Bankers Life Sales Agent Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated May 17, 2017

1.9

65 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Parsippany, NJ

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Bankers Life (Parsippany, NJ).

Interview

I submitted a resume online to a job posting for an entry level sales position. I was contacted by a recruiter via email a few weeks later. We set up a time I could come in and meet with her manager, for what I assumed would be an interview. When I got there, I was directed to sit in a room with 10 or so other applicants. In walks a man who was not the branch manager I was told I was meeting with, who proceeds to give an hour long presentation on Bankers Life. It sounded like a cheesy motivational speech about how you can come from nothing and suddenly make 100k your first year if you just put in some hard work. I wasn't buying it. I was told If I wanted to meet with the manager I was originally told I was interviewing with, I would have to come back a second time. I politely declined and will not be going back there. They are willing to hire anyone they possibly can because their company relies on sheer quantity rather than quality. If someone quits immediately, they wouldn't care because they are already in the process of scamming someone else to replace them.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Bankers Life

Anonymous Employee in Tinton Falls, NJ

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Bankers Life (Tinton Falls, NJ) in April 2017.

Interview

Go for two days to a NJ office 45 minutes commute each way for separate talks on the company and benefits to the job; then return a third time for a 1 on 1 interview.

Interview Questions

• What's your response to working on "commission only" as a sales agent?   1 Answer

Sales Agent Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Bankers Life in October 2016.

Interview

Was called literally 35 minutes after posting my resume in Monster while applying for a position in my field. She asked if I would like to continue in my field of sales and marketing as I had similar experience listed on my resume I made a point of stating that I have no interest or ability for sales but was told it was not a problem and my skills fit the position they were looking for.

I had nothing to lose and even though there were warning bells ringing and it was an hour away I figured it was worth a shot so I went. When I got there I found that it was not an interview but a group presentation with several other people. Sat for an hour and listened to a compelling presentation given by the charismatic branch manager but still felt those warning bells.

Over the hour I felt a little more positive about the position and my ability to actually do this as it seemed that they just meet and learned about the clients and made an appropriate recommendation without any emphasis on selling large accounts. It all sounded quite good to my ears honestly. The fact that they had trouble moving into NY and operated under a slightly different name concerned me but it seemed okay otherwise.

They mentioned incentives and bonus as well as the very real possibility of making mid 6 figures income but made no mention of commission percentage or any base pay. They mentioned licensing requirements but not who would be responsible for the fees (were they withheld from pay or part of a paid training or the employees responsibly).

I left feeling ambivalent but still trying to think positively so I decided to do what I do best and research this company more. What I found was that my warning bells were dead on all along. I was actually a victim of a similar company in college nicknamed the J.U.I.C.E. cult (look it up) I should have known better.

Decline second interview. Only upside was that the office was near a Korean Market I like so I went shopping after.

Interview Questions

• No questions were asked of any candidate but we were given a questionnaire at the end.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Bankers Life (Raleigh, NC) in September 2016.

Interview

Applied through school job network, heard back from the recruiter about 30 minutes later asking to come to their office for an interview. Arrived at the office and was shown into a meeting room where other applicants were also sitting. I was then given a questionnaire to fill out to be given back at the end of the presentation. Listened to an agent present on what Bankers Life does and what some of their products are. Didn't really like the plan he laid out for us and was generally unpleased with the whole thing.

Interview Questions

• Asked general questions about insurance and answered questions applicants had   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Williamsport, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Bankers Life (Williamsport, PA) in August 2016.

Interview

Huge Group Interview and very unprofessional. It was like sitting through a presentation in high school all over again. The guy was really nice and tried to inspire us by saying our earning is as high as we want it to be. Also, they lie about $100,000 salary. It's a commission job.

Sales Agent Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Bankers Life in June 2016.

Interview

The interview coordinator and hiring manager both displayed very thorough communication with me. I received followup emails after scheduling both the initial and finals interviews. Both interviews were very well presented and all my questions answered.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I did not negotiate anything.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bensalem, PA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Bankers Life (Bensalem, PA).

Interview

I got a call from one of their associates because they saw my resume online. They gave me an interview opportunity even though I did not know the job description. Thought that I would have a try but finally found out it was total waste of time. When I arrived my name was not on the list (they sent me a confirmation email), not a big deal. There are about 7~8 people (different age, background, etc) sitting in the conference room. 5 mins later a manager walked in and gave us an 1-hr college-style presentation. Talked about the company's background, job description (well, the options were limited, be an agent or the manager of agents). During the lecture there were 2~3 occasions that you could ask questions. Imagine when you are in the class of college's most boring professor. I asked questions anyway, but I swear that there were people who spoke nothing during the hour. As other reviews stated, after the lecture, there was a questionnaire you had to fill out. They even asked if you have any friends' contact information that they might be interested in this position.

The agents' job is selling medicare, life insurance, annuities and all those financial instruments to seniors (65+). They claimed that this was "helping" those retirees. No base compensation, pure 100% commission. If you want to make some cash, shovel those insurance policies into retirees' throats and pray to God that they will renew those policies and live eternally. If a client dies, you lose your commission.

If you like to sell something that no one really understand to others and talk to seniors (you will have to drive to their homes), give this job a try. Otherwise if you are an analytical person like me, this job may not reach your expectations.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brentwood, TN

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Bankers Life (Brentwood, TN) in March 2016.

Interview

One of their recruiters contacted me and invited me to a "Career Information Briefing". They were extremely vague about the position, insinuating that it was a management position. Once I got there I discovered that you have to spend time as an agent before that it an option. Understandable, but something you would like to hear from the beginning.

They basically just try to get as many applicants as possible. This location was boasting about how they were going to be one of the top ranked locations in the nation soon due to them adding so many agents. They give a decent pitch about the job, potential earnings, perks, etc., then ask you to fill out a form in order to come back for an actual interview. Twice during the process they ask you to provide the names and contact info for people you know who may be interested in the job, which strikes me as a little unprofessional.

Interview Questions

The whole experience honestly felt like a timeshare pitch.

Anonymous Employee in Charleston, SC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Bankers Life (Charleston, SC) in October 2015.

Interview

Average interview. Some difficult questions at the end. Make sure you have practiced some so you don't seem unprepared! Only one interview after initial interview setup. Interviewing took around 45 min

Sales Agent Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Bankers Life in July 2015.

Interview

Posted resume on a job search website and was contacted shortly after with an email inviting me to set up an interview. At the interview, the following week, the interviewer described the job duties and asked a few brief questions about myself. Job income is purely commission based. Oddly enough, this insurance company does not offer any insurance for their sales agents; it's like you're considered a sub-contractor.

Interview Questions

• Are you willing to put in extra work, if needed, to make the amount of money you want to earn?   Answer Question