Bally Technologies Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Bally Technologies Interview Questions

Updated Dec 22, 2016

2.9

Game Dev Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Bally Technologies.

Interview

Met the company HR at the university career fair. The interview process was pretty straightforward. One call from HR for a sanity check before they give you a date an engineer would call you.

Interview Questions

• Given one assignment to code. Was very simple, make a basic card/deck game in C++. Nothing beyond classes required. Was given 5 days to make the game from scratch and submit it.   1 Answer

Senior Staff Accountant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Bally Technologies (Las Vegas, NV) in January 2015.

Interview

I was initially interviewed via telephone by an HR representative of Bally Technologies. After answering a number of questions, she decided to bring me in and meet with the Controller. I met with the Controller a few days later. He was very personable and told me they had been holding my resume for several months, as hiring had been "frozen" due to a merger that was in the works. As soon as our interview was finished, he asked if I was available the very next day to meet his staff so he could get their feedback and get the process rolling on making me an offer!

Interview Questions

• I was asked about my experience using Oracle and Blackline software as they were soon going to be migrating to these platforms. I was also asked about my previous history analyzing manufacturing variances, particularly purchase price variances and how I would go proactively approach minimizing these variances.   1 Answer
    • They asked how quickly could I start!   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Bally Technologies (Las Vegas, NV) in March 2014.

Interview

Had two phone interviews and then two face to face interviews. They were very brief when I first received the first call back. I was asked a lot of OOP basic and advanced programming questions over the phone and then had more personality questions in the face to face interview. Different departments interview differently though so don't expect the interview process to all be the same, because it's usually not. They seemed very disorganized.

Operations Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Atlantic City, NJ

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Bally Technologies (Atlantic City, NJ) in March 2014.

Interview

Tiered. Very informative and professional. They were very precise in what they were looking for in a candidate and never misled. Thorough in screening and background checks. 1:1, a couple group calls.

Interview Questions

• How did I feel I could contribute to the company?   1 Answer

Associate Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Bally Technologies.

Interview

Simple Questions from Databases and OS, DS and Algo. Quiz Questions in 2nd round interview.

Questions like : Swap two numbers, Difference B/w Thread and processes etc.

Company Profile

Software Release Engineer I Interview

Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Bally Technologies (Las Vegas, NV) in June 2013.

Interview

There was a phone interview , skills test relating to the scripting knowledge,2 one to one interview one for scripting and linux side expertise , scm concepts as branching, merging , changelist tools, etc..... and one for windows expertise ASP.net , database, etc.....

Interview Questions

• If there is a WinDifff tool which generates output from changelists of two versions as following files were Identical files , deleted files , added files from Version A to version B what is the logic behind it?   Answer Question

Negotiation

My hiring manager was Very tough negotiator.

Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV

Application

The process took a week. I interviewed at Bally Technologies (Las Vegas, NV) in January 2013.

Interview

In house interview was first. Answered two questions, both pretty simple. You meet with the principal engineer and the lead for which team you are applying for. Then a take home code test. Very interesting code test. I spent roughly a week on it, but one could finish it within a day or so. They will provide an email containing some usable libraries and some references. They don't give you a time line on how long it should be finished, but they don't expect you to take a month

Software Engineer I Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Bally Technologies in November 2012.

Interview

First-a-technical-phone-interview w/ manager: definitions-pertaining-to-the-graphics-nature-of-the-position-such-as-description-of-anti-aliasing-and-culling, as-well-as-on-paper-algortihms-such-as-a-random-number-range-function. Also-spoken-design-questions-where-they-described-a-scenario-and-asked-for-a-design-solution.

Second-was-a-timed-email-test-that-was-a-maxium-of-4hrs. The-time-it-took-to-complete-and-algorithm-corrrectness-mattered-but-syntax-correctness-was-not-entirely-necessary-but-no-pseudocode. I-asked-for-a-few-days-time-to-prepare-and-the-manager-was-okay-with-that. What-came-was-4-relatively-simple-questions-about-memory-allocation-and-bit-manipulation-and-a-card-shuffling-algorithm-which-I-was-able-complete-in-45min-due-to-my-previous-preparation.

Third-was-a-personality-phone-interview-with-the-manager-and-two-others-on-the-team. I-gave-them-my-background. They-asked-the-usual-questions-such-as-why-i-want-to-work-for-them-and-what-kind-of-scenarios-I-had-been-in-which-prompted-STAR-stories. They-also-asked-questions-that-dealt-with-their-environment-such-as-"Can-you-handle-dealing-with-argumentative-people?"-and-"This-isn't-like-your-previous-work-experience-so-how-do-we-know-you-wont-get-bored-and-leave-after-a-year-or-two?". Lastly-they-asked-if-I-had-any-questions-of-my-own-which prompted-me-to show-my-knowledge-of-"what-I-know"-and-"what-I-know-they-do". It- was-meant-to-be-a-40-min-phone-call-but-they-seemed-to-like-me-so-we-ended-up-over-an-hour. They-called-back-5min-later-and-asked-when-was-a-good-time-to-fly-me-in.

When-I-came-in-for-the-face-to-face-interview-they-gave-me-a-tour-which-was-a-good-time-for-me-asking-questions-that-showed-my-knowledge-and-a-passion-for-my-profession-and-make-them-feel-like-I-am-already-preparing-for-my-tasks. When-we-got-to-their-questions-which-were-basic-problem-solving-questions-some-math-questions-GLSL-syntax-questions-and-some-advanced-C++-questions. I-did-need-help-through-most-of-them-but--knew-it-was-important-not-to-give-up-so-I-worked-them-all-out. Also-some-of-the-questions-seemed-like-the-group-came-up-with-them-the-day-before-so-some-of-them-were-flawed-which-is-partially-why-I-HAD-to-get-help.

We-did-lunch-and-I-made-the-conscious-decision-to-ride-with-the-guy-that-was-by-himself-so-I-could-ask-him-how-I-was-doing-so-far. He-said-that-he-thought-I-was-better-than-most-candidates-which-I-thought-was-funny-because-I-felt-I-was-doing-terrible-because-i-needed-help-too-often. He-said-the-biggest-advantage-I-had-over-other-candidates-was-that-I-was-being-completely-honest-about-what-I-knew-and-didn't-know. Other-candidates-would-get-nervous-when-they-didn't-know-something-fearing-it-lose-them-the-job-so-they-would-try-to-act-like-they-knew-a-certain-subject-when-they-obviously-did-not.

During-lunch-the-manager-did-surprise-me-with-opinion-questions-such-as-time-based-vs-frame-based-animations-and-static-vs-dynamic-libraries. While-I-we-were-driving-back-from-lunch-I-asked-the-teammate-I-rode-with-if-there-was-around-two. He-said-he-didn't-know-and-that-it-was-all-by-ear. I-told-him-that-I-was-expecting-there-to-have-been-more-design-and-structure-questions. It-seemed-that-he-liked-me-and-I-think-he-might-have-influenced-the-rest-of-the-day-because-after-lunch-we-came-back-and-did-another-round-of-questions-which-were-software-design-and-data-structure-questions.

The-day-ended-around-4pm-or-so. I-asked-another-teammate-in-private-how-I-did-and-he-said-"You-did-good-because-those-werent-easy-questions-and-even-though-you-needed-some-help-you-figured-the-rest-on-your-own". The-manager-called-me into-his-office-after-that-and-told-me-the-hiring-decision-was-up-to-his-team-and-they-would-like-to-work-with-me. He-presented-the-offer-letter.

Interview Questions

• Three black boxes that release one item in their content at the pull of a lever. They are labeled "Apples", "Oranges", and "Apples & Oranges". They are mislabeled, with all labels belonging to another one of the boxes. By only pulling any two levers once, how do you decide which labels go to the correct box?   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiations

Media Tech II Interview

Anonymous Employee in Huntington Beach, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Bally Technologies (Huntington Beach, CA) in November 2012.

Interview

Applied in July 2012 online. Got recruiter interview in Sept. 2012 which was suppose lead to one-on-one but job put on hold. Received call from same recruiter who asked same questions as in Sept. Had it submit 2 animation tests around Thankgiving. Got 2 separate day-long interviews at studio (1 team, 1 group, 1 one-on-one) in Nov. 2012. Finally got an offer in Dec. Had background, drug test. Hired in late Jan. 2013.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Verbally asked to get 3D software package with my deal. Never received software since employed at Ballys.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Reno, NV

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Bally Technologies (Reno, NV) in May 2012.

Interview

Hiring process is slow if you need H1 sponsorship. Guys looking for new H1 sponsorship dont rely on Bally that they will apply your H1 in time even if they recieve all your documents well ahead of time. Finally they submitted my application to USCIS 1 day after the quota has closed and told me that quota for H1 is full we will try next year if position is still open. I dont know if it was a coincidence but I still doubt Bally's intentions on hiring me. This was my experience hope this helps you and you dont make the mistake I made.

Interview Questions

• What is your long term goal ?   1 Answer