Bank of Canada Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Bank of Canada Interview Questions

Updated Jul 29, 2017

3.6

Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Bank of Canada.

Interview

Asked about my knowledge of financial markets, monetary policy and current events. Also talked about my technical skills in econometrics and statistical softwares. They also wanted to know about my programming abilities and asked about empirical projects I have worked on during my studies. I applied online and did an interview on skype.

Research Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Bank of Canada.

Interview

Only one round. Took place over web conference. Mostly technical interview, with little emphasis on fit questions. Mainly tested knowledge of economics and statistics. I was also asked to comment on current events and give an opinion on how the Bank should react to them.

Interview Questions

• Should the Bank interfere in the forex market to bring down the Canadian dollar?   Answer Question

Communications Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Bank of Canada (Ottawa, ON (Canada)).

Interview

Interview with panel (four people). Fairly long (almost an hour). Given written test to come up with a proposal before interview. Round robin of questions, some quite specific. Do your homework on current issues Bank faces.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Very straightforward.

Senior Trader/Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Bank of Canada (Ottawa, ON (Canada)) in April 2017.

Interview

Applied online. Contacted me back within 2 weeks, I was surprised that there was no phone screen they scheduled an interview in the Ottawa head office, and paid for the plane ride from Toronto.

Interview Questions

• What are some interesting developments you have seen in global fixed income? Do they follow the principles you have learned in the classroom, if not, how do real world events transpiring currently differ?   Answer Question

Economist Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Bank of Canada.

Interview

-mostly knowledge, skills, and problem based questions
    -be sure to be up on the Bank's role/actions, be well-versed in publications put out by that department, and know your macroeconomic theory and econometrics
    -presentation matters, but not as much as content - they respond better to smarts than style
    -few to no behavioral questions

Interview Questions

• Asked to describe how I would go about forecasting a given component of GDP.   Answer Question

Assistant Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Bank of Canada (Ottawa, ON (Canada)) in February 2017.

Interview

Very positive experience, even though I did not get an offer. Very professional and serious process.
    I applied online; soon after the deadline I got a phone call from HR, asking some basic questions. I was invited to Ottawa for a panel interview with the hiring manager and other two directors. They gave me a two hours written test, with three questions related to what the work would be. Followed by one hour interview. The two best candidates would be invited to a second round of interviews.

Interview Questions

• The classic questions, specific for this kind of job. They ask you to bring specif examples from your experience of how you behaved in certain situations.   Answer Question

Financial Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Bank of Canada.

Interview

The interview process was one round over skype. It involved a two people. I was contacted less than a week later telling me I got the job. I applied online with a cover letter and resume.

Interview Questions

• They start with the typical questions about the functions of the bank. Then they asked me about financial risk. They also asked about a portfolio of loans and how to evaluate the risks of them. Overall it was fairly technical but nothing incredibly challenging. That being said, I was very prepared and had a good understanding of finance.   Answer Question

Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Bank of Canada (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in December 2016.

Interview

Tough interview. The pre-interview exercise will be difficult, and you have around a few hours to do it. Familiarize yourself with Statistics Canada's website. Read the primers available on the Bank of Canada website as well, and brush up on your excel and econometrics notes.

Ra Interview

Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Bank of Canada (Vancouver, BC (Canada)).

Interview

It was a very technical process. There were two people and they take turns in asking econ/econometric questions. They expect you to know a lot of Economics and Econometrics for the interview. Prepare macro and econometrics well.

Interview Questions

• If an economist left the bank, what would you do? How does exchange rate affect the housing market?   Answer Question

Statistical Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Bank of Canada (Ottawa, ON (Canada)) in July 2016.

Interview

The process was normal as other interview. You submitted an online application and got a call to arrange an interview with you in a few weeks. It could be video interview or onsite interview depending on if you are physically in Ottawa or not. The interview was a panel interview with 3 committees.

Interview Questions

• some behavior questions and some technical questions   1 Answer