Bain & Company Interview Questions in Boston, MA | Glassdoor

Updated May 4, 2017

3.4

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Bain & Company (Boston, MA) in December 2016.

Interview

The process consisted of two back-to-back interviews with two people at a time. This seemed strange to me, as both groups asked me virtually the same questions. I'd recommend that the company reassess the process. There was a brief walk-through tour, and then I was led back to the lobby. Most of the questions were asking me to elaborate on items on my resume.

Interview Questions

• Why did you apply/what interests you about Bain? Explain x on your resume. What skills can you bring to Bain?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Bain & Company (Boston, MA) in November 2016.

Interview

I was invited to a first round interview on campus: there were two 45 minute interviewer led cases with recruiters, with no behavioral questions.
    I moved on to the final round interview at their office: here there were three 45 minute interviewee led cases with recruiters plus behavioral questions. The cases weren't conventional, they were much more open ended

Interview Questions

• There was a market sizing question, a purchasing question, and a profitability question.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Bain & Company (Boston, MA) in October 2016.

Interview

Applied through my university, process took around 2 weeks. Got called in for a first round interview - 2 30 minute interviews with different people. The first guy was nice and friendly, and he dived straight into a case interview, the second guy was more serious and asked some fit questions as well. I had a good time giving my first interview, though I made quite a few nervous errors which certainly cost me.

Interview Questions

• What is the feasibility of opening a food truck on your college campus?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Bain & Company (Boston, MA) in October 2016.

Interview

Overall a very positive and supportive experience- I got advice and feedback from full-time consultants along the way. First round was two brain-storm style cases (there's not enough time to do a really complicated case). Second round was slightly more in depth, but they still encourage you to get creative. Very few behavioral questions in each. Very competitive process, so there's a bit of luck involved no matter what.

Interview Questions

• How would your friends describe you? What would they say is your weakness?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Bain & Company (Boston, MA) in October 2016.

Interview

Candidates usually go through 2 rounds of case interviews. Behavioral interview was reduced to about 5 min...not too many questions. Overall a positive experience, but prepare beforehand! Preparation is immensely helpful.

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Bain & Company (Boston, MA) in August 2016.

Interview

Two rounds of interviews:
    First round on campus, two 30-minute case interviews with a tiny bit of fit questions.
    Second round at Bain & Co. in Boston, two 45-minute case interviews with more fit questions.
    All interviewers were extremely friendly and easygoing. All cases were fairly straightforward, but second round was more interviewee-led than first round.

Interview Questions

• A mid-tier department store is considering launching an online high-end menswear store. What factors should they consider?   Answer Question

Senior Graphics Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at Bain & Company (Boston, MA) in August 2016.

Interview

Last August, I applied for this position which was basically a presentation production role. I have twenty years of experience designing/developing presentations so naturally I earned an initial phone screening. One of the questions she asked me was "Tell me about a time when your attention to detail made you successful!" She was impressed with me enough to schedule me for a phone interview with another person who also asked me "Tell me about a time when your attention to detail made you successful!" She in turn scheduled me to come in to their Boston office for an interview. After first making me perform a PPT test (to prove I haven't faked my career?), I met briefly with her she left the room after conferencing in another person from their NY office, who proceeded to ask me "Tell me about a time when your attention to detail made you successful!" The following week I got a voicemail saying they are still considering me but due to Labor Day "things have slowed down" so it may be awhile before I hear anything. NEVER heard from them again. A few weeks ago I noticed they were again advertising the same job. I applied only to use my cover letter to let them know what I think of them. I received an email saying that the woman who was in charge of sending me a rejection email had left the company before doing so and they apologize for the oversight. As for why I wasn't chosen for the job, she said, "I am unable to comment on the reasons as to why your candidacy had not been successful at the time." I remember a time when it was standard procedure to tell candidates what part of their background or personality fell short (I can recall being told everything way back when, from "she just didn't like you" to "you seemed too serious"). She then regurgitated the standard "looking at your resume right now, I can say that your previous experience and qualifications, though impressive, do not quite match the requirements of the current role. We therefore unfortunately will not proceed with your application any further." Putting aside the fact that this is a job I've done for half my life, explain to me how I was qualified enough last August for three rounds of interviews, but I am suddenly completely unqualified for the exact same role? I've concluded one of two scenarios here. (a) This job was completely fake, only posted to satisfy EEOC regulations (they had an office full of graphics coordinators so it would only seem logical that the promotion would go to someone in that group). (b) They didn't know how massively OLD I was until I came in to their office on that third interview; now that they are aware of how old I am, they clearly want nothing to do with me. Boston is second only to Silicon Valley in its hostility towards older workers -- "old" being over 35 (Just look at the video in the banner above full of twentysomethings).

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when your attention to detail made you successful X 3   Answer Question

Training Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Bain & Company (Boston, MA) in August 2016.

Interview

A phone screen with a recruiter and two rounds of in-person interviews with two different groups of people. My process moved quickly, I think much more quickly than usual, but my recruiter was incredibly responsive, accommodating, and professional throughout. My experience left me with a fantastic impression of the company and I was excited to accept my offer.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time that you had to take responsibility for something that went wrong.   Answer Question

Help Desk Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Bain & Company (Boston, MA) in July 2016.

Interview

Had a phone interview and first round interview. 1:1 interview had me talking to 4 different people, one being a conference call. Got a call for final round of interview a day after. Overall, average interview process; it took about one hour and thirty minutes total. The final round will take two hours.

Interview Questions

• Three Strengths, weakness, why bain and basic interview questions of that sort.   Answer Question

Manager, TSG Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Bain & Company (Boston, MA) in July 2016.

Interview

The process was very quick - less than three weeks from beginning to end. I interviewed online through a recruiter. Had a brief call with the recruiter who passed my resume along to the hiring manager. Had two phone screens before coming onsite; one with an HR person and the other with the hiring manager. Shortly after that, I was invited in for a full day of face-to-face interviews...three days later I had an offer letter. They were great to deal with, received updates every step of the way from the HR person and the recruiter.

Interview Questions

• Mostly personality/skill set questions that related to the job. This is a corporate position so didn't have to go through the case study process that they do on the consultant side.   Answer Question