Bain & Company Consultant Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Oct 12, 2017

3.8

114 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Consultant Interview

Interview

2 case interviews back-to-back (1 with a consultant, 1 with a principal). Both interviewers were friendly and helpful which made the whole process an enjoyable one. The first case was a pretty standard one--particularly for Bain, and focused on whether the client, a Private Equity firm, should invest in a company (and involved some market analysis and profitability calculations). The other case was more of a brainstorming session on the major factors affecting customer demand for a particular good. There were some basic fit questions interspersed but overall the interviews were heavily case focused.

Interview Questions

• Why are you interested in consulting? What other careers have you considered?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Bain & Company

Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Bain & Company.

Interview

2 rounds of interview for a total of 4 interviews. Each interview consists of 5-10 minutes fit interview and ~30 minutes of case interviews. First round is typically with consultants and managers. Final round is with partners

Interview Questions

• Tell us about your leadership experience
      Why did you apply to [this particular office location]
      Case interview   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

Interview

It was fast and efficient, everyone was very nice. Started with a phone screen and then met with ten people over the course of two interviews. Many behavior based questions were used.

Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Bain & Company.

Interview

Two rounds of in-person interviews: two interviews in the first round (both case-based) and three for the second (one written, one case, one fit). I was notified the evening after my first interview that I was invited back for the second round, and I believe there was only one or two weeks between the two. I very much enjoyed speaking with each of my interviewers, and was even more excited for the position after leaving each round. The fit and case portions of each interview was much more conversational than my experience at other firms.

Interview Questions

• Expect the interviewers to push back on your answers to see how you respond.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Bain & Company (San Francisco, CA) in January 2017.

Interview

Two case interviews back to back. Typical cases can be expected. Worked with a consultant and a principal. They were both very cordial and professional. One of them followed up with a phone call to give helpful feedback.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Bain & Company (Chicago, IL).

Interview

Applied through campus. First round had two cases back to back. One case had a lot of charts and data...the other one was a bit unstructured. One of my interviewers looked bored and constantly kept playing with his mobile and preferred to look at his phone while I was answering him. Don't interview people if you are not interested.

Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Bain & Company.

Interview

Skype Interview, two rounds, two cases.
    First case was a cost based case. The interview was very relaxed. However, the connection was poor, we were interrupted more than once which was anoying to both of us. The second interview was more group oriented with a case that required a lot of asking to obtain the information. Again, skype didn't do me a favor.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you disappointed other poeple you worked in a team with.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Bain & Company (Los Angeles, CA) in October 2016.

Interview

I am currently an MBA candidate and applied for a full-time position as a Consultant; both interviews were held in the Bain office. I submitted my cover letter and resume online and was notified of my interview opportunity about a week later. The interview process and decision happened so quickly -- spoke volumes about the company culture and internal efficiency, imho.

I had my first interview on a Monday with two different people, both sessions about 45-minutes in length. The first was a typical strategy case. I was not asked very many behavioral questions; instead, the practitioner gave me time at the end to ask him questions. My second interview had one market sizing case, and one general strategy case with no numbers, just brainstorming/idea generation. Again, no significant behavioral questions asked here. My hypothesis is that they were gauging my overall "fit" throughout the case and in my general interaction.

I had my final round on Friday, which consisted of the dreaded "written case." All in all, fantastic experience, and I actually had a great time chatting with the partners -- not sure why I was so nervous. You spend about 50 minutes with a 40-slide deck on a client problem and do a predetermined set of calculations, then make a recommendation complete with risks and next steps/mitigations. You present the recommendation to the partners for about 10-15 minutes, then they ask questions for the remainder of the time. I made a few miscalculations, but they were really patient as I talked through my math and redid some of the quant stuff. I think the key here is to remain calm and professional, as they are testing your client readiness. Then we wrapped up with a couple of questions I had for them.

I got the offer call on Saturday. Literally took a week from start to finish! I was amazed.

Interview Questions

• What did you learn from your summer internship?   1 Answer

Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Bain & Company in October 2016.

Interview

Apply online through campus. Got an email after about a week informing me of the 1st round interview in Chicago. They were willing to cover the travel expenses.
    Pretty standard case interviews*2, only one resume-based question in the beginning. The interviewers were genial and guided me through the whole cases. One case was about new market entry and another was about profitability analysis. The cases were not that difficult but did involve some tricky questions.
    This was my first case interview and I didn't have much time to actually practice a whole case so I failed to make it to next round. Feedback received one day later.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your internship experience at X company. (resume-based)   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Bain & Company (Atlanta, GA) in October 2016.

Interview

Applied through my school's career services office.

Pre-Round 1: Connected with consultants, managers, and HR personnel at Bain's various offices to get a feel of the culture and the lifestyle.

Round 1: 2x cases, one given by a manager, one given by a partner. Both very interesting scenarios, and very open ended in there didn't seem to be a right answer, but they wanted to see how I thought through problems.

Round 2: I interviewed at the office itself with 3 people - 2 cases and 1 HR interview. Everything seemed to go pretty smoothly, although the partners seemed quite distracted while interviewing me. One went so far as to type replies to e-mails while I was creating my framework.