Banana Republic Sales Associate Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Banana Republic Sales Associate Interview Questions

Updated May 17, 2017

2.2

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Glendale, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Banana Republic (Glendale, AZ) in February 2017.

Interview

Got a call to set up an interview day. Showed up to the interview and the manager was not prepared for the interview. She asked a bunch of questions that were not related to the position that i had applied for. After 30 minutes she tells me that she's looking for a fashionista. I was like realllyy. She told me she was gonna interview more people and if i didn't hear from her after a week i could call her. Never called me back. I knew I didn't get the job as soon as I left.

Interview Questions

• Who is your hero?   1 Answer
  • Name a company that is banana republic's competition   Answer Question
  • Do you keep up with fashion trends and do you buy fashion magazines   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Banana Republic

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 7 weeks. I interviewed at Banana Republic (Arlington, VA) in March 2017.

Interview

I have worked for two locations previously so I figured getting rehired at the Pentagon City location would be a breeze. It took 7 weeks before I got scheduled for an interview, but only after I called and called, they never contacted me. The interview was done in a group, we were talked at/lectured for an hour and a half, I was lectured on how I did not sell the manager a box of wipes correctly when he tested us though he never bothered to see if we knew the actual merchandise. He seemed on a bit of a power trip, very critical, did not ask any real questions and only lectured on how screw ups were always our fault no matter what. Over all a very negative experience just to work part time folding clothes at a mall, get a grip and be realistic.

Interview Questions

• Who are our biggest competitors?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in El Paso, TX

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Banana Republic (El Paso, TX) in November 2012.

Interview

Submitted my application in person. Couple of days later I received a call from the store manager asking if I can come in for an interview. I had a group interview with about 10 other individuals on a Saturday morning. After the group interview I received another call from the store manager on Thursday saying they wanted to extended an offer.

Interview Questions

• A good or bad customer service experience we had encountered personally.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Carlsbad, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Banana Republic (Carlsbad, CA) in August 2013.

Interview

Group Interview with manager. It was very casual, with many opportunities to showcase your individuality. Since my interview in 2013, the process has become more challenging with customer simulations being added. The manager will pretend to be a customer and you will have to answer their questions. I recommend brushing up on different materials and whether or not they are machine washable and dry clean appropriate because one of the managers will ask that.

Interview Questions

• What/who is a source of fashion inspiration?
      Do you have any prior retail experience?
      If you could be a superhero, what powers would you choose?
      Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Banana Republic.

Interview

Went in for a one on one interview.
    I absolutely hated it from the time I walked in the people working were so uptight.
    The manager seemed like she was in a rush she was just asking question after question, she barely smiled and just seemed so cold.
    Asked me to sell her a credit card afree learning the benefits.
    Took me out on the men's sales floor to different sections and asked me to tell her what they were and too sell. Which being a 20 yr old girl working for female retail I didn't know much about.
    All in all the interview seemed like more of an interagation and she seemed too scold me if I didn't answer correctly.
    I don't really care if I get a call back because I want to enjoy what I do and all of them seemed miserable.

Interview Questions

• What are the top 5 key peices to a men's closet.   1 Answer
    • What would your manager say about you if I called?   1 Answer
    • Name a time you went above and beyond for a customer.   1 Answer

I did not want to work at a place that everyone seemed miserable and the boss so rigid.

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mississauga, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Banana Republic (Mississauga, ON (Canada)) in October 2012.

Interview

I applied online in the summer, went through that whole annoying Taleo questionnaire and didn't hear anything back until about 2 months later. I received an email from Gap Inc. saying to call the manager for an interview if I was still interested. I did, and she asked me if I was available the coming Saturday at 4, so I said yes. I got there, she wasn't ready yet, so I was asked to just look around the store until she came out. Then I noticed there were other people my age walking around with report covers in their hands and I realized it was a group interview. I started to panic. No one had told me, so I had the initial impression that it would be one-on-one with the manager, which I would have preferred. It wasn't. There were 7 OTHER CANDIDATES. Very unprofessional of Banana Republic Square One. Also, the interviewer was rude and awkward. You'd think she would have looked at my resume, but I guess not, as she proceeded to ask questions about customer service experience, something I did not have, forcing me to make scenarios and examples up as to not embarrass myself in front of the other (far more qualified) candidates. Half way through the interview I literally wanted to get up and walk out. She said that if we have good references that we can expect an email within 3 days, but if not, they would not be taking the hiring process any further. It was my third interview and by far the worst. I do not even wish to work there anymore. Everyone is very superficial. Long story short: don't apply if you do not have prior experience. This interview will be hell for you.

Interview Questions

• Describe the last time you struck up a conversation with someone you didn't know.
      Describe a time when you went above and beyond to help a customer.
      What is your approach to handling many customers at a time?
      Which particular item in the store would you like to sell and why?
      Describe a time (at work or in school) when you had been given little direction on a project.
      Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Banana Republic (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in September 2012.

Interview

After applying online, I received a callback from HR and was scheduled for a group interview. The group interview consisted, primarily, of "on the job" questions. After that, I was called back for a in-store interview. They asked me to run around the store and pick items for the manager to wear to an interview (pretending she was a customer) and tell her why she should buy them. Something that made the second interview a little annoying was the fact that there were several people in the store doing the exact same thing.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you did something that positively impacted others.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Banana Republic (San Francisco, CA) in December 2011.

Interview

It was a group interview. There were 7 of us, and 2 of the managers were "grading." The questions they asked were:

1) Tell me about yourself.
    2) Has there been a time where you worked as a team and it didn't really work well? What did you do to overcome it.
    3) Was there a time in your life where you took on the responsibility for something you weren't assigned to do? Explain.
    4) Was there a time in your life you were extremely busy and had many tasks? If so, tell us how you prioritized what to do first.
    5) In one word, describe to us how you perceive Banana Republic Clothing.

I don't remember I think there was another question, but these questions were hard!! for me of course only. All the other group people answered it like a breeze because they had retail work experience at like BR, Macy's and A&F... some people just love to brag. Anyways, I felt over dressed because people wore casual things, like a nice silk shirt with pants... well I don't know this was my first ever interview. They think their clothing is "professional." The managers commented if they liked your work ethic... but obviously I couldn't answer HALF their questions so I based stuff on school work though because they let you do that. Well, I don't think I will get the job.. but here was my experience. Hope you do well in your interview, and just be prepared for these questions; they don't give you time to think... just sit in the middle because they have you sit in a circle like you're in an AA meeting. Ahhhhhh :(

Interview Questions

• Was there ever a time in your life where you took on the responsibility for something that wasn't yours to do? Explain.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Paramus, NJ

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Banana Republic (Paramus, NJ) in June 2009.

Interview

I was called in for a group interview, and they asked me a number of questions. It was friendly and I liked it.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if you saw someone doing something wrong?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Banana Republic (Boston, MA) in November 2009.

Interview

I went in and asked for holiday/part time work from the copley mall store. they gave me an app and got me an interview right away. I did a group interview first. the manager was nice and professional- it seemed organized. i got a call two days later that they wanted me to come in for the second interview- which is the one before they hire you. I learned that saturdays are madatory and that after 80 days they decide if they will make you part time from holiday work. The discount is great and people are nice. I am looking forward to starting work soon

Interview Questions

• when was the last time you had to resolve a conflict and all questions were to be answred 'briefly'   Answer Question