Bain & Company Associate Consultant Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Aug 14, 2017

3.7

372 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Bain & Company (Los Angeles, CA) in October 2016.

Interview

Applied in college. Selected and invited to a case workshop with all first round invitees. On-campus interview with 2 rounds. Each round is 30 minutes case interview with a consultant on a case he or she has worked on before.

Interview Questions

• Case questions, one on a pub with losing revenue and one on whether a billionaire should invest in a sport arena   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Bain & Company

Associate Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Bain & Company in October 2016.

Interview

After resume and recruitment events for PhD students, I was invited to the Bain interviews in NYC. It consisted of 2 case studies, both relatively straightforward. One concerned a rental car operation's consideration of other business models, the other a grocery store's competitive response to increased competition. Both interviews included ample time for discussion about your experiences and questions as well.

I would not that of the 6 interviewees at my slot, (very surprisingly) I was the only one who had case interviews, so sometimes they may just do behavioral.

They were kind, humble, smart, and professional, more so than others (e.g. BCG). I would actually work for Bain!

Associate Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Bain & Company in October 2016.

Interview

Two rounds of interview. Both have case interview and fit portion. First round had two interviews. Second round had three interviews, one was with a partner. Make sure you practice case interview beforehand

Interview Questions

• Tell me something you are most proud of on your resume
      Tell me something you like to do outside of work   Answer Question

Associate Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Bain & Company in October 2016.

Interview

I interviewed through on-campus recruiting. There were first two 45 minute case interviews with a couple of behavioral questions. Then I was flown out to their office and did 4 30 minute interviews. 3 of them were case interviews and the other was behavioral. The second round was less standard and it became clear that social fit was being assessed just as much as case performance.

Associate Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Bain & Company in October 2016.

Interview

On-campus interview after applying through my university's career center and networking with alumni. Had 2 business cases but didn't go through to the next round. The cases weren't too difficulty but based on my experience, a lot was placed on fit. Good process overall - the team was welcoming and seemed interested in your background. The process is competitive but it's definitely worth trying.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Bain & Company (Washington, DC) in October 2016.

Interview

The first interview consisted of two 30 minute interviews back to back where I was asked only a couple background questions before going straight into cases. The cases were relatively simple and the interviewers just wanted to hear my thought process. Definitely be prepared for these though.

Interview Questions

• They asked me why I wanted to apply to Bain with my background   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, NC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Bain & Company (Durham, NC) in September 2016.

Interview

Got a first round interview scheduled 4 days after applying through my university. There was a case prep workshop and reception beforehand in which we got to meet our interviewers. The interview was 2 30 min. case studies. To accommodate time for questions, I had one behavioral question in the first interview ("Tell me about yourself") and none in the second one. The cases were both of medium difficulty - the first was more quantitative and the second was more strategy.

Interview Questions

• How would you size the casual dining industry in the U.S.?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Bain & Company (San Francisco, CA) in September 2016.

Interview

The interview was from an on campus application process. The first round interview was two interviews back to back with cases and behavioral questions. Case questions composed of marketing sizing, new market entrance and some basic number crunching. Overall the cases were straightforward and easy to follow. I got very off on the non-traditional marketing sizing question tho. If you have enough time left-over after your case, the interviewer will give you some basic resume questions or fit questions.

Interview Questions

• Why Bain? What is your most important leadership position?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Bain & Company (Dallas, TX) in September 2016.

Interview

Applied through campus recruiting. First round was two 45 minute cases, no behavioral. Cases were real life applications that each consultant had worked on, so they were very open ended. Heavy focus on making logical assumptions and math skills.

Interview Questions

• 7/11 is planning on moving the slurpee outside of just 7/11 stores. How would you advise them?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Bain & Company (San Francisco, CA) in September 2016.

Interview

-general info session on campus- + -sign up for coffee chats
    1.Online Portal (school recruiting)

-if made it past 1, invited to info sessions about first round expectations- focus on cases

2. First Round

-if made it past 2, invited to info sessions about second round expectations- slightly more personal

3. Final Round
    -Yay! or Not

overall, a very well thought out/planned process.

Interview Questions

• Typical case/personal questions
      Very friendly teams/recruiters   1 Answer

See What Bain & Company Employees Are Saying

StarStarStarStarStar   Former Associate Consultant in New York, NY

Pros: “- Fantastic, systematized and structured culture of feedback, so you always know where you stand on areas of development and are encouraged to create plans to become better...”“- Fantastic, systematized and structured culture of feedback, so you always know where you stand on areas of development and are encouraged to create plans to become better - Apprenticeship model allows you to learn on the job, so all backgrounds can do well at Bain if you try hard enough -Senior leadership on teams are wonderful people who seem to care about the most junior people, so you never *feel* junior in the presence of partners, firm heads, etc. Most care a lot about sustainability, and that helps create a culture of valuing people's free time outside of work and not working people to the bone with ridiculous hours (however, that doesn't mean that if the case is demanding, you won't be staying up until 2 or 3AM, but unnecessary hours for low-priority tasks/facetime is not a concept at Bain) -You learn so much as an AC and get a terrific introduction into the business world. If you're not a quantitative person, this is especially great, because you will get great training in working with data, thinking in numbers, and being detailed oriented. -Amazing network and exit opportunities” – Full Review