Backcountry.com Interview Questions in Park City, UT | Glassdoor

Backcountry.com Interview Questions in Park City, UT

Updated Mar 16, 2017

Marketing Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Park City, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Backcountry.com (Park City, UT) in February 2017.

Interview

If you interview here, prepare for the long haul. The process took a little under three months. There were three phone screenings - not including the recruiter. One of the phone screens was with a Harvard graduate who has a Masters in Biostatistics and another had a PhD in Astrophysics. Once the phone screenings were over, they gave me homework to complete over the weekend which I then presented to a group of eight. In the end I wasn't offered the position because of my experience and short work history.

I've actually interview for three positions here. So either they are very picky (They are), or I just look a lot better on paper than I really am (probably true too). The overall experience was really good though. Everyone was very professional and the recruiter actually called me to tell me I hadn't gotten the job..... does that ever happen? Seriously. Very classy. However, it's disappointing to invest so much time into the process and not get the job based on information they had from the first phone screen (my work history and experience).

There is no growing into a role at Backcountry. Trust me, I have tried three times. You must either fit the role 100% perfectly or be overqualified. It's competitive enough that there is likely someone more qualified than you if you're only at 60-80%. So think about that before you initiate the tediously long process.

Anyways, good luck with your interview if you got one.

Interview Questions

• Using the attached datasets, answer the following:
      1. What is the daily estimated revenue and NTF by channel during January and November 2015?
      a. Explain the methodology used to estimate these values? Summarize any significant explanatory variables.
      b. What are the strengths and weaknesses of your model?
      c. What additional data would you want to increase the accuracy of your estimate?
      2. Assume the aggregate annual marketing cost is fixed. However, marketing spend can be adjusted to a different channel or time period (within the same calendar year).
      a. Would you adjust marketing spend? Why or why not?
      b. What would be the net impact in revenue and NTF? How did you arrive at this estimate?
      c. What additional information would you want and why?
      3. In theory, what factors and considerations are needed to optimize marketing spend? Describe tests you could conduct to set optimal targets. What additional data would be needed for these tests?
      1 Answer
    • Where do you like to ski?   Answer Question

Senior Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Park City, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Backcountry.com (Park City, UT) in October 2016.

Interview

Applied online and received a phone call from the recruiter.

The phone interview was extremely difficult because of the amount of filler works the recruiter used. Every other word was "uh" or "um" during the personality questions and previous work experience. At the end she asked for salary compensation at all my previous jobs.

A week later I received a phone call from the hiring manager who was only on the job for a couple of weeks. He explained that Backcountry laid off and cut too deep into the workforce and is trying to refill the positions. A lot of the processes and knowledge were lost in the layoffs so they needed someone to pick up the previous finance roles. The manager said this position is open because he is struggling to keep up because so many people were let go.

I never received any feedback afterwards and Backcountry calls from scrambled phone numbers and automated emails. There is no way to reach out to Backcountry for feedback or information and I haven't heard from them in over two months.

Interview Questions

• What do you like about your current job?
      Why are you looking to work for Backcountry?
      What do you know about Backcountry?
      The pay is lower than the median, are you okay with that?
      I don't know what the current processes are, are you okay with coming on board and figuring out everything by yourself?
      Answer Question

Marketplace Marketing Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Park City, UT

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Backcountry.com (Park City, UT) in July 2016.

Interview

I first applied for a position in the merchandising/buying department 6-8 months ago and was contacted via LinkedIn if I was interested in joining their Customer Acquisition team. I have previous experience with ecom/marketing so I took the interview anyway.

The process took about 3-4 weeks and were all phone interviews. First step was a phone screening with the recruiter. Basic screening questions about my experience and what I knew about the company. I was contacted within the same week for a round two. Round two was with the Customer Acquisition Manager. Questions were about my experience and she talked about their daily routines in the department. The final interview was with their CMO. He has asked more behavioral questions, my experience, and what achievements I had in my previous employers. They seemed to be looking to fulfill the position fairly quick so I think they interview process went quick. At the time, I just got hired by another outdoor company so I wasn't disappointed if they did or didn't give me an offer. I took the interview just to improve my interviewing experience.

Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Park City, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Backcountry.com (Park City, UT) in June 2016.

Interview

Very lengthy process. I went through three phone calls and a follow up three hour interview with six different people. I was told when I arrived at the interview that they also had internal applicants for the position. It was easy to spot those who had someone internal in mind by the way they framed the description compared to what the original job posting was. They asked questions that didn't really fit with how the job posting was originally described, which was very confusing. One interviewer showed up 15 minutes late for our 30 minute interview and then asked me to tell him what other questions the others had asked me and how I responded. Super strange process overall.

Interview Questions

• They are definitely set in their ways. When asked what they could be doing different, they didn't seem open to change and the interviewer acted insulted. The question was, "What are we doing well, and what what could we be doing better."   Answer Question

Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Park City, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at Backcountry.com (Park City, UT) in May 2016.

Interview

I applied on the company website, I heard back from a recruiter within a few hours to set up a phone screen. The phone screen was pretty basic and not hard. They brought me on site and I only met with the recruiter, again not a very deep interview. Behavioral interview questions.

Interview Questions

• What positions have you recruited? What is the recruiting process where you are at? Sourcing strategies.   Answer Question

Email Marketing Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Park City, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Backcountry.com (Park City, UT) in October 2015.

Interview

Very casual interview process and timelines were kept to. Seemed a little excessive for an entry-level position (3 hours of 1:1 interviews with 7 different people). One of my interviewers was 20 minutes late for a 30 minute interview and this was supposedly my main stakeholder for the position. Was super bummed I didn't get it.

Site Reliability Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Park City, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Backcountry.com (Park City, UT) in January 2015.

Interview

Long silence, screen with a recruiter, long silence, tech screen with head of engineering (he didn't show), long silence, rushed in-person interview with about an hour of one-on-one with each of the team leads. Overall, if the kool-aid had been good I would've accepted regardless of salary. Sadly, the kool-aid was sketchy at best - efforts were uncoordinated, no overarching vision or identity from leadership; team leads seemed stressed and desperate for help due to artificially tight schedules and excessive technical debt.

Interview Questions

• Do you know what you're doing?   1 Answer

Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Park City, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Backcountry.com (Park City, UT) in June 2014.

Interview

I applied online in March of 2014, and after a short screen with the recruiter, I was given a "planning test" via excel and then I was scheduled for a phone interview with the hiring manager. I then didn't hear anything for a couple of months, but received an email that there were some changes going on and to sit tight. Around 3 months after my initial application, I was contacted to fly out for a day of interviews. It was then that I found out there had been a recent round of layoffs and the hiring manager I originally spoke with was no longer at the company. The interviews were 1/2 a day and I met with about 9 different people. Everyone was extremely friendly and I was able to ask a lot of questions to get a feel for the company and culture.

Interview Questions

• What is your sport of choice? Not really unexpected or difficult, but they want to make sure you are a good fit culturally.   Answer Question
    • Name a time that you disagreed with your manager. How did you handle it?   Answer Question

Technology Management Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Park City, UT

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Backcountry.com (Park City, UT) in April 2014.

Interview

Contacted proactively by Recruiter. I think they just scroll through LinkedIn. Description of roll sent was different then posting and online testing that occurred during screening process.

Interview Questions

• This company seems lost on agile and true development process, and exactly what they are solving for.   1 Answer

Front End Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Park City, UT

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Backcountry.com (Park City, UT) in February 2014.

Interview

My application process began in October of 2013 when I gave my resume to a friend who works there. Soon after I applied to a few positions through their website. It wasn't until February of 2014 that I heard from them and that was only after a lot of prodding on my part. My first phone interview was with the recruiter, and it was kind of a personality/fit survey. My next phone interview was with an engineer, and it was more technical in nature with some tests. I made it through and was invited to their Park City HQ for an all day interview session. I had four one hour interviews with engineers and an informal lunch interview with the same recruiter as before. All of the engineers spent part of the time asking me personality/experience questions and the other part administering programming tests. Even though I was on site, all of the engineering interviews were over Google Hangouts with off-site engineers.

After all of that I was not offered a position. The primary reason given was that I was not able to complete one of the tests an interviewer gave me before my time with her was up and that I got some questions wrong. The thing is, we talked for almost the entire time, and I was only given 5-10 minutes to complete a pretty complicated multi part HTML/CSS test. After seeing the size of the test and instructions I admit I panicked a little bit. I had to read the instructions multiple times to understand what it was asking, and by the time I was even starting we were out of time. The interviewer said not to worry about it, and that I could finish it at home. Working on it at home, I probably spent a couple hours on it and got it to her that same night. I don't think even the most expert HTML/CSS guy could have finished it in the initial time allotted. So to have my failure to complete the test in the time allotted cited as a reason I was not hired was pretty frustrating, especially when the interviewer told me I could finish at home.

Interview Questions

• Multiple HTML/CSS tests. Be able to answer very technical questions about HTML/CSS minutia as well as code HTML/CSS & JavaScript on the spot. Multiple JavaScript DOM manipulation & algorithmic tests.   Answer Question