Banana Republic Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Banana Republic Interview Questions

Interviews at Banana Republic

2.2

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Banana Republic (Chicago, IL) in May 2011.

Interview

I attended a group interview and everyone went around the circle and answered the same questions. Then there were questions where someone could raise their hand and answer first. We also watched a video and discussed it afterward. This showed the management if people were quick thinkers, had previous retail experience and if they were shy or not.

Interview Questions

• I expected all of the questions because all retail interviews are basically the same, especially when its for a cashier position.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No, not really. Even with regards to the many years of experience I had, I was still offered the minimum rate.

Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Banana Republic (Minneapolis, MN) in October 2008.

Interview

got a call from manager and interview was basically going over my resume.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Banana Republic (Los Angeles, CA) in September 2011.

Interview

I applied online on a monday and got called in for a group interview a few days later for the following Monday, when i came in for the interview they had some others waiting aside to be called..a girl and a guy came out to greet us and took us to the farmers market area so we could all sit and start the group interview..they were very nice they only asked basic questions and let everyone answer them...try to be one of the first ones to answer the questions and be very clear about your customer service and sales experience thats what they are looking for, also availability is very important. it only took about 15 min and they said they would do background checks and that they would call us back by friday. i thought the interview went great but my background check took too long. oh well it was an ok experiance.

Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Banana Republic (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Very organized interview process. You are greeted by an HR manager and then escorted to each of the people you will interview with. They generally schedule 2-3 back-to-back reviews so you come in one or two times. It is very efficient and thorough.

Interview Questions

• Questions include why you want to leave your last role/company and to describe an experience or bullet that you've referenced on your resume.   Answer Question

Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Banana Republic (San Francisco, CA) in June 2011.

Interview

First contacted via e-mail by Human Resource recruiter to set up phone interview. General questions asked about background, work experience, and interest in position. After initial phone screen, was asked to meet with Director for 1:1 interview. More in-depth questions asked about work experience and interest in company. Overall, had a positive impression about the company as they are very organized about interview dates and application process, and provided quick and informative feedback.

Interview Questions

• The questions were general: Why are you interested in the company? What makes you a fit for the position?   Answer Question

Merchandise Presentation Lead Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Center Valley, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Banana Republic (Center Valley, PA) in January 2014.

Interview

I applied online and was called for an interview within 4 hours. I went in for the interview optimistic, but ended up having my interview with the Store Manager instead of the manager I'd be directly reporting to. This seems pretty typical, but I think it ended up interfering with the success of the interview.

It became pretty clear pretty quickly that this lady hadn't read my resume. The questions she asked me didn't seem to have any concept of the job at hand or the experience I was coming with. The other woman, who I would have been a direct report of, seemed pretty excited and aware of what my resume was putting forward (hence her eagerness in calling me within the same day). I feel like she probably would have been the best one to execute the interview because she had a handle on the position. Oh well.

Also, the job description on their website and with the job posting is bizarrely vague and shallow. I had to ask a lot of questions to get an idea of what the job would entail day-to-day and even then the Store Manager just gave me a print out of the same description that was on the website...so basically, no info.

Once we really got into the interview - which lasted an hour - it made a total left turn when she stopped me and told me that I seemed "really passionate" about merchandising and that that I wouldn't actually be doing that regularly...So weird.

Basically, for anyone thinking that this job would be a great fit for someone looking for a visual merchandising position my advice is: NO WAY. This job is just basically glorified "Queen of the Stockroom." This job is something that they shouldn't waste the time of anyone with managerial experience with. What they're asking to be done can totally be done by a full-time associate.

What a waste of time!

Interview Questions

• I was asked about how I'd dealt with conflict among associates before.   1 Answer

Merchandise Presentation Lead Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Banana Republic (Los Angeles, CA) in August 2010.

Interview

Hiring process is driven by sales generator and economy.

Interview Questions

• How do you handle a negative customer service experience   1 Answer
    • How do you work with a difficult team player   1 Answer

Merchandise Presentation Supervisor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Banana Republic in June 2009.

Interview

The man was really inforamtive and easy-going..I didnt feel nervous or pressure from any of the questions. The man was calling from the corporate office in ohio i believe.. The quesions were general:

1. why do you want to work here?
    2. what are your strengths/weaknesses?
    3. How do you motivate people?
    4. Describe your last job....

Interview Questions

• If you have a lot to do at work, how do you make sure everything is done?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Aurora, CO

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Banana Republic (Aurora, CO) in April 2008.

Interview

I was an internal candidate that got interviewed first by the recruiter, then the general manager of two different stores and then the district manager. After a week my last interview was with the regional visual manager.

Interview Questions

• What was your most difficult situation from your current or previous job?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Fairview Heights, IL

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Banana Republic (Fairview Heights, IL) in October 2011.

Interview

GM wasn't very professional but I knew that the company was, researched position and decided to go for it. Used glassdoor to help me gage my salary and thank goodness I did! What they offered felt low so I turned the initial offer down. I negotiated and the GM was impatient about the whole thing but they offered me what I asked.

Negotiation

I was, and I leveraged my timing of year for that. It was late October, knew the store was heading into holiday short leadership and I stayed patient. Never give out your current salary, because the job you are looking into may have NOTHING to do with what you are currently looking at taking on.