Baker Hughes Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Baker Hughes Interview Questions

Updated Jun 17, 2017

Field Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Baker Hughes (Houston, TX) in February 2017.

Interview

Applied online and after a couple of days received an email asking me to complete the digital interview through Hirevue.

Same drill - 10 questions, 30 sec prep, 3 minutes to answer, no mulligans. It was a little intense. I was running out of "real examples" to give.

The following day I received an email congratulating me and stating that I have successfully passed the initial interview stage, my application will be passed to second selection stage, and I would be recommended as a suitable candidate. To keep your ego in check, at the end of the email they write, "Please remember that your status makes you eligible for the second round interview, but does not guarantee you will be selected to attend."

Now I wait.

The interview questions posted here are one-sentence, truncated versions of what they really ask during the digital interview. Yes, they cover the general idea of the question, but some literally have 8+ questions within a single question that I assumed we had to answer on the fly as well.

So here I break bread for all the help I received. I posted the ten complete questions in the order I received them.

Good luck gentlemen.

Interview Questions

• Question 1:
      Give a real example of a technical problem you solved using knowledge you learned at school or from experience in your most recent role? What was the problem? What actions did you take to succeed? What barrier did you overcome? What was the outcome? What did you learn from the experience?
    • Question 2:
      Please describe a real situation in which you had to troubleshoot and fix the failure of a piece equipment/machine? What was the equipment/machine? What steps did you go through to troubleshoot? What steps did you go through to fix the problem? What was the outcome?
    • Question 3:
      Please describe a situation in which you were assigned a technical task with a tight deadline. Please describe the assigned task and required time frame. Please describe the steps and procedure you took to complete this task. What was the outcome?
    • Question 4:
      Projects need to be completed on time and/or on budget. Describe a time when you were fully accountable for managing a project/piece of work. What was the task? How did you plan your time? What action did you take to avoid delay? Describe the efforts you took in attempting to meet the deadline? What constraints did you need to overcome? What was the outcome? If you were to do the same task again, what would you do differently?
    • Question 5:
      Give a real example when you lead a group through a challenging situation? What as the situation? What steps did you take to lead the group? What obstacles did you overcome? How did you handle non-cooperative group member? What was the outcome? What would you do differently if you faced the same situation again?
    • Question 6:
      A good idea/ suggestion can sometimes be met with opposition. Please describe a recent situation where you had to deal with resistance to the idea you presented. Outline the background. What was the resistance? How did you deal with it? Did you modify your idea/ suggestion? Was your idea/ suggestion finally accepted? If not, why? What did you learn from this experience?
    • Question 7:
      Tell us about a recent problem that came up at your current job or in your school work for which old solutions would not work. What was the situation? Why didn't the old solution work? What steps did you take to come up with a new solution? What help did you need to achieve a positive outcome? What was the outcome?
    • Question 8:
      Please describe a recent situation where you had to work in a team with someone who failed to deliver on his/her part of the assignment. Outline the context. What actions did you take to encourage your colleague to contribute? How did you handle his/her reactions? What did you learn from this experience that will help you in future team activities?
    • Question 9:
      Please provide at least 3 reasons why you want to join Baker Hughes as a Field Engineer?
    • Question 10:
      Tell me everything else about yourself that you think is relevant to your application as a Field Engineer in Baker Hughes. Why should we hire you?

Graduate Field Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Corvallis, OR

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Baker Hughes (Corvallis, OR) in June 2017.

Interview

I applied online then got an interview which was pre recorded. You get a question then they record a video of you answering online. It took about 25 minutes

Interview Questions

• Describe a time you were a leader of a group and one of your group member was not cooperative   1 Answer

Graduate Field Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Baker Hughes (Houston, TX) in February 2017.

Interview

First I applied online which took about 10 minutes. After a few days I received notice to do an online, prerecorded interview of 10 questions at 3 minutes apiece. About 3 weeks later I received notice that I passed this round of interviews but am not guaranteed a spot at the next round of interviews. I am now waiting to hear back again (it has been about 2 weeks).

Interview Questions

• The usual questions everyone posted, though be careful they changed a few of the questions slightly so don't just memorize them. I.e. on here somebody was asked "Name 3 reasons you'd like to work as a field engineer at Baker hughes" where I got "Name 3 difficulties you might encounter working in the field as a field engineer at baker hughes"   2 Answers

Graduate Engineer - Artificial Lift Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Claremore, OK

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Baker Hughes (Claremore, OK) in March 2017.

Interview

Easily the worst "interview" process I've ever been through. If you're unfortunate enough to make it to a "Baker Hughes Experience" day, this is what you'll go through: arrive at the crack of dawn, build a drilling rig out of straws and tape and answer serious questions about your design as if it's real, take a ridiculous test on the Mayan number system where you'll be asked to multiply something like 90,325 x 42,689 by hand, do a 10 minute case study and wait for 30 minutes while other people finish a different activity, put together absurd puzzles in front of interviewers who sit there without talking and watch you struggle, and then debate extremely vague scenarios related to safety/ethics while the assessors play devils advocate.

The second to last thing they do is give a presentation on what the actual position is you're applying for. Yes, you go the whole morning without really knowing exactly what the job will be like. (Keeping you in the dark was a main theme throughout the day). So it's late afternoon, you've finally finished all these absurd HR-contrived activities that have no bearing on the real world and they call you into a panel interview where they ask you "Why do you want to work for BH?" You give your spiel about how it's such a unique and awesome company and they say "Thank you, that's it." You then wait an hour for everyone else to get asked the same thing. After another 30 minutes they individually pull you into a room and either offer you a job or not on the spot.

So they don't even get to know you individually. HR said they outsource the selection process (from HireVue digital interview to final interview day) so the interviewers don't even look at your prerecorded answers from HireVue. I was literally asked one crappy question and nothing about my experience or resume which they had in front of them while I was talking. The extent of the interview process is jumping through hoops and reciting back the company kool-aid about safety, flexibility, and teamwork.

Fortunately, this only lasted one day for me and not two days like they've done in the past. I understand it's just the nature of the beast to have to play the game and act super extroverted during interviews but this was beyond the pale. You're evaluated exclusively on how you complete some asinine activities and not at all on your previous experience at other jobs. They're not really interested in getting to know you.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work here? (this was the only question I was asked)   1 Answer

Field Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Baker Hughes in March 2017.

Interview

First had to interview online through hirevue (video interview). I got an email saying I passed but that it does not guarantee a second interview. I haven't been contacted since then and it's been 3 weeks.

Interview Questions

• What is a time you wanted to do a certain task differently than how it was done before?   Answer Question

Health and Safety Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Baker Hughes (Houston, TX) in March 2017.

Interview

Online interview in which you answer questions. It was a awkward answering questions as you are responding to a recorded video which eliminates the benefit of reading body language. The questions were behavioral and specific for the health and safety position. Understand safety policies and be able to apply it to behavioral based questions.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time you implemented a Stop action and what were the consequences related with it?   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Myers, FL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Baker Hughes (Fort Myers, FL) in March 2017.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter from Philadelphia after posting my resume online. A few days later I have received a phone call from the Philadelphia recruiting team,the phone interview went well, we spent 20 mins talking about my work experience and competencies then they scheduled me for a face to face interview at the local office. The interview was shorter and more painless than I was expecting based on the review I have read.

Interview Questions

• The interviewer was asking questions about my motivation, determination, and wanted to see if I can handle the challenging word of sales   Answer Question

Interview

I applied through the website and the following day they invited me to do an online interview. They give me 5 days to finish it. They were 9 questions almost all of them are personal/skill based. They emailed me back in 2 days saying I passed. I'm still waiting for round 2.

Interview Questions

• what is a challenging situations you had and how you dell it with it.   1 Answer

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Baker Hughes in February 2017.

Interview

I had to do an online pre-recorded interview from HireVue. I didn't particularly like this app, since it just felt extremely awkward talking to a camera. They gave you 30 seconds to prepare for a question which I don't think is enough time given that each question had like 5 parts to them. The questions themselves were all behavioral but the style of the interview can throw you off.

Interview Questions

• General behavioral questions but each had several parts to them   1 Answer

Warehouse Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oklahoma City, OK

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Baker Hughes (Oklahoma City, OK) in February 2017.

Interview

two doing the interview. Same interview questions. What is your best job/worst, why should we choose you, have you ever by passed a safety process? Where did you find our ad for the job?