Bank of the West Interview Questions in San Ramon, CA | Glassdoor

Updated May 23, 2017

2.8

Statistical Modeler Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Ramon, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Bank of the West (San Ramon, CA) in April 2017.

Interview

WARNING: DO NOT TRUST ANYONE INVOLVED IN HIRING!

I was contacted by a recruiter (Granite Solutions Groupe) by phone in March 2017. That interview went well and they set me up with an onsite interview the following week. That interview went well. Then the recruiter informed me that they were making an offer. He gave me access to the onboarding portal where I signed all 24 required forms. The EVP of the recruiting agency also signed all the forms. They then called my references and did my background check, and everything checked out. In two different documents, the contract stated in writing my start date of 4/17/17. In other words, it was about the firmest and most formal offer you'll ever see. Turns out it was fake -- and the way they went about telling me that was even worse.

Once I signed the contract and had a confirmed start date, I suspended my job search and told other companies that I was taking another offer. I also had to go out and buy a car (I had recently moved from NYC and so didn't have one) and rent an apartment. Since I thought I would need to commute a long distance, I specifically bought a more expensive plug-in hybrid so that I would be eligible to drive in the carpool lane in California without any passengers. I looked around at apartments, but (fortunately) eventually decided to stay at Airbnb's at first until I knew more about whether the end date would be extended.

The recruiter told me that I would need to make a fingerprinting appointment before starting work, but that I would have to do so according to instructions sent directly from Bank of the West. I still hadn't received this email by Thursday of the week before my start date (which was a Monday), so I contacted the recruiter about it. They were actually recruiting for six identical Statistical Modeler positions, and they said they were constantly emailing and calling Bank of the West about the fingerprinting requirement and getting no response. They had no idea what was going on. The Friday before the start date, they told me that Bank of the West told them that their HR computer systems were having a problem, and that was why they were unable to send out the onboarding emails in a timely manner (spoiler: Bank of the West lied). When they lied to the recruiter, they never told him when this fake IT issue might be resolved. However, they did tell him that they had moved my job to a different department within the bank, and that the head of that department wanted to talk to me. I expressed my concern about whether this was meant to be an interview, but the recruiter assured me that it was only a formality so he could get to know me ahead of time. The offer, he said, was already signed and dated.

I had the "casual conversation" on the Monday that would have been my start date, and it was basically an interrogation. He didn't even say hello or any greeting to start the conversation, and just immediately dug into details about work I had done years ago and couldn't even remember. He bizarrely didn't seem to care about my recent work experience. Even if I had remembered all the details of my old work, I didn't have time to discuss it since he had to cut off the call at 30 minutes in. I started freaking out and had trouble sleeping. The recruiter called me the following morning to inform me that he was unable to contact anyone at Bank of the West and that he would definitely call me back later that day. He finally called me back before he left for work, and informed me that it's "all quiet on the Western Front."

The following day, the recruiter called me to inform me that Bank of the West was rescinding the offer. In the same manner, they also rescinded the offer to one of the other six people they had extended offers to. According to the signed and dated contract (which even to this day has not been modified), this was supposed to have been my third day of work. He said that Bank of the West didn't tell him why they rescinded those two offers, and that they would be providing no compensation. I asked him if he could get them to call me to at least explain what happened and maybe provide some compensation, and he told me that he would try to guilt them into doing something. The next day, he informed me that they didn't care one iota about what happened, and that they would not be contacting me to ever even explain what happened.

I talked to three attorneys to see if I could do anything about this legally. They all told me that since the "contract" said it was at-will, the "contract" wasn't really a contract. Of course, in practice many employers have this little thing called a conscience that prevents them from viciously lying to their employees or violating employment agreements -- but not Bank of the West! It would be possible to collect damages if I could prove a quantifiable dollar injury amount, but they said that would be difficult in my case. The system is rigged, as usual.

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Ramon, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Bank of the West (San Ramon, CA) in September 2016.

Interview

Over the phone, then face to cafe on site with panel. It took a while to get the face to face with teh panel set up, which denotes the team is very busy and needs more support.

Interview Questions

• My past experience in project management   1 Answer

Project Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Ramon, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Bank of the West (San Ramon, CA).

Interview

Went very well. If I didn't have a better offer I would have loved to work for this organization. Interview process was easy, smooth, and welcoming. The people were very friendly too.

Better offer somewhere else

Financial Reporting Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Ramon, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Bank of the West (San Ramon, CA) in March 2016.

Interview

Received the intial phone call from head recruiter, then got directed to a contractor, set up an appoiment then came to the office in San Ramon. 2 interviewers in 90 mins

Anonymous Employee in San Ramon, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Bank of the West (San Ramon, CA) in March 2016.

Interview

Two stage interview process:
    1. From HR representative, basic screening and confirm your application details
    2. From manager hiring: gave a general background of duties and projects expected, asked questions about capabilities to perform certain tasks

Liquidity Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Ramon, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Bank of the West (San Ramon, CA) in July 2015.

Interview

First, HR Interview by Phone. She has detailed questions regarding my finance experience. She knows a lot of finance technique things. Second, phone interview with hiring manager. Scheduled for half a hour, but it takes around one hour. A lot of technique questions. Third, half day in-person interviews with different managers and directors. Other departments' managers asked general HR and company related questions. But hiring director asked position related technique questions. Last round, hiring managers in-person interviews. A lot of technique questions. It takes a hour for scheduled half hour interview. I didn't get the offer due to start day conflict.

Interview Questions

• Please describe the process to prepare liquidity reports.   1 Answer

Corporate Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Ramon, CA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Bank of the West (San Ramon, CA) in June 2015.

Interview

Two rounds interview. One with the managers and the other with the director. For the interview with the manager, they hardly ask any question. Basically they were telling me the benefits of the internship in the whole process, and then answered your questions in the last couple minutes. Totally stress free. For the interview with the director, the first 15 minutes is basically the same as the first round. For the second half, he came with the mix of behavior questions and questions about your interest about the position/industry.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Ramon, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Bank of the West (San Ramon, CA) in June 2015.

Interview

The interview was around 2 hours and I met with 3 interviewers. They were really nice and they tried to make you feel comfortable. They explained the company culture and work responsibilities in details. But they preferred someone with master degree because the job requires strong skills in research and data analysis.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about the most complex document you have created in Excel and the features or tools
      that you used to create the document.
      Answer Question

BSA Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Ramon, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Bank of the West (San Ramon, CA) in June 2015.

Interview

I was contacted by a contract recruiter who found me on LinkedIn. She was sorta a hot mess, but I had high hopes. The hiring manager was really nice when we had our phone interview. When I was there for the in person interview I met with 5 people totaling almost two hours. It seemed to have gone well, everyone even responded my thank you notes. After the interview I never heard from anyone EVER again. Not even the generic thanks but no thanks HR automated email. It was seriously so weird that such a huge company gave me no closure. So rude and unprofessional.

Anonymous Employee in San Ramon, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Bank of the West (San Ramon, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

It was a simple two person telephone interview. The first person just wanted to make sure I was in the right place and applying for the right internship. The second call was a upper level management at the Bank. I gave simple answers to the first interviewer and he just wanted to make sure we were serious. The second interview was much more in-depth into what I wanted out of this internship and where I was wanting to go as far as the field of compliance and AML was concerned.

Interview Questions

• Why are you wanting this internship?
      Where do you see yourself working in 10 years?
      How is working here going to help you attain your goals?
      What sets you apart?