Bank of America Software Developer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Bank of America Software Developer Interview Questions

Updated Feb 21, 2017

2.8

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Bank of America.

Interview

First phase was the phone interview, background questions, light object-oriented design questions. Second phase was the in-person interview, with a written test of C++, C#, algorithms, and basic SQL. I also met members of the team, who tested my knowledge in a similar manner.

Interview Questions

• Implement a C++ class hierarchy for the "zoo" example.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Bank of America

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Bank of America (Chicago, IL) in May 2016.

Interview

1 Phone Interview, non-technical
    2 In-Person Interviews, first was about 3 hrs, second was about 3 hrs 30. Mix of technical.

Technical questions weren't difficult. Everyone was friendly and polite.
    Mostly went through experience on resume and some behavioral questions.

I knew I was competing with another candidate and ultimately I figured he expressed greater interest in the job than I did since I had good, but different technical experience not relevant to finance.

Interview Questions

• Explain how you would design an elevator.
      Search for dict value in sorted array.
      Answer Question

Software Development Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Holmdel, NJ

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Bank of America (Holmdel, NJ) in February 2016.

Interview

I applied through on-campus recruitment last year (Spring 2016) for a software development intern position inclined towards UX, and cleared the first round, where I was asked design and logical reasoning related questions.
    The next 3 rounds were in NJ. The first 2 of these 3 rounds were just perfect. The panel members loved me. However, the third round was with a lady who just didn't seem to care about what I had to say. She then handed me a bunch of sheets and asked me to solve the problems on it. Totally lost and flustered by what was going on, I quickly started solving them with confidence but with a little slow speed. And before I could complete it, she took it away. I somehow did not like the experience and her attitude. And funnily didn't get the offer either. :(

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Bank of America (New York, NY) in October 2015.

Interview

I interviewed at Grace hopper and was purely behavioral. The person mostly asked me about my experience and my background. It was very casual and no technical questions were asked.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Bank of America (New York, NY) in May 2015.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiting company that set up a phone interview that was partly technical and partly about my background. The technical component was about object oriented concepts and multi threading along with some basic algorithms. The interviewer was very helpful and overall it was a positive experience.

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Bank of America.

Interview

Technical Interview:
    - Fizz Buzz (looping 1 to 100 printing "fizz" if divisible by 3, "buzz" if divisible by 7, and "fizz buzz" if divisible by both)
    - Inheritance (asked to write a class and then another that is similar to it, how would the two be related in my design? would they have a common parent or would one be the subclass of another?)
    - What is a pipe in linux? How would you use |grep ?
    - How does multithreading work? What is a mutex? What is deadlock?
    - How would you design a database for this given situation (ER Diagram/Relational model)? Write a SQL query that would retrieve this information in your database design

Interview Questions

• Threading/database questions would be difficult for someone that had not taken system programming and databases.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a week. I interviewed at Bank of America (Charlotte, NC) in March 2014.

Interview

I applied through INROADS so I skipped the first round of the interview process. They called me in to their Charlotte office for the second round. I had three back to back 30 minutes interviews. I was expecting some hard technical stuff but they asked mainly behavioral questions and a few easy technical question

Interview Questions

• What are the three main components of object orientated programming   1 Answer

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Bank of America in January 2014.

Interview

Initial HR Phone interview followed by Technical Phone interview and Face to face.
    Technical interviews were standard web programming questions, with hiring manager, developer and senior manager. HR was very professional and did a good job with follow up and keeping me informed of status.

Interview Questions

• Nothing terribly difficult of unexpected - questions were ad hoc based on where the conversation went. Asked to explain design of recent system worked on.   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Bank of America.

Interview

There are five one and one interviews in the final round. Each of them is 30 minutes. The questions are combined with both technical and behavioral.

Interview Questions

• The questions are related to database and website application knowledge. They are not unexpected and I also think I answered them well.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newark, DE

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Bank of America (Newark, DE) in February 2013.

Interview

Contacted by recruiter for open position, went to Newark a few weeks later for an in person interview. First met by HR rep whom explained what to expect working at BOA as well as benefits associated with the position. Next I was taken to three separate interviews, each lasting about 30 minutes. First was a "Cultural Interview" which I was asked a few behavioral questions, then a "Technical Interview" in which the hiring manager explained about the position in detail. Lastly was a "Whiteboard Session" in which you are asked to draw a high level design of a project you have recently worked on. Overall the interview went great, but the lack of communication after the interview was severe. I was first told that they had moved on, then later brought back to Newark for a second interview. The second interview lasted maybe 20 minutes and was a complete waste of time. Weeks went by and I never heard a thing from BOA. The phrase "wishy washy" comes to mind when summing up this experience.