Barclays Global Investors Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Barclays Global Investors Interview Questions

3.3

Fixed Income Analyst Interview

Interview

The interview process was thorough and comprehensive. There were several sets of interviews with varying levels of management, management teams and departments. Questions ranged from work experience to scenario analysis, educational background, and current market analysis.

Portfolio Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Barclays Global Investors (San Francisco, CA) in August 2011.

Interview

The interview process was long. I met up with 7-8 people and talked mainly about career aspirations, working in teams, market in general rather than hard-core technical questions. The fit and team player are valued more than the ability to calculate difficult derivatives.

Engineering Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Barclays Global Investors (San Francisco, CA) in June 2010.

Interview

Interview consisted of two phone screens by members of the team. One was the project lead and the other was a senior engineer. The project lead threw me soft skill problems and the senior engineer asked me high level technical questions.

Afterwards, I was invited to the corporate headquarters for on site interviews. I performed a technical interview consisting of high level problems and programming with two members of the engineering team. Afterwards i spoke with the project lead once again.

Interview Questions

• Overall the questions weren't very difficult. Asked to explain Javas type system, object oriented programming, design patterns, data structures, search algorithms.   Answer Question

Negotiation

As a new graduate hire, I wasn't able to negotiate anything.

Executive Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Barclays Global Investors (San Francisco, CA) in November 2009.

Interview

contacted via email by internal recruiter, then scheduled a phone interview with recruiter before being brought in to meet the team. once in house, met with recruiter first to go over interviewing process and was in a conference room doing relay interviews with team. first came one of the managers who was not prepared to interview, continued to rave about current employee and how no one can replace this individual. then met with individual in current position, discussed responsibilities and was thanked for my time. recruiters come back to show me out. polite, quick in and out, about 2 hours.

Interview Questions

• what experience do you have working with xyz department, be specific in the tasks you have experience in and how you handle under pressure   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Barclays Global Investors (San Francisco, CA) in September 2009.

Interview

Positive and professional experience. Though no offer was extended, the lines of communication remained open.

Interview Questions

• Why do you feel prepared to fill this particular role?   Answer Question
    • When have you encountered a difficult situation that you had to overcome?   Answer Question

Human Resource Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jersey City, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Barclays Global Investors (Jersey City, NJ) in September 2009.

Interview

The interview process consisted of 3 rounds. The last of which was to fly me to CA for a face to face with the main office. The organization asked a lot of "non-related" questions. How many children I had, what were their ages/names/etc. At first I thought it was a test & wasn't sure how I should answer. Then I realized they were "comfortably" trying to get information from me to base the hiring decision.

See above.....

Network Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Barclays Global Investors (New York, NY) in July 2009.

Interview

For 3 to 4 weeks the recruiter kept calling me to setup this interview. I have been out of work so I was very available but the recruiter could not seem to get a time from the hiring manager. I finally got a date with a day to prepare. The recruiter made a big deal out of my preparation asking me technical questions she did not even understand. One question was on access lists and I told here I needed to know if the statement was "permit" or "deny" to answer the question. She when off on how I should reply to questions I could not answer. I could not believe it as I have known access lists for 10 years! I know how they work. Anyway, I was given two contacts and arrived 15 minutes early. One of the contacts, the hiring manager could not be reached by the security desk. The second contact, one of the crew allowed me up. He was not at all prepared and did not even have an office or conference room ready. After finding an open room, we talked about the position for about 20 minutes. I was driving the whole interview as this tech didn't know what to ask me and focused on all of the bad points of the position. After 20 minutes this tech leaves to get the hiring manager and never comes back. I was waiting and waiting. I tried to look up his number on the Cisco phone in the room but it did not have a company directory. At this point it was two hours after the scheduled interview time. I called the recruiter and walked out the door. I know things come up but this was ridiculous. You could have called the recruiter to reschedule or maybe send somebody up to let me know what is going on. This guy could care less about me at the very first meeting attempt. I would never, ever work for this manager and feel very sorry for the sucker that takes this position.

Interview Questions

• Have you worked with DWDM?   1 Answer

Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Barclays Global Investors in June 2009.

Interview

The interview was very professional and focused primarily on my resume. Questions ranged from general fit to specific internships. Emphasis was placed on relocation to San Francisco and previous relevant work experience. Overall what I expected from an initial telephone interview. Although it went well, another candidate with direct experience in the area was given the job.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to begin a career in investment management?   Answer Question

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Barclays Global Investors (San Francisco, CA) in February 2009.

Interview

The process was efficient, transparent and professional. I received email from the (internal) recruiter within 24 hours of applying online (from employee referral link). I was given an overview of the process up front: 1) phone screen by the recruiter, 2) phone interview with hiring manager; 3) two half day interviews with team (with the option to not be invited back for the second day). I made it through the hiring manager. She was impressed but said I'd be a better fit for another organization and asked the recruiter facilitate an intro. The recruiter told me she would pass my resume on for any posting I saw and was interested in. At Barclays, internal referrals go a long way. The interviews were all behavioral -- e.g., "give me an example when" type questions. All employees are trained in this methodology. It's a super energized, ambitious but with low ego tolerance environment.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you had to manage a difficult employee and provide uncomfortable coaching. What did you do and how did it turn out?   Answer Question
    • Describe a time when you were asked to take on a project with little or no expertise or background in the topic, how did you approach it and what was the outcome?   Answer Question

Strategy Researcher Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Barclays Global Investors in February 2009.

Interview

Thorough phone interviews with thorough one on one interviews of folks from varying departments relevant to your position. It is a consensus based culture, so expect to meet lots of cross-functional groups if it is relevant to your position. Cultural fit is key. Communication and relationships are key to the business, so how you build social and professional relationships are key to your success. Understanding the people and getting to know the people are key to understanding the business. Skill fit is definitely important and the minimum threshold for consideration, but stellar skills and performance will be outweighed by integrity, ethics, and people-skills. If you are looking for a traditional banking culture that's highly competitive and cut-throat, BGI probably is not the best cultural fit for you.

Interview Questions

• What were the aspects of your past positions that you found most difficult or challenging?   Answer Question
    • How would your peers from past positions best describe you or what were you most known for?   Answer Question

Negotiation

BGI has a strong culture - so first, consider the cultural fit before anything else; thereafter consider the job fit with your skills and thereafter, consider the financial fit with your budget. It is an incentive based rewards culture, so dont get too hung up with base salary or title. BGI has some of the best benefits I have seen in a corporation; you would be lucky to find a company that still offers the kind of benefits that BGI offers.