Banana Republic Assistant Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Banana Republic Assistant Manager Interview Questions

Updated Apr 3, 2017

2.6

Anonymous Employee in Burlington, VT

Application

I applied through other source. The process took a week. I interviewed at Banana Republic (Burlington, VT) in January 2014.

Interview

There are a maximum of three interviews with this company for any position. For this position, I had a two person panel: The store's General Manager and the district manager. I felt really comfortable throughout the process and I knew I wanted to work for this company.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself.   Answer Question
  • Why do you want to work here?   Answer Question
  • Where do you see yourself in 5 years?   Answer Question
  • What does exceeding expectations mean to you?   Answer Question
  • How will you drive the business?   Answer Question
  • What do you think our customer expects when it comes to service? How will you bring this to life in the store?   Answer Question
  • Where do you go to keep up on trends and style?   Answer Question
  • Tell me about a time you had a conflict with a supervisor. What was the situation, how did you handle it, what was the outcome?   Answer Question
  • How would you handle employee conflicts in the store?   Answer Question
  • What has your experience working for a competitor taught you?   Answer Question
  • Tell me about the person you respect the most and why?   Answer Question
  • If you were offered another position within your field of study, tomorrow, would you take it?   Answer Question
  • You are applying for an Assistant Manager position, if you were offered a supervisor position, would you accept it?   Answer Question
  • When are you available to start?   Answer Question
  • What questions do you have for us?   Answer Question
  • How would a former supervisor describe you?   Answer Question
  • What gets in the way of you doing your best?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Banana Republic

Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Banana Republic (Indianapolis, IN) in January 2016.

Interview

You have to go through three interview. Your store GM should be the one to make the decision. I had a phone interview with another GM. They will ask you typical leadership questions. They are mostly focused on the numbers end of things.

Interview Questions

• How do you Manage your team?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Banana Republic (Richmond, VA) in March 2016.

Interview

Brief. Did not sound like they were sure what they wanted / looking for in candidate. Interview went well past an hour, but did not end with any clear direction.

Interview Questions

• What were my top three priorities in employment with Banana Republic?
      How to I manage a team?
      Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Banana Republic (New York, NY) in June 2015.

Interview

Was contacted via email quite quickly, then was asked to set up a phone interview. However the phone interview was set up for 1 week later. Brief phone interview with inside recruiter. Interview was a few days later. met with main manager

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Banana Republic (New York, NY) in August 2015.

Interview

I applied online and received a call from the recruiter about a week later to set up a date for a phone interview. The recruiter called on time and was very professional and kind. She filled me in on the job position and asked me a few questions about my background. After a successful phone interview she then set up an 1:1 interview between the store manager and I. At the 1:1 the SM gave me more information on the position as well as her career at BR and the history of the store. After the interview she introduced me to other managers on the building and she even had me do some observations on the sales floor. She told me that she will be in contact with the recruiter and she would let me know what the next steps would be if there were to be any. A few days later i hear from the recruiter again and she informs me that my 1:1 went well and I will then have a final phone interview with the district manager. The interview with the DM was an amazing experience he asked a lot about my background and really focused on why I wanted to work for BR. A few days later i got a call from the recruiter offering me the position pending a successful background check. If you interview with banana republic i suggest brushing up on your interview skills, and be prepared to talk in depth about what you can bring to BR as well as display a passion for the company. A little bit of research on the company goes a long way.

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Banana Republic (Boston, MA) in August 2011.

Interview

It wasn't difficult but it was long and you go through several different people for multiple interviews.

Anonymous Employee in Leesburg, VA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Banana Republic (Leesburg, VA) in June 2012.

Interview

It was very personal and behavorial. What did I expect from the company, what did I have to offer, how would I handle situations, how would I balance workload and customer service while leading a team. I felt very much at ease and relaxed. The interviewer not only ensured that I was what the company needed but that I would be set up for sucess.

Interview Questions

• How do you feel about where our company is taking our Brand?   Answer Question
    • What role do you play in enforcing policy you don't neccessarily agree with?   Answer Question

Negotiation

There was no negotiation.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Knoxville, TN

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Banana Republic (Knoxville, TN) in January 2017.

Interview

I applied online and received a call a few days later to come in for an interview. It went well and was very pleasant. I was invited to come back the following week for a second interview with the district manager. This was also pleasant and I thought it went well. No real hard questions were asked basic management questions. I was told that I would get a call within the next two days. I received an EMAIL the following day that they went with the other applicant. It is totally unprofessional to send an email after several interviews to say they went with another applicant. I already knew that the management did not like confrontation or to have "difficult" conversations from our original interview, but it is cowardly to not pick up the phone and have common courtesy. I will no longer be shopping with Banana

Interview Questions

• Management style
      What would I change in the store
      Basic questions
      Answer Question

Assistant Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Banana Republic.

Interview

I applied online and was initially contacted by a recruiter and went through a phone screen, set up with a GM interview, interviewed with the DM, and they made a decision from there. The process took about 2 1/2 weeks, just because I am already working full time and needed to find the time to meet with the GM and would miss phone calls from the recruiter.

Interview Questions

• No difficult questions really, just make sure you prep yourself just like you would for any interview. The questions are pretty standard.   Answer Question

I declined because the pay was only $0.50 difference from what I was making and the volume of the store was 3x as much as where I was already working. There was no room for negotiation.

Assistant Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Banana Republic in March 2009.

Interview

Started with an HR recruiter, she asked the standard interview questions. It took about an hour. She then told me about a few opportunities and set me up with the department manager.
    The Department Manager interviewed me, again about an hour, standard questions - why do you want the position, tell me about your experience, etc.
    Finally I interviewed with the District Manager who again, didn't ask anything too crazy.

Interview Questions

• Where do you get your fashion advice?   1 Answer

Negotiation

I didn't really negotiate, they asked what I made previously and offered me more than that.