Bain & Company Interview Questions in Chicago, IL | Glassdoor

Bain & Company Interview Questions in Chicago, IL

Updated Jan 31, 2017

3.8

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Bain & Company (Chicago, IL) in January 2017.

Interview

I knew a contact for an office outside of the US. After a couple of 30 minute conversations about consulting he gave me the chance to apply via his referral. I was contacted three months later for a first round interview in Chicago. This interview consisted of two - 30 minute cases. Both were about profitability. One had to do with the application of a new technology and the other focused on discovering the cause for declining revenue in a company. Final rounds consisted of two - 40 minute cases in New York. Similar questions but more ambiguous and open-ended. They really wanted to know the methodology uses to find the answers I put forth.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Bain & Company (Chicago, IL).

Interview

Applied through campus. First round had two cases back to back. One case had a lot of charts and data...the other one was a bit unstructured. One of my interviewers looked bored and constantly kept playing with his mobile and preferred to look at his phone while I was answering him. Don't interview people if you are not interested.

ACI Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Bain & Company (Chicago, IL) in November 2016.

Interview

applied through my school's career advancement website. on campus interview, 2 back to back 30 min cases with different interviewers. the behavioral component was minimal. both interviewers were extremely friendly and helpful

Interview Questions

• 2 cases regarding growth/profitability and market sizing   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Bain & Company (Chicago, IL) in October 2016.

Interview

Two 30 minute case interviews on campus then they flew me to their office where I had one 30 minute fit interview (very laid back, more of a conversation about past work and I asked a ton of questions) and 3 30 minute case interviews. They called me that evening with an offer.

Summer Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Bain & Company (Chicago, IL) in October 2016.

Interview

I got the interview through personal contacts. Bain later came to our school to help interview prep. After a month, I got called back for a first round of 2 phone interview back to back. Points of contact were very helpful and accommodating. Decisions were communicated on the same day.

Interview Questions

• First round was two cases back to back, both acquisition cases. wasn't asked any behavioral questions.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Bain & Company (Chicago, IL) in October 2016.

Interview

The first round was on campus, and consisted of two 30 minute cases adapted from the interviewers' actual experiences. Both were really nice and helpful, although the cases were interviewee-led, and left a few minutes at the end for questions. There were no behavioral questions, and the cases weren't particularly difficult. They called all candidates with the decision that same night.

Interview Questions

• A case about reversing profits, and another about cutting costs   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Bain & Company (Chicago, IL).

Interview

First round was on-campus. Two 30-minute interviews, each devoting about 25 minutes to the case and the last 5 for my questions. Cases were very chart-heavy and math-focused, but there was also quite a lot of strategy. More straightforward than some of the BCG and McKinsey cases I'd done. Very much interviewee-led, but interviewers were both very helpful. Got a call back around 8pm the day of my interview.
    Having made it through the first round several Bain ACs reached out and offered help with case prep and any questions I had about the company. They were really incredibly helpful and it made me much more comfortable with the process.
    Second round was three more 30 minute case interviews following a similar format. They didn't follow as much of the typical case structure and were a lot more difficult/nuanced than first round cases. There was also a 30-minute "fit" interview, which felt much more like a casual conversation than an interview. No really probing questions - much more just seeking to get a feel for who I am as a person and my potential fit with Bain. Got an email at 7pm on the day of the interview from the partner I'd interviewed with.

Interview Questions

• Case interviews - graph and chart heavy relative to BCG or McKinsey cases   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Bain & Company (Chicago, IL).

Interview

2 rounds. 2 interviews in the first round, 4 interviews in the second round. The written round is challenging but very reflective of the kind of work consultant will be tasked with on the job.

One fit interview in the second round.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Bain & Company (Chicago, IL).

Interview

In the first round, there will be two short cases lasting about 30 min each. Both are normal cases. Besides the cases, you might be asked some simple behavioral questions or just go through your resume.

Interview Questions

• One is about M&A, and the other one is about profits decline.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Bain & Company (Chicago, IL) in October 2015.

Interview

Round 1 in Chicago - Interviewed on campus. Two pretty standard consulting interviews of 45 minutes each, but was surprised by the very limited time devoted to the fit / behavioral portion. In fact, one of the interviewers jumped straight into the case. Cases were fairly straightforward, but pay close attention to the interviewers' cues. Interviewers were very friendly and helpful. Good experience overall.