Backcountry.com Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Sort:
  1. Featured Interview

Customer Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Backcountry.com (Salt Lake City, UT) in September 2016.

Interview

It was a pretty basic interview. You will do a pre screening with the front desk lady, or another staff member. If you hear back then you will do an interview with 1 or 2 sales managers. The main thing they are looking for is an ability to have a organic conversation comfortably. Mention that you like the outdoors and helping customers and your in.

Interview Questions

• basic interview team work and motivation questions   1 Answer

Photographer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Park City, UT

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Backcountry.com (Park City, UT) in January 2012.

Interview

It was a pretty easy interview process. Made phone contact with manager, showed portfolio, came in for 1 on 1 interview, took tour of studio, accepted job.

Interview Questions

• how many years of photography experience do you have   1 Answer
    • Have you shot product before   1 Answer

Associate Buyer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Backcountry.com (Salt Lake City, UT) in January 2017.

Interview

I applied on their career site, and about a week later someone contacted me to complete an associate buyer "homework assignment" it was rather simple and straightforward, basically just testing an applicant's ability to navigate excel and communicate clearly.

About two weeks after sending in my homework, I emailed to check up on my application and the hiring process. I heard back and was invited to interview in Park City. The interviewers didn't seem like they were all to prepared, not to be mistaken for the casual laid back culture. I know one of them wasn't listening to what I said as she asked me a question despite I had just stated the information she was asking about. I felt the interviews went well, with typical questions, it was at least easy to communicate with the interviewers.

Following up, I sent an email one week after my interview to the recruiter I had been working with. Two weeks pass- making it three weeks total- and still no reply to my email. Then, just before the four week mark, I get an email at 4:30 on Friday afternoon that I was not selected.

I understand that the recruiting process can be timely, but this was an entry-level, basic position that didn't require as much time and effort as a higher lever job would. I was very frustrated throughout the process at the lack of communication on Backcountry's end.

Overall, super disappointed in the company I once worked for (I had previously spent a year with the company and finished up employment on great terms).

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

I went to their company. The interview process was straightforward. The manager asked me so many techincal problems. Many of them are realted to databases and data structure. Their working evironment is good. Because I am not fully prepared, i didn't got the chance to work at there.

Interview Questions

• what is the biggest chanllege you met in your last job?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Backcountry.com (Salt Lake City, UT).

Interview

2.5 hrs of interview. Mostly based on web application topics like REST apis, JS and algorithms and i screwed up with the algos!
    All questions were basics and mostly they might ask u to give write a code snippet!

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Park City, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Backcountry.com (Park City, UT) in August 2018.

Interview

I had an initial phone screen with HR, then a phone interview with the hiring manager followed by two more with others higher and lower on the team.

HR was prompt in replying the entire time, until after the third round when I had radio silence. I sent two follow ups and got no response, only to get a generic rejection 1.5 months later. Would it have been so hard to reject me in a timely manner or give some kind of update?

Interview Questions

• What kind of manager do you work best with?   1 Answer

Senior User Experience Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Park City, UT

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Backcountry.com (Park City, UT) in April 2013.

Interview

I was contacted by a backcountry recruiter and asked to apply for a position as a Sr. UX Designer (BTW this title carries no meaning, because all of their UX designers are designated as "Sr."). After going through a phone screening I was invited to HQ for a day-long interview. I was asked to complete a "Homework Assignment", a sample UX project that I was asked to present on the day of the interview. I spent some late nights putting it together and I was excited about the company and the interview. And then...

I showed up 15 min early for the interview, as instructed in the orientation documents. After waiting with the receptionist for 45 minutes, someone finally showed up to greet me. Apparently the recruiter was home sick. Ok, whatever. But 45 minutes? Really? The UX team was nice enough, and I had the chance to meet with a researcher and Product Owner. They all asked the same canned questions: What's your process? How do you work with others? Etc. It was a surprisingly stifling atmosphere, and by lunch, I could tell that these people didn't really like their jobs. It was a pretty stark contrast to the "we play all day" narrative on the jobs section of the backcountry.com website.

Anyways, after following up with the recruiter (the one who was sick) and waiting for over a week to get any response, I got an email saying that I "hadn't made the list of finalists", or something to that effect. I was VERY surprised that they had asked me to come in for a day-long interview and complete a project/presentation when I wasn't even a finalist. To top it all off, I asked for some feedback on the interview and have not yet received a response.

Overall the experience left a bad taste in my mouth. I wouldn't recommend interviewing (or working) there.

Site Reliability Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Park City, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Backcountry.com (Park City, UT) in January 2015.

Interview

Long silence, screen with a recruiter, long silence, tech screen with head of engineering (he didn't show), long silence, rushed in-person interview with about an hour of one-on-one with each of the team leads. Overall, if the kool-aid had been good I would've accepted regardless of salary. Sadly, the kool-aid was sketchy at best - efforts were uncoordinated, no overarching vision or identity from leadership; team leads seemed stressed and desperate for help due to artificially tight schedules and excessive technical debt.

Interview Questions

• Do you know what you're doing?   1 Answer

Site Reliability Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Tigard, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Backcountry.com (Tigard, OR) in June 2015.

Interview

Phone Screen, followed by 1 on 1 in-person interview at their remote branch in Tigard, OR (motorsport.com). Then met with the rest of the engineering team via remote video call (Engineers are based in Costa Rica/Utah). Interview was fairly simple with a couple of questions regarding basic Linux Administration. Overall about 2hrs spent. Heard back from their recruiter about a couple of days later.

Interview Questions

• Print to STDOUT the Fibonacci sequence using your preferred programming language.   1 Answer

Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Park City, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Backcountry.com (Park City, UT) in June 2016.

Interview

Very lengthy process. I went through three phone calls and a follow up three hour interview with six different people. I was told when I arrived at the interview that they also had internal applicants for the position. It was easy to spot those who had someone internal in mind by the way they framed the description compared to what the original job posting was. They asked questions that didn't really fit with how the job posting was originally described, which was very confusing. One interviewer showed up 15 minutes late for our 30 minute interview and then asked me to tell him what other questions the others had asked me and how I responded. Super strange process overall.

Interview Questions

• They are definitely set in their ways. When asked what they could be doing different, they didn't seem open to change and the interviewer acted insulted. The question was, "What are we doing well, and what what could we be doing better."   Answer Question

Marketing Interview

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Backcountry.com.

Interview

The first interview went extremely well as the interviewer was nice and professional. The second interview with the actual hiring manager started out well, but as time went on the interviewer stopped taking notes which affected me later.
    I got a call later that I didn't get the position based on an answer to an interview question that was answered poorly when compared to the person who got the job. I asked the interviewer how did it get answered by the other person who got hired. The interview explained to me what he said, the funny thing is, I said almost the exact same thing the person who got hired said.
    This to me was unprofessional as the interviewer tried to lie to me about what I did and did not say.

Interview Questions

• Nothing to difficult just more on the interviewers end of recording notes that are extremely important to a person's future at the company.   Answer Question