Bain & Company Associate Consultant Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Bain & Company Associate Consultant Interview Questions

Updated May 10, 2017

3.7

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Bain & Company (Boston, MA) in August 2016.

Interview

Two rounds of interviews:
First round on campus, two 30-minute case interviews with a tiny bit of fit questions.
Second round at Bain & Co. in Boston, two 45-minute case interviews with more fit questions.
All interviewers were extremely friendly and easygoing. All cases were fairly straightforward, but second round was more interviewee-led than first round.

Interview Questions

• A mid-tier department store is considering launching an online high-end menswear store. What factors should they consider?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Bain & Company

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Bain & Company (New York, NY).

Interview

First round was very simple behavioral questions. If you've read Case in Point, this should be relatively easy and it lasts about 15-20 minutes via phone (I applied from abroad). The next round involved a mental math test to assess quantitative skills. this too was pretty easy since the math wasn't too complicated. The final two rounds were case interviews that lasted between 30 - 45 minutes. Th first 5 minutes of the interview are spent introducing yourself to the interview and vice versa, trying to build some rapport.

Interview Questions

• Nothing in the interview was out of the ordinary. No ridiculous brainteasers or curveball behavioral questions. It was all very straightforward if you've prepped - the only prep I did was read Case in Point and have one practice case interview with a friend.   1 Answer

Negotiation

It was an internship so I had very little leeway in terms of negotiating anything, but they're very generous.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Bain & Company (San Francisco, CA) in February 2016.

Interview

First round was two case studies with associate consultants, which were very straightforward. Second round was three case studies - two purely case and one half fit and half case - with principals and managers. The second round was much, much harder than the first - there was a bit of stress-testing (one of the interviewers was purposefully very cold, I think, to see how you would react). Throughout the process, everyone was very friendly - in the end, I was told I didn't make the cut because I was too nervous, and they told my other friend she asked too many questions that made her seem cautious. Overall, for the second round I think everyone is extremely qualified on doing well on the case, so you just need to make sure you seem really really confident on top of that.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Bain & Company (Washington, DC) in February 2016.

Interview

The first round interview consisted of two 30 minute cases by separate interviewers, along with some basic behavioural or get to know you questions. The cases were not too technical but there was a lot of emphasis on structure. Make sure you practice live cases and focus on presenting a structure before you begin answering each case.

Associate Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Bain & Company in February 2016.

Interview

Two back to back 30 minute case interviews, with five minutes at the end for general chit chat. Interviewers were both pretty direct and almost impatient during the cases, but completely opened up and were friendly at the end. Got a call no less than five hours later saying they had enjoyed my interviews but couldn't pass me through. Nice that they gave me feedback as well, but felt a bit weird that they had made decisions that quickly.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Bain & Company (Boston, MA) in January 2016.

Interview

First round interview was two 20 minutes interviews. Second round was two 40 minutes interviews. The interviewer were very nice but all the questions were very vague. A lot of the time they were asking for me to brainstorm ideas/recommendation but not actually prove them.

Interview Questions

• Would you choose a price-based costing or cost-based pricing strategy for a laser printer? why?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Bain & Company (New York, NY) in January 2016.

Interview

Very friendly interviewers. I have interviewed with three other top tier consulting firms and I never felt more welcome. My interviewers never tried to trip me up or make me feel on edge. Instead they were respectful and fun to case with. First round interview took place over video conference and second and final round in-person.

Interview Questions

• Started off with market sizing questions and moved on to more complex supply chain management problems.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Bain & Company (Washington, DC) in January 2016.

Interview

First round was an on-campus interview consisting of two cases (with time leftover for behavioral) with two different managers. Second round was on-site at your top-ranked office preference, two cases with two different partners. After submitting an application, the actual interview process had a very quick turnaround -- I received an offer less than two weeks after hearing I was selected for a first-round interview.

Interview Questions

• Typical Bain-style cases, with handouts displaying charts and information. One on a restaurant franchise, one on "superhero" pharmaceuticals, a supply-chain case in an industrial plant, a casino case with a market-sizing component.   1 Answer

Negotiation

I waited to formally accept until I had heard back from another firm. But before I heard back, I realized that I wanted to accept Bain's offer regardless of whether or not I received the other offer. I did not attempt to negotiate salary.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Bain & Company (New York, NY) in January 2016.

Interview

One of the best interview experience I've ever had! Applied online from a non-target early October and got invited to a first round interview beginning of January. First round consisted of two 30 minutes interviews with Associate Consultants and Consultants in the Boston office. Cases were pretty straight forward (breakeven and profitability) that took around 20 minutes with 10ish minutes at the end dedicated to fit questions. Second round were two 45 minutes interview with recruiting Partners (30 minutes case, 15 minutes fit). First round was a bit on the easier side if you prepare, perhaps 6/10 in terms of difficulty with second round being a bit more difficult (8/10). Honestly, it would be fine if you do the usual consulting prep.

Interview Questions

• Why Bain?
      Why (the region that you applied)?
      Tell me about yourself
      Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Bain & Company (Chicago, IL).

Interview

First round was on-campus. Two 30-minute interviews, each devoting about 25 minutes to the case and the last 5 for my questions. Cases were very chart-heavy and math-focused, but there was also quite a lot of strategy. More straightforward than some of the BCG and McKinsey cases I'd done. Very much interviewee-led, but interviewers were both very helpful. Got a call back around 8pm the day of my interview.
    Having made it through the first round several Bain ACs reached out and offered help with case prep and any questions I had about the company. They were really incredibly helpful and it made me much more comfortable with the process.
    Second round was three more 30 minute case interviews following a similar format. They didn't follow as much of the typical case structure and were a lot more difficult/nuanced than first round cases. There was also a 30-minute "fit" interview, which felt much more like a casual conversation than an interview. No really probing questions - much more just seeking to get a feel for who I am as a person and my potential fit with Bain. Got an email at 7pm on the day of the interview from the partner I'd interviewed with.

Interview Questions

• Case interviews - graph and chart heavy relative to BCG or McKinsey cases   Answer Question