Bain & Company Consultant Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Bain & Company Consultant Interview Questions

Updated Mar 21, 2017

3.8

Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Bain & Company.

Interview

Two rounds of in-person interviews: two interviews in the first round (both case-based) and three for the second (one written, one case, one fit). I was notified the evening after my first interview that I was invited back for the second round, and I believe there was only one or two weeks between the two. I very much enjoyed speaking with each of my interviewers, and was even more excited for the position after leaving each round. The fit and case portions of each interview was much more conversational than my experience at other firms.

Interview Questions

• Expect the interviewers to push back on your answers to see how you respond.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Bain & Company

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Bain & Company (Chicago, IL).

Interview

Applied through campus. First round had two cases back to back. One case had a lot of charts and data...the other one was a bit unstructured. One of my interviewers looked bored and constantly kept playing with his mobile and preferred to look at his phone while I was answering him. Don't interview people if you are not interested.

Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Bain & Company.

Interview

Skype Interview, two rounds, two cases.
    First case was a cost based case. The interview was very relaxed. However, the connection was poor, we were interrupted more than once which was anoying to both of us. The second interview was more group oriented with a case that required a lot of asking to obtain the information. Again, skype didn't do me a favor.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you disappointed other poeple you worked in a team with.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Bain & Company (Los Angeles, CA) in October 2016.

Interview

I am currently an MBA candidate and applied for a full-time position as a Consultant; both interviews were held in the Bain office. I submitted my cover letter and resume online and was notified of my interview opportunity about a week later. The interview process and decision happened so quickly -- spoke volumes about the company culture and internal efficiency, imho.

I had my first interview on a Monday with two different people, both sessions about 45-minutes in length. The first was a typical strategy case. I was not asked very many behavioral questions; instead, the practitioner gave me time at the end to ask him questions. My second interview had one market sizing case, and one general strategy case with no numbers, just brainstorming/idea generation. Again, no significant behavioral questions asked here. My hypothesis is that they were gauging my overall "fit" throughout the case and in my general interaction.

I had my final round on Friday, which consisted of the dreaded "written case." All in all, fantastic experience, and I actually had a great time chatting with the partners -- not sure why I was so nervous. You spend about 50 minutes with a 40-slide deck on a client problem and do a predetermined set of calculations, then make a recommendation complete with risks and next steps/mitigations. You present the recommendation to the partners for about 10-15 minutes, then they ask questions for the remainder of the time. I made a few miscalculations, but they were really patient as I talked through my math and redid some of the quant stuff. I think the key here is to remain calm and professional, as they are testing your client readiness. Then we wrapped up with a couple of questions I had for them.

I got the offer call on Saturday. Literally took a week from start to finish! I was amazed.

Interview Questions

• What did you learn from your summer internship?   1 Answer

Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Bain & Company in October 2016.

Interview

Apply online through campus. Got an email after about a week informing me of the 1st round interview in Chicago. They were willing to cover the travel expenses.
    Pretty standard case interviews*2, only one resume-based question in the beginning. The interviewers were genial and guided me through the whole cases. One case was about new market entry and another was about profitability analysis. The cases were not that difficult but did involve some tricky questions.
    This was my first case interview and I didn't have much time to actually practice a whole case so I failed to make it to next round. Feedback received one day later.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your internship experience at X company. (resume-based)   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Bain & Company (Washington, DC) in September 2016.

Interview

2 Case studies by different people. One of them was a mergers and aquisitions case study which asked about the synergies resulting from merging. And the other was asking for a way to decrease cost in order to increase profit margin. Overall, the interview was moderately difficult. And, they focus a lot on mental math and being able to structure the case.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Bain & Company (Los Angeles, CA) in September 2016.

Interview

Couldn't make the in-person first-round interviews, so I had 2 back-to-back phone interviews. Each consisted of a case + minimal "fit" questions, and time for Q&A at the end. No curve balls-- process was as expected.

Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Bain & Company.

Interview

Standard case interview via business school hiring; they came to my school, and I got the job through there. I had to do all the standard networking, then first round was 3 cases, final round was another 3 including the written case.

Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Bain & Company in March 2016.

Interview

Have more than 24 years of international banking in U.S. and Asia in a top management position, as ceo of an independent financial and international business advisory and consulting company.

Can help clients find solutions in their management problems or challenges.

Interview Questions

• Why you seek a consulting position in China?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Bain & Company (New York, NY) in December 2015.

Interview

The interviews are based on cases and behavioral questions. The cases are in typical Bain format in which the interviewee has to lead the case. The cases are generally not as challenging as with some other firms, but Bain assesses candidates based on drive, structure of thoughts, communication skills, ability to get close to strangers, and independence of thinkers.