Bain & Company Associate Consultant Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Bain & Company Associate Consultant Interview Questions

Updated Apr 24, 2017

3.7

Associate Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Bain & Company (London, England (UK)) in December 2016.

Interview

I applied online and completed the online maths test.

I was then invited to the first-round interview. Before this, I attended a case study session by Bain and corresponded with my 'first-round interview buddy', who was assigned to me by Bain. The interview itself consisted of a market sizing/personal fit interview (conducted by an Associate Consultant) and a case study interview (conducted by a Consultant). I got on well with both of my interviewers and it was a great experience. The case study interview had some slides to go through and the interviewer guided me through some questions about it. The market sizing was a fun process and there was a lot of back-and-forth / brainstorming with my interviewer about certain assumptions.

I was invited to the second-round interview. Before this, I received some helpful feedback from one of my first-round interviewers, who was very encouraging. Again, I thoroughly enjoyed my interactions with my interviewers in the second round (two Principals and a Partner). The second round consisted of a presentation-style interview, where I was given a lot of slides and not a lot of time to sift through them. The case was about a small burger chain in London. They had some questions for me to answer based on the slides and a lot of calculations to make (no calculator). Some of the slides were not important (even so, it requires some quick work). There was also a personal fit interview incorporated in this one (with some typical interview questions, in addition to a few personalised ones based on my CV). The next interview was a case study, where the interviewer gave me a bunch of information to write down. The interviewer asked me a few different questions about what the company's options might be and which would be best (Case in Point was useful to get a general sense of available options). It required a ton of assumptions, as there was little to go on. I then had a couple of slides with numbers and had to do a bit of maths. The final interview was a short case study (mostly a personal/CV interview), where I was given a few slides and asked to draw some conclusions based on graphs. Mostly, though, it was a general discussion about the job and the company!

The recruitment team was very welcoming, friendly, and seemed genuinely interested in hearing about how your interview had gone.

Everyone I met was great - they were all interesting people, friendly, willing to engage in discussion, and open to answering all my questions. They were also all very forgiving of the mistakes I made in my interview, and in some instances willing to give me a little hint!

Interview Questions

• Estimate the revenue of an optician in your town.
    Why Bain?
    Why consulting?
    Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Bain & Company

Associate Consultant Interview

Interview

It was a case interview with multiple cases over multiple rounds. I enjoyed the discussion with each of the interviewers. the cases weren't easy, but they weren't very difficult.

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Bain & Company (Boston, MA) in January 2015.

Interview

2 rounds of interviews (first round and final round) with 2 interviews each. There was a large case interview component (interactive business case) and then questions about fit. The interviewers were very friendly during all stages of the process and helped us work through the business case

Associate Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brussels (Belgium)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Bain & Company (Brussels (Belgium)) in March 2017.

Interview

Eerst een paar persoonlijke vragen met betrekking tot je CV gevolgd door een case. Op het einde heb je de mogelijkheid om zelf wat vragen te stellen. De case was bet moeilijk en bestaat en dwingt je zowel kwalitatieve als kwantitatieve vaardigheden te tonen. De interviewers zijn wel heel vriendelijk en helpen indien je ergens moeilijkheden hebt.

Associate Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Paris (France)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Bain & Company (Paris (France)) in March 2017.

Interview

Expérience moyenne:
    - Plutôt long pour avoir un retour, partage de l'horaire d'entretien la veille uniquement, pas de feedback suite à la sortie du processus et pas de réponses des RH
    + Entretiens agréables, interviewers sympathiques

Processus:
    - Sélection sur CV
    - Test langue anglaise téléphonique (motivation + mini case)
    - 1er tour: Test anglais synthèse d'article (Bain Insight) + 2 études de cas avec des consultants, FIT très rapide à chaque fois
    - 2ème tour: 1 entretien FIT avec Partner + 1 entretien cas avec Principal

Interview Questions

• 1er tour: Cas profitabilité + Market entry avec mkt sizing à chaque fois
      2ème tour: Cas dérégulation et profitabilité
      Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Bain & Company (Chicago, IL) in September 2016.

Interview

Hiring and interview are challenging but pretty straightforward. First rounds are two cases back to back with separate people. Second rounds are three cases and a behavioral. First rounds were conducted with consultants while second rounds had a few managers as well. The best thing is that they want to help you- someone called ahead of time to give me a practice case, and both of my first round interviewers were willing to call me with feedback before my second rounds.

Associate Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Quito (Ecuador)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Bain & Company (Quito (Ecuador)) in November 2016.

Interview

Bain does not recruit on my campus yet, and I was studying abroad at the time, so my interview process was a little different than standard. I applied online and was soon contacted by two current consultants offering to run practice cases with me. Especially as I was studying abroad thousands of miles from any friends also prepping for case interviews, this step was incredibly helpful. From there, I had a first-round interview via Skype. Within a week, I received a phone call that I had received a second-round interview. I also got emails from two more consultants offering to run practice cases with me. Typically a second-round interview would be in the office; however, mine was via Skype again because I was studying abroad. Overall, the cases were not as hard as I expected, and the current employees' assistance in prepping for the interviews was invaluable.

Interview Questions

• These will be fairly standard case interviews. Almost all of mine had some component of proposed expansion to current businesses and analyzing profitability of the new venture. One was more supply-chain focused and the objective was to cut costs. I had everything from catalytic converter manufacturers to frozen dog food suppliers as clients. Even if you know little about the industry, you can still work through the case.   1 Answer

Associate Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney (Australia)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Bain & Company (Sydney (Australia)) in March 2017.

Interview

2 x Case Interviews
    there was a bit of general chit chat with some behavioural questions e.g. tell us about a time where you added value to a team. This was followed by two mini case questions. The first one was market sizing for a charity. The second was profitability of an infant milk producer.

Associate Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Bain & Company in October 2016.

Interview

On-campus interview after applying through my university's career center and networking with alumni. Had 2 business cases but didn't go through to the next round. The cases weren't too difficulty but based on my experience, a lot was placed on fit. Good process overall - the team was welcoming and seemed interested in your background. The process is competitive but it's definitely worth trying.

Associate Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Bain & Company in October 2016.

Interview

I interviewed through on-campus recruiting. There were first two 45 minute case interviews with a couple of behavioral questions. Then I was flown out to their office and did 4 30 minute interviews. 3 of them were case interviews and the other was behavioral. The second round was less standard and it became clear that social fit was being assessed just as much as case performance.