Bain & Company Associate Consultant Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Dec 9, 2017

3.7

421 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Associate Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Bain & Company (London, England (UK)) in December 2017.

Interview

Efficient process throughout. First round interviews consisted of a case study and a market sizing study, with "fit" questions asked in the beginning. The case was of average difficulty: I think I messed up some of the reading of the data but it worked out well. Market sizing was fine, they are more interested in your assumptions, method, and your reaction to your final answer than in your actual numbers. I was in and out in less than two hours, so really efficient.

Got an email the week after saying I was through to second round, which consisted of a written case and two interviews. The written case was hard: the calculations required take time and there is a lot of info to be digested. I messed up a lot of the maths but my analysis was fine on the whole, but be aware that you're not going to be able to synthesise all the info required so be open to thinking on your feet when your interviewer points you in a direction. The second case interview was easier than normal--the interviewer drove this, and it was mostly brainstorming with some (easy) maths: no summary. Third interview with a partner, and mostly fit, with some maths, structure and brainstorming thrown in. The latter two interviews were far less structured than in first round and really more about getting to know how you'd fit in Bain.

I enjoyed the process and all the people I met, and have accepted my offer.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Bain & Company

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Bain & Company (London, England (UK)).

Interview

Standard online application, was requested to do an online assessment straight away. A few weeks later was invited to a first round interview in London office.

First round interviews consisted of 2 one-to-one interviews. One was a CV + market sizing interview, another was a P&L case.

Was invited to the final round, which consisted of 3 one-to-one interviews. One was a written asessment (given 20 slides to read through in 35 minutes, had to answer several prompts and had to fill in 6 blank slides and present to a manager). Another was a standard case interview with a manager. The last one I did was a CV + short case with a partner.

Interview Questions

• First round: Why Bain, Why Consulting
      Final round: What were you most proud of   Answer Question

Associate Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Munich, Bayern (Germany)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Bain & Company (Munich, Bayern (Germany)) in November 2017.

Interview

1. Unternehmenspräsentation, 2. Personal Fit Interview , 3. + 4. Case Interview

Der 1. Teil des Auswahlprozesses für den Festeinstieg findet an einem Tag statt an einem Bain Standort gemeinsam mit anderen Bewerbern statt. Der Tag beginnt mit einer etwa einstündigen Unternehmenspräsentation, bei der man schon mal einige Fragen loswerden kann in entspannter Atmosphäre. Anschließend folgt zuerst das Personal Fit Interview, danach zwei Case Interviews. Alle Gesprächspartner waren angenehm und fair. Insbesondere beim Personal Fit hatte ich das Gefühl, dass der Interviewer Interesse an einem gegenseitigen Kennenlernen hatte. Die Case Interviews waren anspruchsvoll und es wird ein großer Wert auf den quantitativen Teil gelegt. Zügiges und sicheres Kopfrechnen ist auf jeden Fall Pflicht. Außerdem, wie bei anderen Beratungen, ein strukturiertes Vorgehen und eine gute Kommunikation. Es wird auch viel Wert auf ein aktives Vorgehen des Interviewees gelegt, also den Interviewer durch den Case zu leiten.

Interview Questions

• Warum möchten Sie in der Beratung arbeiten? Warum möchten Sie zu Bain?
      Erzählen Sie von sich.   Answer Question

Associate Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Bain & Company.

Interview

Did it online from NY because position was in LA. They did everything possible to ensure I was on equal playing field with everyone else. Called the very next day to discuss results. Very courteous.

Interview Questions

• All case questions in the first round so prepare for cases.   Answer Question

Associate Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Bain & Company (London, England (UK)) in November 2017.

Interview

Very nice people - Market Sizing and CV interview (45 mins) followed by Case study and CV interview (45 mins) - two different young ACs who had been at Bain for about a year and a half so far. Both were friendly and helpful at leading through the cases.

Interview Questions

• Estimate the annual revenues of the average bike shop.
      Tell me about x aspect of your CV
      Why Bain? Why consulting?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Bain & Company (London, England (UK)) in November 2017.

Interview

Two 1 on 1 interviews at the London office. First was market sizing, second was a case study. You are given quite a lot of guidance for both interviews. Also was asked a lot of questions on my CV.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself and your motivations for a career in consulting.   Answer Question

Application

Interview

I've applied online (CV, Cover letter and online application). The next day I was asked to complete an online math test within 2 days (simple word problems with graphs; %, ratios etc). A week later I was invited to the first round interview (booked time slot within 2 weeks of available options). I came 15min early for my time slot so I was taken to the waiting room for candidates (10-12 of us) where I was asked to sign a n/d agreement and given a piece of paper with my scheduled interviewers (1 Associate consultant and 1 Consultant) (was hinted to LinkedIn them while waiting). After which half the group was taken upstairs and each person was allocated into a small office room. The two interviews were one after the other and each lasted 35 min. The first was experience Qs (Why consulting? If not then what? Tell me about about your greatest achievement and why? Tell me more about X on your CV) with the last 15min a market sizing question (What is the revenue of X public company; with following questions If you had more time what other things would you consider; which would you fact check?) then last few questions were for me to ask the interviewer. The second interview was a few experience Qs then a full on interviewer-led business case with graphs, a market sizing question (what is the market size for X product), a break-even volume calculation and mostly brain storming type of questions (what factors would you consider...? What things are included in cost? How should the company differentiate themselves?) Once all the questions are answered, the interviewer will give you a few minutes for you to ask him/her Qs.
    The interviewers are very nice and helpful so don't panic if you're stuck/make a mistake! Bain is more interested in fit (my friend who got onto the next round wrote down the wrong number and made a maths mistake - which the interviewer pointed out so she just simply corrected herself). Be calm and explain your maths out loud :)

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Bain & Company (Baltimore, MD) in October 2017.

Interview

Applied online with a resume & cover letter for the Bain. Had one day of first-round interviews which consisted of two 30 minute interviews with consultants from the DC office. Each was very heavily focused on the case (5 minutes of personal, 25 minutes of case). One of the cases was a prepared case, and the other case was just a case that the consultant was currently working on. They were very nice; it was a great experience for my first time doing a case interview.

Application

Interview

CV and cover letter followed by online tests.

First interview round: 2 interviews, 45 mins each.
    Interview 1: Case study question on whether to enter the refurbished phone market. Very little information given, follow-up questions not answered.

Interview 2: 'informal' interview. Chatting about university , challenged on why you took certain actions and what you would have done differently.

Very friendly interviewers.

Associate Consultant Interview

Interview

I interviewed the first-round interview at Bain & Company (London, England). It was two 45 minutes back-to-back interview with two consultants. The first one is a mixture of behavioural questions and a minicase. The second one is a business case.