Bain & Company Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Bain & Company Interview Questions

Updated Jul 16, 2017

3.6

Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Bain & Company.

Interview

Two rounds of in-person interviews: two interviews in the first round (both case-based) and three for the second (one written, one case, one fit). I was notified the evening after my first interview that I was invited back for the second round, and I believe there was only one or two weeks between the two. I very much enjoyed speaking with each of my interviewers, and was even more excited for the position after leaving each round. The fit and case portions of each interview was much more conversational than my experience at other firms.

Interview Questions

• Expect the interviewers to push back on your answers to see how you respond.   Answer Question

Manager Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Bain & Company (San Francisco, CA) in March 2017.

Interview

It was a surprising experience to be able to interview with Glassdoor's #1 Best Places to Work. I had 2 phone calls and 2 on site visits in their SF office. I got to speak with many wonderful people and overall it was a great experience. I has my first call with the recruiter 5 days after I applied. 1 week later, I had a call with their HR Specialist (the one who oversees the MA's I believe). The following day (Friday) I went on site to meet with one of the Consulting Managers, then the Monday after that, met with 3 other Manager Assistants, another Consulting Manager, and lastly the HR Manager. It was a wonderful experience for me, up until I had to wait for their feedback/decision. It took them exactly ONE MONTH before I heard back. I understand the need to wait to hear back from interviews, but I think I was under the impression they were moving fast since they insisted on scheduling my phone calls and on sites so immediately. I believe they hire the best of the best and unfortunately that was not me this round. That's fine. It's just that I've never had an interview experience where the waiting period to hear back was TWICE AS LONG as the actual interview process itself. I felt they could have rejected me much sooner to be honest, and I would have been fine.

Interview Questions

• Say one of your managers were on their way to the airport for a meeting in another state and you find out that meeting has been cancelled . They aren't responding to your texts or answering your calls, what do you do now?   Answer Question

Associatw Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Bain & Company (New York, NY).

Interview

First round consisted of two case interviews. Cases were about profitability and acquisition and was 30 mins each. Interviewer was really friendly but the interview focussed more on the case then fit questions.

Interview Questions

Interview

Typical case interviews. First round was 2 case interview in the Boston office, met 2 consultants. Final round was a whole case interview with the manager and partner flied from the home office. Overall experience was really nice. The case analyzing skills is important.

Associate Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Bain & Company.

Interview

On-campus interview after applying through my university's career center. Had 2 business cases but didn't go through to the next round. Warm and welcoming team but no feedback on how I did in the interview even after follow-up. Neat process overall, seems like a great place to work but very competitive recruitment. Will definitely try again.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Bain & Company.

Interview

Applied online from non-target, had a phone call with an AC to discuss interest and run a case, was invited for first round interview a few days later. First round interview was 2 45min cases over Skype with short behavioral section. Final round was the same structure but in person. Cases were what you'd expect if you've done your research/practice. They were even more casual/conversational than expected. Based off my experiences with who got offers and who didn't, lots of value was placed on fit.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Bain & Company (Chicago, IL) in January 2017.

Interview

I knew a contact for an office outside of the US. After a couple of 30 minute conversations about consulting he gave me the chance to apply via his referral. I was contacted three months later for a first round interview in Chicago. This interview consisted of two - 30 minute cases. Both were about profitability. One had to do with the application of a new technology and the other focused on discovering the cause for declining revenue in a company. Final rounds consisted of two - 40 minute cases in New York. Similar questions but more ambiguous and open-ended. They really wanted to know the methodology uses to find the answers I put forth.

Summer Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Bain & Company (New York, NY) in January 2017.

Interview

Everything was pretty straightforward - two phone interviews with cases, really left up to me to drive the case and dig for answers. There was a short period before each case where I was able to chat with my interviewer about my background and why Bain, but the majority of the 40 minutes was spent running through the case.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Bain & Company (Los Angeles, CA) in January 2017.

Interview

Overall, it was a very rewarding experience. I learned a lot. Everyone at Bain was very nice, and the case studies were tough but reflected what skills are needed on the actual job.

Most of the cases were profitability cases (they asked you to calculate different things and switched up the variables), but if you have a strong understanding of profitability, you should be okay.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself.
      Walk me through your resume.
      Tell me about your experience at your university.   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Bain & Company (San Francisco, CA) in January 2017.

Interview

Two case interviews back to back. Typical cases can be expected. Worked with a consultant and a principal. They were both very cordial and professional. One of them followed up with a phone call to give helpful feedback.