Bain & Company Associate Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Bain & Company Associate Interview Questions

Updated Mar 10, 2017

3.6

Associate Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Bain & Company.

Interview

I applied for an international office, received a phone interview but was conducted by an US office. there were two back to back phone interviews. Each were 30 minutes. two different people called in. The first one we just jumped into the case right away. The second one asked me to tell him about myself.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Bain & Company

Associate Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Bain & Company in September 2015.

Interview

1st round interviews on campus. 2nd round on campus if selected. Both first round interviews consisted of a case. Neither focused on behavioral aspect. Pleasant experience overall, really great people at the firm but highly competitive.

Interview Questions

• Case involving private equity purchasing a private chain of companies.   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Bain & Company.

Interview

First Round Interview: Two case interviews. I completely failed one of them and did all right with the other. Basically, I was ill-prepared and not comfortable with being able to think structurally. However, the Bain consultants were extremely friendly and supportive and provided great feedback and support.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Bain & Company (New York, NY) in October 2013.

Interview

Applied online. First round interview in NYC office. 2 30-minute cases.

Interview Questions

• Normal profitability case. Most difficult questions are brainstorming questions that test creativity. Quantitative questions are easy.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Bain & Company (Chicago, IL) in January 2013.

Interview

Whole interview process was very standard by big consulting firm standards. First round was at our business school and second round at the offices. Everyone was extremely friendly and helpful. Recruiters made entire process very clear and straight forward with no surprises as to what to expect.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation. Standard offer for all summer associates.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Bain & Company (Los Angeles, CA) in October 2011.

Interview

Bain & Company rarely interviews PhD candidates for associate positions, so I was surprised and flattered to land this interview at all. I attribute my success mainly to meeting a partner from Bain & Company for coffee who was one of the first PhD hires ever at Bain and also an alumnus at the institute where I am pursuing graduate studies. This partner was so impressed with me that she/he told me I had to apply.

The interview was standard consulting fare. There were two back-to-back case interviews. The first one with with an engagement-manger level associate, and the second one was with a principal level consultant. I had great rapport with my first interviewer; he even told me about the time half the office dressed up like vikings and "pillaged" the other employers with plastic weaponry. My first interviewer even remarked that I was not their typical interviewee, but he noted that the partner I met had recommended me.

From the start, my second interviewer seemed disinterested in me in general. He gave me a case, but he preceding it by telling me it would not very serious or structured. He delivered on his promise and the case was pretty open-ended. He didn't even ask me to sum up my findings when it was over. We had some pleasant Q&A after the case, but I could sense that he was just clearly not interested in hiring me.

The nicest thing about Bain & Company is that they call you right away. They don't leave you hanging in any sense; I got the rejection call that same evening--I was expecting a rejection of course. My first interviewer made the call--no doubt since he actually like me. He told me it was great to meet me, but that I wasn't "at the level they needed me to be at" for a call-back to interview for round two. I'm not sure that feedback was particularly helpful, but I did appreciate the quick phone call.

Interview Questions

• A major chemical distribution firm wants to grow its business. How to approach outlining a growth strategy for them?   1 Answer
    • A major casino company has been losing revenues over the past two years. How would you approach figuring out why?   1 Answer

Associate Interview

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Bain & Company in September 2008.

Interview

The interview consisted of two one on one interviews. Each interview was thirty minutes long and consisted of some personal questions and then a quick case. Interviewers were very polite. There were other students interviewing at the same time throughout the whole day. They let you know the results the next day.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for bain   1 Answer

Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Bain & Company (London, England (UK)) in October 2016.

Interview

The interview went better than I expected. The interviewers were friendly and helpful.
    No opportunity to reschedule the interview (mine was scheduled at an inconvenient time for me).
    A positive experience overall. Plan on re-applying next year.

Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Bain & Company (London, England (UK)) in September 2016.

Interview

Online test: volume of questions insurmountable, difficulty of questions moderate/easy
    First round: part i) evaluate synergies of potential merger ii) market sizing and revenue estimation of an opera house
    Final round: part i) growth strategy ii) new market entry into pensions iii) profits case on credit card company

All quite friendly, typical Bain exhibits (marimekko charts) and ostensibly missing a key piece of information.

Associate Interview

Interview

I initially contacted the recruitment team with an email. They got straight back to me. After some time communicating electronically they offered me to do the case study in their office. Overall very good and friendly. Discussing my CV and my previous experiences. Having done the preparation no unexpected questions. Moscow office case study was reasonably hard.

Interview Questions

• As it was said above Moscow office case study was reasonably hard. However, nothing to be feared. The largest question on the case study was the calculation of cost apportionment. My advise, practice doing calculations by hand. It is essential that you do it quick. Otherwise you run out of time.   Answer Question