Bain & Company Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Bain & Company Interview Questions

Updated Feb 23, 2017

3.6

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Bain & Company (San Francisco, CA) in September 2016.

Interview

-general info session on campus- + -sign up for coffee chats
    1.Online Portal (school recruiting)

-if made it past 1, invited to info sessions about first round expectations- focus on cases

2. First Round

-if made it past 2, invited to info sessions about second round expectations- slightly more personal

3. Final Round
    -Yay! or Not

overall, a very well thought out/planned process.

Interview Questions

• Typical case/personal questions
      Very friendly teams/recruiters
      1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nashville, TN

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Bain & Company (Nashville, TN) in September 2016.

Interview

The first round consisted of two interviews. Both interviews were identical. The format is as follows: 5 minutes of chatting and walking through your resume, and then a roughly 30-40 minute case. The interviewers take notes while you case which can be unnerving. Other than that found the interviewers to be kind and straightforward.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Bain & Company (Dallas, TX) in September 2016.

Interview

Had my first round on-campus with managers and consultants. Found out I got a final round the next afternoon. Final round was one week later at the office, with a dinner with alumni the night before. Interviews at the final round were with partners. Same level of difficulty, assuming you've done the prep and are comfortable with case interviews

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Bain & Company (Boston, MA) in August 2016.

Interview

Two rounds of interviews:
    First round on campus, two 30-minute case interviews with a tiny bit of fit questions.
    Second round at Bain & Co. in Boston, two 45-minute case interviews with more fit questions.
    All interviewers were extremely friendly and easygoing. All cases were fairly straightforward, but second round was more interviewee-led than first round.

Interview Questions

• A mid-tier department store is considering launching an online high-end menswear store. What factors should they consider?   Answer Question

Training Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Bain & Company (Boston, MA) in August 2016.

Interview

A phone screen with a recruiter and two rounds of in-person interviews with two different groups of people. My process moved quickly, I think much more quickly than usual, but my recruiter was incredibly responsive, accommodating, and professional throughout. My experience left me with a fantastic impression of the company and I was excited to accept my offer.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time that you had to take responsibility for something that went wrong.   Answer Question

Senior Graphics Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at Bain & Company (Boston, MA) in August 2016.

Interview

Last August, I applied for this position which was basically a presentation production role. I have twenty years of experience designing/developing presentations so naturally I earned an initial phone screening. One of the questions she asked me was "Tell me about a time when your attention to detail made you successful!" She was impressed with me enough to schedule me for a phone interview with another person who also asked me "Tell me about a time when your attention to detail made you successful!" She in turn scheduled me to come in to their Boston office for an interview. After first making me perform a PPT test (to prove I haven't faked my career?), I met briefly with her she left the room after conferencing in another person from their NY office, who proceeded to ask me "Tell me about a time when your attention to detail made you successful!" The following week I got a voicemail saying they are still considering me but due to Labor Day "things have slowed down" so it may be awhile before I hear anything. NEVER heard from them again. A few weeks ago I noticed they were again advertising the same job. I applied only to use my cover letter to let them know what I think of them. I received an email saying that the woman who was in charge of sending me a rejection email had left the company before doing so and they apologize for the oversight. As for why I wasn't chosen for the job, she said, "I am unable to comment on the reasons as to why your candidacy had not been successful at the time." I remember a time when it was standard procedure to tell candidates what part of their background or personality fell short (I can recall being told everything way back when, from "she just didn't like you" to "you seemed too serious"). She then regurgitated the standard "looking at your resume right now, I can say that your previous experience and qualifications, though impressive, do not quite match the requirements of the current role. We therefore unfortunately will not proceed with your application any further." Putting aside the fact that this is a job I've done for half my life, explain to me how I was qualified enough last August for three rounds of interviews, but I am suddenly completely unqualified for the exact same role? I've concluded one of two scenarios here. (a) This job was completely fake, only posted to satisfy EEOC regulations (they had an office full of graphics coordinators so it would only seem logical that the promotion would go to someone in that group). (b) They didn't know how massively OLD I was until I came in to their office on that third interview; now that they are aware of how old I am, they clearly want nothing to do with me. Boston is second only to Silicon Valley in its hostility towards older workers -- "old" being over 35 (Just look at the video in the banner above full of twentysomethings).

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when your attention to detail made you successful X 3   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Bain & Company (New York, NY).

Interview

First round was very simple behavioral questions. If you've read Case in Point, this should be relatively easy and it lasts about 15-20 minutes via phone (I applied from abroad). The next round involved a mental math test to assess quantitative skills. this too was pretty easy since the math wasn't too complicated. The final two rounds were case interviews that lasted between 30 - 45 minutes. Th first 5 minutes of the interview are spent introducing yourself to the interview and vice versa, trying to build some rapport.

Interview Questions

• Nothing in the interview was out of the ordinary. No ridiculous brainteasers or curveball behavioral questions. It was all very straightforward if you've prepped - the only prep I did was read Case in Point and have one practice case interview with a friend.   1 Answer

Negotiation

It was an internship so I had very little leeway in terms of negotiating anything, but they're very generous.

Help Desk Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Bain & Company (Boston, MA) in July 2016.

Interview

Had a phone interview and first round interview. 1:1 interview had me talking to 4 different people, one being a conference call. Got a call for final round of interview a day after. Overall, average interview process; it took about one hour and thirty minutes total. The final round will take two hours.

Interview Questions

• Three Strengths, weakness, why bain and basic interview questions of that sort.   Answer Question

Manager, TSG Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Bain & Company (Boston, MA) in July 2016.

Interview

The process was very quick - less than three weeks from beginning to end. I interviewed online through a recruiter. Had a brief call with the recruiter who passed my resume along to the hiring manager. Had two phone screens before coming onsite; one with an HR person and the other with the hiring manager. Shortly after that, I was invited in for a full day of face-to-face interviews...three days later I had an offer letter. They were great to deal with, received updates every step of the way from the HR person and the recruiter.

Interview Questions

• Mostly personality/skill set questions that related to the job. This is a corporate position so didn't have to go through the case study process that they do on the consultant side.   Answer Question

Accounts Payable Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Bain & Company (Dallas, TX) in June 2016.

Interview

First met with an employee in the AP department. She asked questions about my resume and skills. Then met with the AP Manager who explained the job in more detail and had a sheet of questions to ask. After you ask your questions, she gives you a paper to sign to allow a background check and she gives you another paper with the open ended question below.

Interview Questions

• An employee sends you a reimbursement expense with no receipts. Write an e-mail explaining how you would get the receipts   Answer Question