. I thought the office space was pretty cool, and overall I felt very welcome.

Interview Questions

• "You can answer either of these questions: Tell us about a time where you overcame on obstacle that was preventing you from your work goal OR Why are you a good candidate for this position?"   Answer Question

Sales Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Backcountry.com (Salt Lake City, UT) in September 2016.

Interview

Phone screen with HR. Phone screen with VP. Panel interview with existing managers. Was asked to do a presentation on training and what I used in the past to develop a strong sales team.

Interview Questions

• How would I use my past 15 yrs experience to further the new GHX program.   1 Answer

Marketplace Marketing Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Park City, UT

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Backcountry.com (Park City, UT) in July 2016.

Interview

I first applied for a position in the merchandising/buying department 6-8 months ago and was contacted via LinkedIn if I was interested in joining their Customer Acquisition team. I have previous experience with ecom/marketing so I took the interview anyway.

The process took about 3-4 weeks and were all phone interviews. First step was a phone screening with the recruiter. Basic screening questions about my experience and what I knew about the company. I was contacted within the same week for a round two. Round two was with the Customer Acquisition Manager. Questions were about my experience and she talked about their daily routines in the department. The final interview was with their CMO. He has asked more behavioral questions, my experience, and what achievements I had in my previous employers. They seemed to be looking to fulfill the position fairly quick so I think they interview process went quick. At the time, I just got hired by another outdoor company so I wasn't disappointed if they did or didn't give me an offer. I took the interview just to improve my interviewing experience.

Merchandise Processor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Christiansburg, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Backcountry.com (Christiansburg, VA).

Interview

Very easy to get hired here, show up 10 minutes early, dress like you spend time outdoors, smile and act excited to learn. They will give you a tour of the building; act interested. Be calm. They are nice when interviewing you.

Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Park City, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Backcountry.com (Park City, UT) in June 2016.

Interview

Very lengthy process. I went through three phone calls and a follow up three hour interview with six different people. I was told when I arrived at the interview that they also had internal applicants for the position. It was easy to spot those who had someone internal in mind by the way they framed the description compared to what the original job posting was. They asked questions that didn't really fit with how the job posting was originally described, which was very confusing. One interviewer showed up 15 minutes late for our 30 minute interview and then asked me to tell him what other questions the others had asked me and how I responded. Super strange process overall.

Interview Questions

• They are definitely set in their ways. When asked what they could be doing different, they didn't seem open to change and the interviewer acted insulted. The question was, "What are we doing well, and what what could we be doing better."   Answer Question